1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rescuers 35th Anniversary Edition and The Rescuers Down Under Blu-ray available for preorder on

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
  2. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    Note that these were both theatrical releases, and well up to the Disney animation quality we love. The sequel is about as good as the original. A blind buy, unlike films such as POCAHONTAS and FOX AND HOUND which are paired with very inferior sequels.

3. MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60 I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific

Stephen Lilley
    I *loved* THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER when I was a kid. Loved it. Adored it. But I watched it maybe five or so years ago, and in my opinion it doesn't hold up at all. However, I suspect it will look amazing on Blu-ray, as if it had one thing going for it, it was its animation.
    THE RESCUERS is still pretty incredible, though.
    I started revisiting movies I loved as a child in college (THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER, JAWS 3, SUPERMAN IV, ALIEN 3, etc...) and determined the following:
    1. As a child, I was an idiot, and
    2. I was consistently very, very close to liking something awesome, but for some bizarre reason I always gravitated towards the entries in a particular franchise that were bad.
    I'd like to think that in recent years I have corrected both of those two things, but I suppose the verdict is still out :)

4. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Well-Known Member

Joel Henderson
    Hope Rescuers Down Under is DDD sourced this time.

5. SilverWook

SilverWook Well-Known Member

Bill
    I presume those infamous frames in The Rescuers that triggered a recall of the VHS will not be restored? :D
    Anyone else remember a contest from when the first film came out where one of the prizes was a replica of The Devil's Eye? I always wondered if it looked like the gem in the movie.

6. darkrock17

darkrock17 Well-Known Member

Andrew McClure
    A replica of The Devil's Eye? never heard of that, was it a real diamond?

7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I don't remember that. Please enlighten me, you've got me curious.

8. SilverWook

Bill
    That's what I've wondered all these years. A real gem that big would have been more costly than an all expenses paid trip to Disneyworld.(Which I think was one of the other prizes.) Some obsessive Disneyana collector must know...

9. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Well-Known Member

Sam Favate
    Both are good films (not great). Down Under has some really nice animation, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it one of the first times computers were used in the animation process? Those sweeping views of the scenery?

10. dana martin

dana martin Well-Known Member

Dana Martin
    so well done,ut itink Disney's better limited use was the clock towerin The Great Mouse Dective, that whole sequence is just outstanding

11. cafink

cafink Well-Known Member

The Rescuers Down Under was indeed one of the earlier animated films to use CGI. I was just looking at some clips on Youtube and am impressed at how well they hold up over 20 years later! I've been on an '80s/'90s animation kick lately and can't wait to watch this on Blu-ray.

12. Jason_V

Jason_V Well-Known Member

Jason
    The Disney Movie Rewards Facebook page is reporting an August 21 release date.

13. SilverWook

Bill
    I'm pretty sure The Black Cauldron used CGI for the one shot of all the "fake" cauldrons flying around and taking off into the distance.

14. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Well-Known Member

The frames of which you speak were not on the initial 1992 Laserdisc or VHS releases, but they were on the January 1999 VHS and Laserdisc. The Laserdisc street date was a week or two after the VHS, and it was about a week or so after the VHS was released that the recall happened. The Laserdisc never even hit store shelves, although distributors had received stock. I had mine preordered so they sent it to me. :) I wonder how many collectors got their hands on one. Not many people seem to know about the recall or naughty frames, and even fewer seem to know why they are there on the 1999 release but are not on the 1992 edition.

15. cafink

cafink Well-Known Member

I've long been curious about how those frames got there. Snopes says:
    "The two 'topless woman' frames had reputedly been present in the film ever since its original 1977 theatrical release (a fact apparently confirmed by Disney, whose spokesperson said that the tampering 'was done more than 20 years ago'), although Disney claims that they were not included in the 1992 home video version because 'it was made from a different print.' Disney also claimed that the images were not placed in the film by any of their animators, but were inserted during the post-production process."
    I don't know quite enough about how movies are made to make sense of this. It sounds like, after the film was complete, there were multiple copies. Why? For what purpose? I mean, it doesn't sound like this was an actual release print, because they wouldn't have used that for the video, right?

16. SilverWook

Bill
    I lucked out in getting a sealed copy on Ebay at the time. Just like that recalled Best of Roger Rabbit disc, Disney just wasn't fast enough. ;)
    It's curious this never seemed to get as much notice as all the things people only imagine they see or hear in other Disney films.

17. John Weller

John Weller Well-Known Member

Was The Rescuers Dolby on its original release?

18. Guest

The funny this is, I think the naughty frames were on the Wonderful World of Disney opening and can be seen on various Disney movies released under that Wonderful World label on dvd (ex. The Sword and the Rose.)

19. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    No. I don't think any of the animated films got Dolby soundtracks until The Black Cauldron, although I have heard conflicting reports on whether The Fox and the Hound was.

20. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Well-Known Member

Joel Henderson
    Yeah Fox and the Hound was probably mono originally. It has a RCA Photophone credit (the last film I think to have such a thing) instead of a Dolby credit.