What's new

The Philadelphia Story DVD - Thumbs up or Thumbs Down? (1 Viewer)

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
With the recent passing of Katherine Hepburn, I was considering picking up The Philadelphia Story. Can anyone recommend this disc or should I stay away from it. Thanks in advance!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The dvd is fine and I would recommend it to any film buff to purchase it.

Crawdaddy

DeeF

Screenwriter
As we're memorializing Katharine Hepburn, may I recommend "Summertime." It's a David Lean movie, made in 1954-55, and the Criterion is beautifully rendered. It's a wonderful movie, very glamorous and romantic.

This was one of the first titles I eagerly bought, watched, and immediately sold. Bad movie? Nope. I just knew I'd never watch it again. What I wish would be put on DVD is the production of Eugene Oneill's "Long Day's Journey Into Night". Hepburn was brilliant in it, along with the rest of a great cast. Alas, only available on the dreaded VHS (and out of print at that).

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
This was one of the first titles I eagerly bought, watched, and immediately sold. Bad movie? Nope. I just knew I'd never watch it again.
I can't disagree more.

This is the movie I'd most want to watch more than once or twice.

IMHO, it's the best pre-WWII film...

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I've seen the film about 5 or 6 times and I never seem to tire of it.

The entire cast is a delight, and I don't just mean the three leads.

It holds a spot in my (very loose) Top 20 list.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Its funny how your memory plays tricks on you. Actually the first version I saw of The Philadelphia Story was the musical High Society and I really enjoyed it. I thought that musical was comparable in style and substance to the original classic comedy.

I saw the original version again a few weeks ago just before Katharine Hepburn (who I believe was the greatest female star in Hollywood's history) died. It is superb and Hepburn and Grant in particular are brilliant in it : she should really have won an Academy Award.

Then this evening I watched High Society and saw Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly and Frank Sinatra spouting many of the same lines as Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart but it just didn't seem the same. They just aren't as skilled actors: the style was missing.

Not to say High Society isn't entertaining musically but compared to The Philadelphia Story its dramatically lifeless. Still there is enough in both films to merit purchase of both DVDs. One of the all-time classic comedies and a good musical worth buying when so few choice examples of the genre are available on DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Derek,
Your comments on both films is not too far off from what many film critics have thought about these two films over the years.

Crawdaddy

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
The Philadelphia Story is one of our most-watched DVD's. It was one of the earlier titles in our collection, and I bought it blind. We've watched it at least a dozen times since. I'd highly recommend it.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
OH C. K. Dexter Ha-ven!!!

This is a wonderful film, and a great script. The only thing that dates it is the way they handle the father's adultery. Other than that, this film is YAW.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all talked the way they did in this film? Or is it just me?

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I adore this picture. I had it on laserdisc, where it received a grand workout, but while I own the DVD, I haven't watched it yet on that format. It's been several years now, so it's about time!

I love High Society as well, and wouldn't diminish one in view of the other. Personally, I don't see how anyone's heart can keep beating after they've seen Grace Kelly's "True Love" duet with Bing Crosby unless they own a copy of the film and can revisit it frequently, but ... hey, pacemaker technology has accomplished wonders, I suppose. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks