What's new

THE PRODUCERS (2005) - Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

RafaelB

Second Unit
After seeing an advance preview for it last night, I fully accepted that I don't like the Producers as a musical on stage nor on film. I felt that the direction was extremely passive, Stroman just let the camera lie there staionary for minutes at a time. THe only time when the movie came to life was in Matthew Broderick's first big number "I Wanna Be A Producer" and it became very Busby Berkley-like. After that it became a simple retread of the extremely overrated (IMO) show.

Oh, and Will Ferrell also lived up to expectations. He breathed life into his character and just made it his own.

Nathan Lane does the same old schtick he's been doing for the past decade and in this movie, it just comes across as a bad Zero Mostel imitation.

Brooks' original film, to me, is one of the funniest movies ever made, which is why I keep looking for something that matches the wit and greatness in this musical version and I just don't find it. Very disappointing. :frowning:

On the other hand, if you don't want to spend $100 on a ticket to see the show, just go see the movie. With the exception of a couple of trims, the movie is a carbon copy replica of the show.

Rafael.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Watched today. HILARIOUS. I was with a crowd that laughed as I did all the way through, and definitely stay for the credits :)

Great stuff. I love the original film, but I also love the stage show, I just consider them "different takes on the same story" But I've always admired both for what they do well. The film struck me as dead on; and I personally loved the direction. In a strange way, the lighting and setting as well as camera angles was earily reminiscent of early era musicals like "Sound of Music" or "Singing in the Rain" having a very dead forward camera angle that I thought gave it a sort of wide-eyed view of the world I found very refreshing.

The audience I was with laughed throughout, as did I. This is the kind of film that I wish more were like; it was keenly aware that it was entertainment and did not make any bones about it. Moments were intentionally overplayed, gags were out in front, and everything was played for a laugh.

Great stuff, definitely worth the price of admission!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Viewed 12/30/05

I found the direction lazy and uninspired. There were too many closeup that just didn't work for the material. I wanted to see both actors in the shot for many scenes, but it was cut to Leo, cut to Max, etc., which just didn't click with me. It would have been better to go wider for many of the scenes.

Broderick was just scary in the 1st act in setting up Leo's neuroses, though Lane was better at setting up Max's character, and that led to the film getting off on a rocky start, but it got rolling well, with Will Ferrell providing some laughs as the scriptwriter for the play that seemed to guarentee a first night closing for Leo and Max production of "Springtime for Hitler". Uma was okay, nothing all that spectacular (well, she looked great, but her singing was so-so), Gary Beach and Roger Bart were the saving grace of the film for me as they cracked me up throughout all their scenes.

The film never quite transcends the play, and for that it just plows on until the end where it kind of limps to the finish line.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Saw this yesterday, I liked it a lot, and I was a fan of the show when I saw it a few years ago. I'd say that the show is probably better as a show than the movie is as a movie, but I still enjoyed it very much. It's true that Uma isn't a great singer, but that sure isn't what I care about whenever Ulla shows up. She's scorching hot, and pretty funny as well, which is more than enough for me. Will Ferrell's take on Franz Liebkind was definitely a lot of fun.

I do think Matthew is a bit of a weak link at times, actually. The scene where Leo and Max first meet is basically the same as it is in the '68 film. Nathan has his own shtick, which isn't Zero, but it's fun and it works well. But Matthew isn't doing much different from what Gene Wilder did, which just emphasizes the fact that Wilder was a lot better at it. For the most part, I think Matthew's OK, certainly in his musical numbers, but he doesn't bring much to some of his other scenes.

If you see it, be sure to stay through the end of the credits. Ferrell sings a corny heart-warming synthesized rendition of Der Guten Tag Hop-Clop, called "The Hop Clop Goes On," which is hilarious. And the very final song from the show makes an appearance at the very end of the credits as well.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I didn't expect this film to be a smash hit like "King Kong" but I did expect it to do better at the boxoffice. Even "Rent" did better and "Rent" didn't do well at all. I hope Hollywood stills produces musical films. With the Expection of "Chicago" the last few tries (Phantom of the Opera, Rent, The Producers) all failed to make any impact. I know Warner Bros. is in pre-production for a film version of "Dreamgirls" set for a Dec 2006 release. "Sweeney Todd" is also in development but the future of Musicals isn't looking so good.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I think it's a shame that Universal decided to start with a limited release...and on a weekend where King Kong, Chronicles of Nardia and Jim Carry were opening. They never did release this wide, it's in 984 theaters and now the number is dropping. Looking locally, it's now only playing one or two shows a day.

I liked the movie, probably because I love this show. I saw the touring company 6 times in Minneapolis.. I have to agree with other posters here that Susan Strohman was the wrong choice for director. Where is Rob Marshall when you need him, he should be directing these musicals. Susan is awesome with her stage work but even Mel himself could have done a better job. Susan had the cast overacting like you have to do on stage to project, it was not a personal film at all. To those comparing it to the old movie version, it's getting kind of tiring hearing about that, it's a different version and should have been given a chance without all the comparisons....

This was the first time I thought Will Farrell did a good job. Having seen this many times 0n stage, I knew he was a good choice, otherwise I think he is usually very boring and not very funny. I also think a big mistage was made cutting out "King of Broadway," that is the song that lets you know who Max really is and about his career, and warms you up to him and gives you some sympathy for him. Instead I wish they would have cut "It's bad luck to say good luck on opening night," I felt that was always the weakest song in the show. I really hope they restore King of Broadway for the dvd, as I have heard it was filmed, and it's on the soundtrack cd as an extra. The number "Beytrayed" worked beautifully on stage, I think it totally failed here and should have been edited down to a shorter song, people in the theater used that time to get more popcorn and were not into it.

I think Mathew, especially, overacted. Susan's camera work was uninspired. I do love the songs and the orchestrations, and some of the scenes were filmed very well, especially "I Wanna Be A Producer" and "Little Old Ladyland." I think the film will do well on dvd, but I shutter to think, after Phantom, Rent and now this, of the bleak future for movie musicals. I guess Chicago was just a fluke, because the others were bad.

Still, I'll buy the dvd because it's the only way to see the musical whenever I want, and it's really a pretty decent copy of the stage show, aside from some of its shortcomings. I knew this movie would never go over with the main movie crowds and especially the 16-24 set. The funniest scene remains the "Keep it Gay" number, but in both screenings, I heard the younger unsophisticated crown laughing at the the characters, instead of finding humor in the idea of the scene itself. It was pretty disturbing to sit there and hear these kids make bigoted comments about "fags" and "gays." Thank God for home video and choosing our own audience to view films. Sad the younger people (and many older) can't respect others for their choice in lifestyle, color, and religions, that's supposed to be what this country is about.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I saw this last weekend, and if it's at all indicative of the Broadway show I really don't see how it became the Broadway smash it was - people must have been really desperate to find something to laugh at after 9/11 that year. I've never seen the original movie just FYI.

I'm all for escapism, and I have to admit that Mel Brooks stuff is rather hit or miss with me, but at least make it worth my time to listen to most of the songs. "Betrayed" is perhaps the most superfluous song I've ever experienced, it reiterates practically the same line every two seconds ("I'm betrayed" - oh really, I didn't hear it the last twenty times you said it in this ONE VERSE!!!), tells us a story we JUST SAW, and is just plain annoying.

I know Lane and Broderick can do good work, I just wish they'd done it here. For the leads I had no sympathy or empathy for them, nor did I feel compelled to be interested in their stories. The more minor characters of the director, Will Ferrel's character, and Ula overshadowed the leads partly because Lane's and Brodericks performances were so overbearing I just shut down watching them. Sure, EVERYONE was overacting but at least those characters were somewhat funny doing it.

I also need to admit that when I originally saw the trailer I sort of chuckled at the prominent, "Directed by Susan Stroman," thinking to myself, "Is that supposed to impress someone in the film world or something." Putting aside my feelings that everything she touches as a director ends up with a sickening sheen of over-sentimentality (she can choreograph up a storm though), I didn't think handing her the reins to a film was a wise idea. She did nothing with the camera, and it may as well have been released as a direct-to-DVD videotaped release of the stage show in some cases. She used enough pretty well known Broadway faces in the movie's chorus as it is.

In any case, just really didn't like it aside from "Keep it Gay" simply for its absurdity. The rest was just really pretty painful and dull by the end of it.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Sean, I agree with most of what you said. It's a shame too, I think the biggest mistake was Susan Strohman......imagine what Rob Marshall, or even Mel could have done. I figured the film was in good hands because Mel would be there to assist her, but from what I heard he just handed the film over to her. I especially agree with you about "Betrayed." This was one great number on stage and had alot of energy, though I never cared much for the song. Instead, they cut Max's introduction song King of Broadway, which as I previously stated, is the song that lets you know who Max is and gives you some feeling for him. I think this was Susan's doing as well. Mr. Broderick overacted (responsibility of the director), causing one to consider him a total annoying nut, instead of a nice decent guy with a few problems, I think that hurt the story too.

The camera work is almost zip..there is a 7 oir 8 minute segment when the camera never moves...there could have been some great imaginative shots and opening up of the story. The only one seemed to be the little old ladies. Even the jailhouse didn't look like a prison, but a stage prison . I still enjoyed it but as I keep stating, when you watch this, there's definately something wrong with the entire concept that was used for filming it, if there was one. OH MEL, why didn't you direct it at least be there and use some of your filming experience. I have the feeling he's sorry now. I also think Universal didn't handle the release right, opening on such a weekend as big blockbuster event movies....and not opening it wide right away on a weekend without SO MUCH competition. They made the same mistake last year with Cinderella Man. It got buried, as did The Producers, among the summer and holiday event films.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer

In the hardcover book "THE PRODUCERS making of a musical," it says that Nathan one day at rehearsal, as a joke, said the line with the F word, and they were all in hysterics, and decided to use it. It's on the soundtrack cd as a bonus track, so let's hope it goes back into the film with the entire song.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I saw this the other night with my wife, and I tend to agree with the critisisms here. Pretty much, this wasn't much more than a record of the stage show, rather than a movie adaptation of the stage show. It was way too stage-bound, and the acting was more in the style of being on stage, rather than being filmed. It works alright for Lane, since Bialiystock is supposed to be a ham of sorts, but it hurts Broderick's performance, particularly since Wilder did it so much better.

It was also very disappointing that there was no imagination in adapting it to the screen. Basically most of the song numbers are nearly identical to what they did on stage. Also, without the benefit of an intermission, the end of the film really drags, particularly when you have "Betrayed", which basically recaps the film.

This definitly could have been something. Unforunatly, it is a missed oportunity.

Jason

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
The movie cost in the 20-some million, so I think it's close to recouping the cost, and I think the dvd will make them more money than the theatrical issue did. Of course, the studios consider break-even a bomb now-a-days. For a Mel Brooks movie, it's profit percentage is pretty bad.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
According to BoxOfficeMojo.com "The Producers" cost $45M (a Universal/Columbia co-production, so the risk was split between the two studios). The film is nearing the end of its unfortunately abbreviated domestic run and has yet to surpass the $20M mark in domestic grosses---it's far from recoupment. And the returns from the UK, probably the only international market where "The Producers" would have had much of a chance(the stage version has had a successful run in London), have been disappointing.

As a big fan of the stage version---I saw the Broadway company with Lane and Broderick six times---I enjoyed the film but acknowledge that the staginess makes it an acquired taste. I hope it finds a broader audience on DVD.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I can't wait for the dvd, I have heard they are restoring the filmed "King of Broadway," Nathan's best number. I have seen the stage show many times and loved it, and have the Broadway-cast cd...but the soundtrack cd is a total improvement., Much bigger orchestra, better orchestrations, and a "10" as far as quality. I'll be watching the dvd many many times. It may not be the best film that could have been made, but for those of us who saw it on stage, it's a very loyal copy for us to watch all the time. I still say Mel could have done a better job directing, and wish it would have been someone as inventive as Rob Marshall (Chicago). This man knows how to make a film musical, and sadly, hasn't done any more since Chjicago.

It's a shame, the boxoffice totals. It did not hit 19 million in the USA, and the number of theaters dropped dramatically every week, and it never had a really wide release. Personally, I think the big mistake was releasing it when America had so many movies to see, Kong, Narida, Dick & Jane, Chicken Little, and all the other holday films. I think it would have done better in January or another month sans all that competition. I do think the dvd will heavily out-do the theatrical gross.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"I do think the dvd will heavily out-do the theatrical gross"

That shouldn't be too hard. Most people who like these films are older and wait to see them at home. Theaters are for the young. Plus I believe musicals do better on home video than in the theaters as a rule.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
There has been no USA announcement yet for The Producers dvd, but DVDactive has posted the artwork, which of course is for Region 2, and they give a date of Mid-April, here's the link (I can't wait, I loved it, especially the musical score, this movie is one great sounding recording):

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas....html#postform

if that link doesn't work, it's on the front page of dvdactive.com half way down, click on Producers. I am very surprised they only put last names, and left off Mel Brooks from the cover, or saying something about the movie of the biggest Tony winning show ever...wow! Not even a dancer on the cover, and it is a musical, but I noticed even on the trailers here in the USA, they didn't show much of the musical aspect, and when they showed clips before the release on shows like Ellen, ect...it was always a comedy scene, never a musical number. On Inside the Actors Studio, they did an hour with Broderick and Lane, and showed 4 clips, none were songs.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Personally I loved the film. I was really quite anxious going into it, which all the negative comments going around, but it worked for me. It probably helped that, having heard the criticisms of the film before seeing it, I was prepared for some of the things that might have bothered me (especially the way Lane and - especially - Broderick were playing to the stage rather than the screen), and so I was able to dismiss that and enjoy it for what it was. Sure, there was basically no concession to try and make it work as a movie - it was just the musical on larger sets. But dammit if I didn't laugh the whole way through the film. The material is so strong that it overcomes the negatives.

Of course, I'm hardly unbiased. The original is one of my favourite comedies, and I decided to go on holiday to Australia a couple of years ago just so I could see the show. But the two guys I saw the film with were completely new to the material (one guy didn't even know it was a musical until I asked him if he realised that) and they both really enjoyed it, were laughing along with it, talking afterwards about their favourite parts.

I did miss The King Of Broadway. The film managed to work without it, but the song does add a lot of depth to Max's character that I wished we had. Plus it's such a great song. Personally, I'm hoping for an Extended Unrated version that incorporates it into the body of the film, although I'm not hopeful - it didn't do well enough for multiple releases. I'll probably have to make do with the song as a deleted scene.

It was nice seeing Mel at the end of the film with the Get Out line. And I enjoyed the songs in the closing credits - There's Nothing Like A Show On Broadway was pretty funny, and The Hop-Clop Goes On was brilliantly done.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Re: the observation that it's a filmed play, not a movie.

For better or worse, this appears to have been a deliberate creative decision on the part of Brooks (not Stroman). A few weeks ago, Roger Bart ("Carmen Ghia") appeared on the show his uncle Peter co-hosts, Sunday Morning Shootout, and said that Brooks wanted to copy the look of 40s and 50s musicals, with the camera pulled back just watching the action and relatively little in the way of camera moves and editing. Brooks constantly encouraged everyone to do as much as possible in a master shot, so that the editor wouldn't have the option of cutting away.

M.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Michael, thanks for that...I didn't know and was wondering how much input Mel had and Stro had. I think this has been one of the greatest broadway shows to come along in a long time, of course I am biased, I love the old-fashioned book musical rather than the new ones.

I have a very strong feeling that King of Broadway WILL be part of the movie on dvd, and not an extra )at least I hope). Nathan Lane was very bitter about the song being cut from the theatrical cut, and I just have the feeling there was a deal between Mel, Stro and Nathan that it would be part of the dvd, included in the actual film.. if it couldn't make it into the movie. I hope it's one of those labeled "Extended cut" That song is just too good and important to not be included. Nathan does such a good job on the soundtrack. Time will tell.... I think the rating would change, though, if the entire song is included, or can they say F*** in a PG film now?

This is my favorite movie of the past several years. I love the original too, but being a huge Broadway musical fan, the fantastic score and orchestrations only added for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks