What's new

the problem with Disney Treasures: Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow (1 Viewer)

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I guess I'd feel bad for a member of the Disney Movie Club to miss out, except that there really was no excuse for not simply pre-ordering on just about any retail website. Obviously a movie club member doesn't have a problem with mail order credit card purchases.

Regardless, sorry that you missed out. The secondary market should eventually settle down and hopefully it won't be too costly. I've been grabbing all the Treasures since their inception and have always found B&M availability to be spotty at best.

I should probably add that the DMC always seems to get their titles late. Its still possible that the wave may show up there in the next catalog.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Joe Lugoff said:
So you honestly think I should have known that "Dr. Syn," of all things, would be sold out within minutes of Best Buy opening Tuesday morning, and that if I sauntered into the store Tuesday afternoon I'd find The Duck and Annette, but not Dr. Syn? I'm really supposed to know that?
Honestly, I never thought they would have carried them. For most catalogue titles, or specialty box sets, I never even think to look at retail stores. I always order online.
The big titles, sure, you can find them at Best Buy, or Wal Mart. But especially for limited edition releases, never rely on those stores.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Jon Martin said:
Others are hoping for a single disc release as am I as I would love that anyone who wanted the film should be able to enjoy it. But if you mean just make more copies of a limited release, not going to happen. Disney would have a class action lawsuit on them faster than you can say supercali ...

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Joe Lugoff said:
had to be sure to run in when the store opened to get all the Treasures. This is the first time it's ever happened. Regardless of any other considerations, Disney should just go ahead and make more copies. In this recession, with so many companies in trouble, how can they refuse to do something which will make them money?
So you honestly think I should believe that Tuesday afternoon of release day at Best Buy is the only time and place you had to purchase this title? I got it at a B&M store a week after release date, and saw it at Costco last weekend. Not to mention that it was available for pre-order for how many weeks???

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Joe Lugoff said:
The only problem with just "making more" is they run the risk of devaluing the WDT release, making it less collectible and "wanted." Why would they want to devalue their own product?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The reason I wanted to get these at Best Buy was they had a "2 for $40" sale, otherwise $24.99 each, so I figured all three would cost me $64.99. I indeed ended up getting only 2 for $40. There were Ducks and Annettes galore, but they were totally Synless, at every store in my area. :frowning:

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Did they announce quantities on these ahead of time? If so, that would explain why the eBay speculators jumped all over it. If not, how would the speculators know to do so? Happily, I walked into a store in my neighborhood yesterday and found it for 19.99.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
BillyFeldman said:
Did they announce quantities on these ahead of time? If so, that would explain why the eBay speculators jumped all over it. If not, how would the speculators know to do so? Happily, I walked into a store in my neighborhood yesterday and found it for 19.99.
I honestly don't think the speculators jumped on this right out of the gate, but rather as a response to the traffic this title was generating soon after release. I think most every message board I visit had one thread on how "lucky" people felt to grab this title and how it was going fast. Nothing with set off speculators faster than a big old net buzz.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just walked in from my local FYE. They had two Dr. Syn's sitting on the shelf for $32.99. So they are out there still.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
I bought mine at Costco this week for 21.99. There were at least five more, left for other fortunate souls. . . .

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
In other words, if those doing the complaining were to actually look they might just find one? Is that what I'm understanding?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Saw 3-5 copies at HMV on Thursday night. Maybe this is just one that got shipped late or something....

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Since the original poster hasn't been back, perhaps he's found the DVD and is just too sheepish to admit it? It seems to be quite a few places and I'd bet that a nice HTF person would even pick it up for him. But maybe that's not as much fun as ranting
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I passed Dr. Syn over at pre-order time, my memories of it from 1964 being rather hazy and not that compelling. But I guess I got caught up in the frenzy reading all the "where are they?!?!?" posts here and elsewhere, so when I saw a single copy for $21.99 at Costco yesterday I snatched it up. I must say, after a bit of sampling, I'm getting jazzed about watching it.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Joe Lugoff said:
So you honestly think I should have known that "Dr. Syn," of all things, would be sold out within minutes of Best Buy opening Tuesday morning, and that if I sauntered into the store Tuesday afternoon I'd find The Duck and Annette, but not Dr. Syn? I'm really supposed to know that?
The only thing I can say is "look around some more". I found my copy at Costco a WEEK after release, and they had a bunch of Syn on hand.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, I want it, but I'm not sure it's worth getting a Costco membership just for that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^Then I would say that your best option would be to wait a couple months and pick one up on eBay from a reputable seller. By that time, the "I'LL BID ANYTHING TO WIN THIS AUCTION!!!!!!" panic mentality that causes $75 or $100 auctions will probably have lessened and you'll be able to get for it a much better price than you'd pay now.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Joe Lugoff said:
Well, I want it, but I'm not sure it's worth getting a Costco membership just for that.
It's always possible to ask a nice HTFer who has seen the set in a store if they would pick it up for you and then you cover the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks