Real Name
Mike

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Do you honestly believe there is any company in the world that has an advanced product ready to roll, designed, produced in mass quantities, packaged and sores in warehouses, that waits until the mood strikes it right? Sounds pretty dumb to me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do you honestly believe there is any company in the world that has an advanced product ready to roll, designed, produced in mass quantities, packaged and sores in warehouses, that waits until the mood strikes it right? Sounds pretty dumb to me.
Isn't that what has been rumored about the AppleTV? They were thought to announce it earlier, then held off because the deals weren't in place.

If you were Roku, do you announce before Apple (get initial buzz and then forgotten) or after (hope to get buzz in case new ATV is a disappointment, and ride that to Xmas.?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You know my feelings on rumors :). That said I don't recall any channel checks that said mass quantities were being built pre WWDC and holding for partner readiness is not in the same league as waiting for consumer acceptance.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
You know my feelings on rumors :). That said I don't recall any channel checks that said mass quantities were being built pre WWDC and holding for partner readiness is not in the same league as waiting for consumer acceptance.
Fair enough.

But I can see some potential wisdom in having your new product read, in stock, and waiting a month to time the launch perfectly.

Or, try this on for size (since I'm spinning tales): Roku had the launch date set for this Fall, but development or manufacturing yields were better than expected. They were stocked for launch earlier sooner than planned, but have chosen to stay with their marketing plans.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Really like the thought of a hard drive that is rumored to be in the new Apple tv, something my Roku players are lacking. Would like to see 3D support along with 4K (why we need the hard drive) I really don't care what brand my next streamer is, I only care how it functions. Most of all though it has to be more of an open system than the current Apple tv. A must would be an app store with ALL the other movie channels like Vudu. Roku has tremendous app support. I think there are over 2000 regular apps and probably that many more private channels. It's true that 90% of us would only use a fraction of those but, choice is nice and people have different tastes. Yesterdays new channel on Roku was exploitation tv, not my cup of tea but there will be those who like it. Exploitation is another private channel. Hopefully Apple raises the bar comes out with something more than an itunes player.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think there's not a hard drive, but up to 16 GB flash ram (like in your iPhone)
Really like the thought of a hard drive that is rumored to be in the new Apple tv, something my Roku players are lacking. Would like to see 3D support along with 4K (why we need the hard drive) I really don't care what brand my next streamer is, I only care how it functions. Most of all though it has to be more of an open system than the current Apple tv. A must would be an app store with ALL the other movie channels like Vudu. Roku has tremendous app support. I think there are over 2000 regular apps and probably that many more private channels. It's true that 90% of us would only use a fraction of those but, choice is nice and people have different tastes. Yesterdays new channel on Roku was exploitation tv, not my cup of tea but there will be those who like it. Exploitation is another private channel. Hopefully Apple raises the bar comes out with something more than an itunes player.
That "hard drive" might not be what you're hoping for. It's modest storage for apps, maybe a limited selection of local music or a recently purchased movie.

“While the new Apple TV will include an App Store for deep support for gaming, sources say that the limited storage offered by 8GB and 16GB flash memory is appropriate for the new model, as all content outside of applications will be streamed directly from the Internet. ”

http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/02/apple-tv-4-2015-specs/

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
DaveF said:
I think there's not a hard drive, but up to 16 GB flash ram (like in your iPhone)
That "hard drive" might not be what you're hoping for. It's modest storage for apps, maybe a limited selection of local music or a recently purchased movie.

“While the new Apple TV will include an App Store for deep support for gaming, sources say that the limited storage offered by 8GB and 16GB flash memory is appropriate for the new model, as all content outside of applications will be streamed directly from the Internet. ”

http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/02/apple-tv-4-2015-specs/
Might be enough? I'm use to streaming most everything but, with 4K video I'm not sure I'll have enough bandwidth so even enough to download a movie at a time might work ok.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
DaveF said:
The AppleTV is also rumored to *not* support 4k.
That would be surprising to me. I think the newest streamers coming out have been supporting 4K. Apple needs to stop following and lead the way like they use too. If it doesn't have 4K it will not only be not following....just falling behind.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That would be surprising to me. I think the newest streamers coming out have been supporting 4K. Apple needs to stop following and lead the way like they use too. If it doesn't have 4K it will not only be not following....just falling behind.

Well, people don't seemed particularly enthused about 4k TVs. And there's minimal 4k content; mostly a few shows from Netflix. There doesn't seem to be a rush to release a 4k streaming box. If Apple doesn't do it this year, and 4k starts taking off, they can refresh the model next year or the year after as needed with 4k support.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Which is not to say that you're wrong or they won't have 4k :) That's not something I'm personally interested in right now. I'm more interested in the AppleTV for occasional music in the house and showing photos and silly things like that. I've got a Tivo for streaming and TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks