What's new

The Pianist...Canadian vs American releases (1 Viewer)

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
in that review Bill Chambers wrote:

Yes it is one Dvd but it is a dvd 14 and the extras are on the other side. The video and audio are excellent. I'll try to upload a dvdbitrate graphic later today.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Hmmm...this is interesting stuff. I've had the Canadian import on order for quite some time and in fact it's probably already been shipped. I guess I'll just hold tight and see what people have to say who have seen both transfers. If the Universal version is noticeably better than I'll probably end up having to double-dip on this one. I love this movie too much. Perhaps I'll end up taking Universal's disc and placing it into the better looking Canadian keepcase. :)

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
Considering the title streets today, I'm hoping someone will be able to document what EXACTLY is on the U.S. Universal release, so we can do a feature for feature comparison also. (Anyone in the U.S. able to oblige?)

This is what is on the Canadian version 2 disc set:

143 Minutes - 24 Chapters (motion scene selections) Widescreen (1.85:1) Anamorphic - Dual Layer -
no booklet,
Cast & Crew for 8 people,
3 Theatrical trailers for “The Pianist” (1.85:1 Ltbx), Disc 2

Featurette: “A Story of Survival” (39:27), Disc 2

Production Notes: Director's Notes by Roman Polanski (Text only), Disc 2

Production Notes: Q & A with Roman Polanski (Text only), Disc 2

Misc: The Warsaw Ghetto: Historical Background (Text only), Disc 2

Misc: Wladyslaw Szpilman biography, Disc 2

Production/Art Photos: 2 Posters and an animated photo gallery with 40 photos (3:12) with optional audio commentary of production notes, Disc 2

2 Sample tracks from Classical CD Soundtrack, Disc 2

Soundtrack TV spot, Disc 2

8 TV spots, Disc 2

Misc: English or French menu option, Disc 1 and 2
Languages: English DTS 5.1, English Dolby 5.1 and French Dolby 5.1, Subtitles: French

The Soundtrack Edition (Cat # 05131T) has all the same stuff, plus the CD soundtrack, which someone else has already noted track for track.

Eagerly awaiting reply...

Cheers,

Kyle

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
This is what is on the American Single Disc

Side A
149.02 Minutes - 18 Chapters
Animated Menus
Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1
Audio English DTS and DD 5.1, French 5.1 Spanish 2.0
Subtitles: Spanish & French. English CC on/off same menu
Side B
Featurette: “A Story of Survival” (39:27)
Production Notes: Director's Notes by Roman Polanski (Text only)
Theatrical trailer
Cast & Crew for 3 people
No Insert
Soundtrack TV spot

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
OK, things just got a tad more interesting.

The running time of the Canadian according to my time display is 142.36. (I rounded up to 143).

The box on the Soundtrack edition lists 148 minutes, but the running time on the 2-disc set and the Soundtrack edition is the same. (There was no running time listed on the box of the 2 disc that I could find). Incidentally, IMDB lists a running time of 150 minutes, but they're not air-tight all the time either.

This MIGHT be due to a faulty time coding though. I have seen numerous discs (especially Paramount titles) with time displays running amok. I'm not ready to conclude this version is definitely a shorter verison without more proof. I'd like to time it with a stop watch first.

Matthew:

I think your problem with the French subtitles might be linked to the entry menu when you pop in the disc. If you choose the French menu option (on the left) it'll put the French subtitles on, and show French menus throughout. If that's not the case, it might be your player, because it didn't force subtitles on mine.

Joseph:

The Universal disc is double-sided? That's the first Universal disc in a LONG time that I've heard of that's double-sided. You didn't mean second disc, did you? I thought I heard someone say all the features were crammed one disc with the movie, I thought that meant the same side.

Hmmmm...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
FWIW for those in Canada, the 3-disc set is $27.99 (Cdn. of course) at Future Shop, $2 more than the 2-disc set there. This was the cheapest I found the 3-disc set ANYWHERE, including on the web.

As already mentioned IIRC, the 3-disc box says the feature running time is 148 mins...exactly what the reference I used says...which doesn't mean a damn thing, but there you go.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
This MIGHT be due to a faulty time coding though. I have seen numerous discs (especially Paramount titles) with time displays running amok. I'm not ready to conclude this version is definitely a shorter verison without more proof. I'd like to time it with a stop watch first.
Or it was taken from a PAL master.

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Andrew,

Joseph said there was no insert on his. Don't think there's meant to be one. Anyone find to the contrary?

Can someone tell me the catalogue # (on the spine) of the U.S. Universal version?

P.S. After looking at the Canadian transfer, I'd have to admit that the transfer doesn't look the best I've ever seen, it could be sharper, but it's by no means a 'bad' transfer. Untrained eyes I'm sure would scoff at the notion. For others, it might be one of those things where you might not notice it until someone else points it out. (Unless you're one of those people who points those kinds of things out to other people...) The Universal DVD-authoring team is probably a little more experienced and has bigger toys to play with, and there's absolutely no question they were mastered separately.

Cheers,

Kyle

greg_t

Screenwriter
I just got the Universal American version and there is no insert. My disc also had fingerprints on it. First time I've seen that on a sealed disc. Last digits of the UPC code, which is also on the spine, is 27662.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
That's the first Universal disc in a LONG time that I've heard of that's double-sided.
The Truth About Charlie is also a DVD-14 (double sided). Obviously, a growing trend with Universal.

Also, the Canadian running time would appear to be the running time of a PAL version of this film (ie 149 minutes sped up bt 4% is around 143 minutes).

Kyle Milligan

Stunt Coordinator
OK, so just to be 100% sure, someone with the U.S. Universal please confirm that none of this:

Production Notes: Q & A with Roman Polanski (Text only),

Misc: The Warsaw Ghetto: Historical Background (Text only),

Misc: Wladyslaw Szpilman biography,

Production/Art Photos: 2 Posters and an animated photo gallery with 40 photos (3:12) with optional audio commentary of production notes,

2 Sample tracks from Classical CD Soundtrack,

8 TV spots,

Is on the Universal version?

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Needless to say this thread has sparked my curiosity.

I just got the three disc version today. I'm gonan go watch it now on my PC, see if anything seems off or what not.

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle,

The UPC code is 2519227662 and the spine number is 22766 (Widescreen Edition)

And yes Kyle, none of those extras are in the USA release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks