What's new

The Prisoner ... on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I got it in the mail today. Did an A-B comparison. Wow, looks great, lots of color and detail. Your gonna love it Nelson!

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Does anybody know if they fixed the "mistakes" that people complained about when the remastered standard DVD set came out a year or so back in the U.K.?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I have the same issue with my LG BD390 - the bonus disc won't play. Bummer. I suppose I could watch the extras on the PC (or my son's PS3), but that's obviously not the option we want for the money we spent. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, since McGoohan wasn't involved with the doc, and I've seen it before. I'm just thrilled to have it on BD. Be seeing you ... in spectacular clarity.
Originally Posted by maltydog

Has anyone had trouble playing the extras disc in this set? My LG BD390 Blu-Ray Player reads the disc as a data disc rather than a DVD. My Panasonic DMR-ES15 DVD recorder reads it as a DVD, and shows the start menu, but when I choose any items on the menu, I get a "cannot play" message.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Played the bonus disc with no problem on my Sony 350. Watched 2 discs so far. Looks great. I watched dance of the Dead last night. I had forgotten that one. I can see why McGoohan had it sit on the shelf for so long. Strange episode.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never saw THE PRISONER before. Heard so much about it and
was delighted to receive the Blu-ray set as a gift last week from
good friends.

Started watching disc one and got through the first five episodes
on that disc.

What a fantastic TV series. I mean, the writing on this show is
really first-rate. Really holds up well today just because it's
presented so intelligently.

Did notice a flaw in the menu on Disc One....

The images marking the episodes are wrong for Episodes
#4 and #5 (one of which is Schizoid Man). They just switched
the photos that represent the actual episode.

I will get back to all of you in the next few weeks after
completing the series. The show looks really good in Hi-Def.
Very colorful.

Can't begin to tell you how much I am enjoying this show.
Sorry it took me 40 years to discover this show.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Ron, i wont spoil it. But get ready for the last episode. One might wonder if LSD was being taken while that episode was being written. You will know what i mean when you see it.

I discovered the show 25 years ago on PBS, and have owned it on tape, LD, DVD (twice), and now Blu. Let me say the colors have never popped like this before! And of course, the detail. Almost to much detail! You can see painted back drops, are painted backdrops! LOL
It doesnt take away from the show.

Enjoy!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If interested, I remember watching this interview with Patrick McGoohan back in the late 70's or early 80's. Can't recall exactly. This was when it was making a splash on PBS. You should wait till you finish the series before watching this interview

http://www.youtube.com/user/CosmoBit#p/f/4/f6gPztzkNMQ

This is a series of intros and outros of each episode that is by the local film critic that was produced by our local PBS station, KTEH. This link is for Arrival.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CosmoBit#p/u/3/LSI0HU6io7I

And I had forgotten, the link above to the KTEH video intros talk about a new episode order that places each in a more proper chronological order then broadcast order. This link has this order:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Prisoner_episodes

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There are so many suggestions around the web as to the
best order to watch the show. Ignoring them all and just
watching them as they appear on the Blu-ray set.

Thus far I have completed 7 episodes in two days. My
goal is to finish the set in another 9 days.

The Blu-ray does indeed bring out things it shouldn't.
One episode I recently watched you can see string
pulling "Rover" across the lawn.

...but the video on this set is just superb! And, as
I stated already, I am really loving this show. I can't
believe how well written these shows are.

Parker told me Patrick McGoohan wrote and directed
each of these episodes which I find fascinating. He
really made a show that was truly before its time.

Looking forward to my next episode.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ron:

I mispoke when I said that McGoohan wrote and directed all the episodes. He was co-creator and wrote and directed many of the episodes. In other words it was his show but he didn't write and direct all of them.

I am really sitting on the fence whether or not to get the Blu version of this series as for me the SD release is fantastic.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
After you watch all the episodes, just watch the 5th disc, bonus DVD. It has the lowdown on the show. Much of it i had read before. But it was interesting seeing interviews with cast and crew. Interesting seeing how they felt about McGoohan. It was made before his death, but he didnt participate.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by RickER

Ron, i wont spoil it. But get ready for the last episode. One might wonder if LSD was being taken while that episode was being written. You will know what i mean when you see it.
I'd add that there are some - myself included - who think the last episode is brilliant.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
My set arrived on Tuesday, but I've been limiting myself to one episode a night. The picture quality is extraordinary--it's the best I've ever seen the series! The bonus material disc won't play in my Samsung BD player, but will play in my Panasonic DVD player, so at least I can watch the feature-length documentary! Having seen this quality, I'd love to see The Avengers, The Saint and Space:1999 receive BD releases!

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Yes, the filmed episodes of The Avengers should look great in HD, but what would be even better is reprocessing the pre-Diana Rigg telerecorded episodes to restore them to their original video look.

Plus there has already been a restoration of Space: 1999 in the UK that looks a lot better than the current R1 set. I hope that it was done in HD as well, so that it could be released on Blu-ray.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just discovered that the fantastic Gerry Anderson series Thunderbirds was released on Blu Ray in the UK late last year and was cropped to 16:9!

In researching that, there was someone who said Space: 1999 was also cropped. I hope not!

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
For people new to The Prisoner watching the episodes in "Blu-ray order" (which is UK broadcast order), if you liked what you saw, I recommend you watch the series again in "A&E standard DVD set order," which I think presents a smoother and clearer progression of the comments/attitudes of the characters:

Arrival
Free for All
Dance of the Dead
Checkmate
The Chimes of Big Ben

The General

A, B & C (A&E puts this before The General, but I think it make much more sense after)

The Schizoid Man

Many Happy Returns

It's Your Funeral

A Change of Mind

Hammer into Anvil

Do Not Forsake Me...

Living in Harmony

The Girl Who Was Death

Once Upon a Time

Fall Out

Ultimately, the only absolutes in the episode order in terms of story are that Arrival must be shown first and Once Upon a Time / Fall Out must be shown last -- anyone who disputes this is simply unmutual!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One major flaw with this series that I am not
certain the Blu-ray format makes more transparent
is the AWFUL and I mean AWFUL use of doubles
in this series.

I just watched A CHANGE OF MIND today in which
#6 has his mind transferred to the body of an agent
in the village. There are scenes of what should be
the older agent driving around in the sports car along
the London streets. However, it's obviously Patrick
McGoohan in the long shots, that is, until we get to
the closeup shots where it is the older agent.

You also see bad uses of doubles in any sequence
where McGoohan is doing his acrobatic routine.

There was also an episode, I believe, IT'S YOUR

FUNERAL, where at the end #2 is being chased by
the angry villagers. You can clearly see a double is
used for the sequence where an older #2 is needed
to do exhaustive physical activity like running from
a mob.

The problem is, it's done so blatantly bad that you
wonder if there was any care to conceal these doubles
at all.

That's my only complaint, though. I am thoroughly
enjoying the show. Have only a few left to watch.
Should be done in a few days.

Wonderful picture quality.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I could make the same complaint with classic Trek on Blu, Ron. It is that bad, but who would of known we would be watching this stuff on 100" screens with "film like" resolutions! Not to mention watching these shows over, and over for 40 years, you notice things.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Remember that 40 years ago, people were watching this series off rabbit ears. There wasn't the intense sharpness on a 20 inch probably black and white TV that was on a cart with wheels. So you didn't have to be a complete stickler as if McGoohan was working on a major feature film where he knows the image will be 30 feet high. Time constraints also factor into such things. So you forgive such things as part of the art of making TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks