What's new

The re-announcement of the preannouncement denial of 'Badder Santa' in BD (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Well, maybe someday the Studio's and their press people will actually start talking together. After being announced a few weeks ago, then promptly denied by Buena Vista, it is now reconfirmed. Badder Santa is coming to blu-ray.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
This is what I was getting at in the Sergio Leone thread. I think we're seeing glimpses of things to come sooner than the companies want. During this whole format war, the studios have been playing their cards frustrating close to their vests.

In a weird turn of events, at least to me, it seems that foreign announcements are ahead of US ones, but, hopefully, they will be a good indicator of what's in store.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The studios simply don't want to tip their hand earlier than they are ready to. Combine that with potential production problems that would cause delays, they are being VERY cautious.

I personally know of a couple titles from one studio that are finished, packaging and all, but have yet to be announced. One of them is a AFI Top 100 film. Why isn't it announced? The studio has concerns over production problems.

But I expect an announcement soon that will make some people very, very happy.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

I know you can't really elaborate, but by "production problems" do you mean compatibility issues or something else entirely?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Hopefully this means that LOST may indeed be coming later this year.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Brandon, well you just aren't any fun at all. :P

I'm guessing Lawrence of Arabia on BD. And that's my final answer. ;)

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
Lawrence of Arabia is something I am just ecstatic to see on BD.

On a completely different level, I'm also excited about Badder Santa. It's simply one of the funniest movies in recent memory.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Lawrence is well known to be on the way via thedigitalbits.com and other websites, as well as Sony's own promo trailer on their BD titles. It wasn't one of the titles I was referring to, but it certainly is being held up for similar reasons.

So, the best I can offer is: try again. ;)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
They're announcing a title all the way into Nov?! Does Disney announce things out of turn or can we expect nothing from Aug to Oct?

There's a ton of recent non-animated titles (Pulp Fiction, Sin City, Kill Bill 1 and 2, Tombstone, Open Range, The Sixth Sense, Jackie Brown, Signs, Unbreakable, From Dusk Til Dawn, Crimson Tide, Hero, Chronicles of Narnia, etc) which Disney controls that I'd love to own in HD but unfortunately for me Bad Santa isn't one of them.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?

Also, how much of it is really compatibility and production issues, and how much of it is lackluster sales, even in HD terms, of classic titles?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

No reason to not release these titles because of lackluster sales if they're already finished. Production has already been paid for. Why not allow it to reach the market and make some money back? Any sales are better than no sales for a finished product.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Limited production capacity? That has at least seemed to be something of an issue for BD, and a studio might want to use what they can get on things they're more sure they will sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks