What's new

THE PRODUCERS (2005) - Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen season 4 of Curb Your Enthusiasm yet - although I think the r4 release is out soon, so I'll pick it up.

That's my guess. He's surrounded by audience members laughing at him, which looks like Opening Night to me.

ShawnC

Agent
I just picked up the soundtrack for the film version of the musical and I'm impressed. However, I've never seen the musical, only the original film from 1968..which I love by the way! I love the soundtrack, but feel that Will Ferrell may be the weakest link...he's silly as Franz (as he should be), but I feel he lacks the underlying menace of Mars' Franz. That being said, I'm reserving my final judgement until I see the film. I think he will still be acceptable in the role. His singing came off really well on the soundtrack as did Uma's. I was impressed with Uma's singing as Ulla, but I am an unabashed Uma Thurman fan, so take my opinion with a grain of salt and listen for yourself. :) Early buzz has her as a shoe-in nominee for the best supporting actress Oscar, and she is a hot looking Ulla, in my opinion!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Will Ferrell and Kenneth Mars: it looks to me like the new movie is going to be very similar in tone to the musical (not surprising, of course), which does have a somewhat different feel to it from the '68 movie. I saw the show a few years ago in Cincinnati. The Franz in the show is more silly than in the original movie, but that's also largely true of Bialystock. The '68 movie was really aggressively vulgar--Zero Mostel in particular was pretty intense in his lecherousness--but the show has a more gentle, tongue-in-cheek style with its vulgarity, since it's focusing more on spoofing the typical style of Broadway musicals, while simultaneously being in that style. To put it another way, the musical is more along the lines of what Mel Brooks was doing in Spaceballs than what he was doing in the '68 movie. So I think Ferrell should be good in that role. When you add all the songs in, the lighter style of the show works very well, in comparison to the '68 movie (which was also great for what it was).

ShawnC

Agent
Thanks for your insight Haggai. I believe your input will enhance my enjoyment of the new film. I really appreciate it! :)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
No problem! I'm really looking forward to it as well. And Uma, oh my...she does look ridiculously hot in the trailer.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
OTOH, it was Nathan Lane who ad libbed the line, "Who do you have to fuck to get a break in this town?!" -- which then stayed in the show (though it's probably not in the movie, since it's part of "King of Broadway").

M.

P.S. It's good to be the king.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I believe the line as originally written was "Who do you have to screw to get a break in this town?!", but Nathan Lane argued with Mel Brooks that the line needed to be a little bit stronger. And he was absolutely right.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I saw an advance screening of "The Producers" and the film was pretty good. It has a light silly feel to it.

The performances are "Broad" to say the least. Nathan Lane was very good and came close to matching Zero Mostel's performance as Producer Max Bialy. Lane almost makes the role his own, but there were still echos of Mostel throughout the film.

Matthew Broderick was okay, but he didn't come close to matching the humor Gene Wilder brought to the role (Wilder seems to be more of a comic genius as time goes on) As a singer Matthew is just okay and his numbers were fine but not outstanding.

While Lane and Broderick were good, I kept feeling they were doing imitations of themselves. You could tell they were funnier on stage when playing off the live audience. But this is film and it came across a little forced with the actors playing out to the last row of the theater.

I saw the show on Broadway and the film is almost a carbon copy. I did miss the song "The King of Broadway" and felt it robbed Nathan Lane of an introductory solo (Matthew gets one shortly after with "I wanna be a producer" and it makes his role seem larger) Will Farrell was fun as the German playwright and proved to be a good singer. I liked Uma Thurman, at times she did seem a bit old for the role, and I wondered if she had a double for some of the singing and dancing bits. Cady Huffman who I saw on the stage as Ulla as a bit better though, but Uma was okay.

The best of the cast were Gary Beach and Roger Bart as the director and his swishy assistant. The got most of the laughs and their two big numbers "Keep it Gay" and "Heil Myself" were the best of the bunch. "Springtime for Hilter" was still the big set piece as in the original film and Nathan Lane got applause after his big number "Betrayed" Uma does fine with "When you got it Flaunt it" and the number with the little old ladies plays well.

I liked the film but my overall feeling was it would have been better if it were directed by Mel Brooks. Brooks just knew how to get a real laugh. The film is less like a Mel Brooks film and more like a MGM musical (which many people may prefer).

There are little bits after the closing credits so stay until the end.

ShawnC

Agent
I think Uma "belts" just fine on the soundtrack considering she isn't a "classically" trained singer. I'm sure Cady Huffman from the broadway show does much better, but considering Uma's singing background(as I know it anyway) and my expertise in singing quality(absolutely zero, but I know what I like :)) I feel Uma did a great job. Again, I'm an Uma Thurman fan from way back so take my opinion on her performance accordingly...

MikeRS

Screenwriter

One only has to analyze "Young Frankenstein" to realize this.

(Or perhaps the bestiality segment of "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex...." :D )

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Gene Wilder's genius performances aside...

When I saw the show here in Tampa, Alan Ruch played the role of Leo Bloom. I thought he was fantastic. But then, he always played the uncomortable/out-of-place guy very well. I know it was Broderick's role on Broadway, but I'll reserve judgement as to who I feel was better (between the two) until after I see the film.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I bet Alan Ruck was terrific. Maybe Cameron Frye was better preparation for this role than Ferris Bueller was? We shall see... :)

When I saw the show in Cincinnati, the guy playing Bloom wasn't too great. But Lewis J. Stadlen, who played Bialystock, was absolutely brilliant.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
When I saw the show Roger Bart had taken over the role of Leo and I do believe he was better that Matthew is in the film. Matthew is uninteresting and bland. Somehow Roger brought more life to the role, he was more "cute and clever" than dull and sappy. Roger also steals his scenes as Carmen in the Film. Plus Matthew and Uma don't have much chemistry between them.

Quote "I think Uma "belts" just fine on the soundtrack considering she isn't a "classically" trained singer"

I'm not so sure it's Uma's singing voice. I read an interview she gave where she mentioned she "hoped" they used her own voice. Usually when an actor says something like that chances are they are dubbed in the film.

Uma's not know as a singer or dancer for that matter. There are some intricate dance steps and splits where the camera cuts away from Ulla. Then when we see Ulla her face is hidden by her hair, in the next shot her face is visiable again. I wouldn't be surprized if a body double was used for these moments. Not that it really matters (It's just that it is cheating esp. when Cady Huffman could have done the role without any tricks, but then again she doesn't have the box-office name that Uma has)

Uma was okay, but not great.

ShawnC

Agent
I think it is Uma's singing. I believe I did read somewhere that a body double was used for her in some of the dance moves. If anyone has the soundtrack, listen to "When You Got It, Flaunt It" (track 7)again. While she does a reasonable accent for Ulla, at the point of the song where she says something along the lines of "Show your assests.." the accent drops off a little and it sounds like her regular voice. Not saying I'm 100 % sure, but can anyone confirm that both she and Will Ferrell do their own singing? For what it's worth I believe Ferrell did all his singing too, but I don't have a definitive yes or no, just my opinion and what my ears tell me from listening to the soundtrack. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ShawnC

Agent
I've checked the soundtrack notes and only see character names and who plays that particular character. Not much help, anyone who has anything more on this, I would appreciate it :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Welcome to Hollywood. They've done this for years, taking star power over talent, and they've made it work in the past.

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Moriarty has posted his review.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22053

Unfortunatly, it is more a comparison of the original film to the musical, rather than a real judge of the film for someone who has actually seen the musical already, and likes it.

It is pretty obvious that he doesn't think the musical is nearly as good as the original film.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks