What's new

The promise of an Apple TV (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Yamaha RX-V995, circa 1999. Other than a lack of HDMI, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and I see no reason to replace it.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
To add to my above post, I would like to replace it sometime in the future but I have no reason to right now. When we rearranged our living room a few years ago, I didn't rehang my surround speakers and removed my center channel. I still have the blu-ray player and an AppleTV connected to the Yamaha receiver with TosLink cables and still have my Anthem amp in the equipment rack but only the front left and right channels are connected. When I stream music, I use the amp and my Paradigm mains in stereo mode but for movies, I only use the receiver and headphones.

There's a chance we will be moving next spring and then I may look at getting a new receiver or pre/pro and amp and doing a 7.1 channel setup.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I guess we just have very different world views. It's clearly affecting your enjoyment of the hobby to not have a modern receiver. You can replace a 16 year old receiver with amazing new tech for as cheap as $100 and get a world class one for a couple hundred bucks... For someone who obviously enjoys HT like you do Clinton I don't see it as a splurge but a near necessity. =)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For Clinton...I'd offer him an Integra DTR 5.8(essentially an Onkyo 605 with preouts) with the remote and a printed manual(which Integra has online anyway) for the remote codes(how "current" they are...no clue) for $175...shipped.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Posten said:
I guess we just have very different world views. It's clearly affecting your enjoyment of the hobby to not have a modern receiver. You can replace a 16 year old receiver with amazing new tech for as cheap as $100 and get a world class one for a couple hundred bucks... For someone who obviously enjoys HT like you do Clinton I don't see it as a splurge but a near necessity. =)
I don't like to tell people how to spend their monies so I won't start now. However, I could never stick with the same receiver for 16 years after so many tech advances in that time span. I've bought five different receivers in the last four years alone. Come next year, I'll probably buy another one for the new audio codecs and 4K/UHD.

P

Patrick Donahue

Regarding what's going on with the audio weirdness in the ATV - I found this in another forum and thought it spells it out perfectly. The question now is if it's just a bug that can be fixed or if this is how it's supposed to be...

What the content starts as -> sound output via HDMI

Auto Mode:

5.1 -> 7.1 PCM (2 channels not active)

2.0 -> 2.0 PCM

Dolby Surround Mode*

5.1 -> 5.1 Dolby bitstream

2.0 -> 5.1 Dolby bitstream (only left and right active)

Stereo Mode

5.1 -> 2.0 PCM

2.0 -> 2.0 PCM

One poster I read said there is a bug with the Auto Mode - it is supposed to be bitstreaming DD or DD+ to the receiver to let it decode but instead decodes it itself and sends 7 channel PCM.

*In this mode, no matter what the content starts as, whether it be 7.1 or 2.0, it comes out as 5.1

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
That's interesting. Right now, I'm not getting it to transmit bitstream anything, it's always decoded multichannel. Hmm. Again, no DTS of any sort support, to my knowledge.

P

Patrick Donahue

A highly polished experience, to be sure ;)

image.jpeg

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
I got a question that applies to the 2nd-4th generation Apple TVs that I haven't got a clear answer on

When you stream media from your PC/Mac to the Apple TV (using the Home Sharing feature on iTunes), will it save or cache the media to the Apple TV's internal storage like when you stream from iTunes on the Apple TV?

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
I just realized this week that the GPU in the Apple A8 chip/4th-Gen Apple TV is in the same PowerVR 6XT Series as the GPU in the 2nd-gen Amazon Fire TV. Not only that, the Apple TV (GX6450) has the higher-end GPU over the Fire TV (GX6250).

That means Hardware-wise, the Apple TV should be able to play 4K video. I wonder why Apple is holding it back.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
satam55 said:
That means Hardware-wise, the Apple TV should be able to play 4K video. I wonder why Apple is holding it back.

Me thinks its just another product to sell. If Apple can keep people upgrading....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
satam55 said:
I just realized this week that the GPU in the Apple A8 chip/4th-Gen Apple TV is in the same PowerVR 6XT Series as the GPU in the 2nd-gen Amazon Fire TV. Not only that, the Apple TV (GX6450) has the higher-end GPU over the Fire TV (GX6250).

Because the GPU supports it MEANS NOTHING. It's the rest of the hardware chain that matters. There is nothing to indicate that the rest of the hardware stack has 4k compliant hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks