What's new

The Phil Silvers Show (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
...take that all you nay-sayers that says CBS doesn't care about it's classic tv shows! :)

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
I'm very happy to see this show get a second chance, and look forward to purchasing this set. However, it seems that CBS/Paramount is in "Throw some (stuff) against the wall and see what sticks" mode. Their list of unfinished/abandoned shows is growing. Also, I don't think that this show has as wide a potential customer group as say The Beverly Hillbillies or The Lucy Show. I'm hopeful that sales will be good enough to merit the release of all four seasons of this truly brilliant show.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I hope they pick up The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction again soon. Meanwhile ther are my inferior "alternate" dvds.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

As opposed to the other studios which don't throw anything against the wall.
That is a great point. I must say, I don't really understand the feeling that surfaces occasionally here about incomplete series. Of course, I would like all the seasons of my shows released, too. But even setting aside the fact that if we don't buy the early seasons, we'll never see the rest of them, why wouldn't it be better to have some episodes rather than none? Perhaps with a continuing storyline show (e.g. Soap or Lost), it could be frustrating, but there is no reason we can't enjoy the first season of The Beverly Hillbillies without having the ninth season of The Beverly Hillbillies.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
It will be interesting to see when they get to the other seasons if the 7 episodes that have pulled from the syndication package will be in the sets.

Plus there are some episodes with music that may need to be cleared or cut.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by DeWilson

It will be interesting to see when they get to the other seasons if the 7 episodes that have pulled from the syndication package will be in the sets.

Plus there are some episodes with music that may need to be cleared or cut.
The music clearance issue is always a big issue with CBS and I fear for those musical numbers and scenes, but I am not too worried about the shows that were pulled. All of them subsequently appeared on cable, so they obviously ironed out the various problems between the initial syndication deal and the cable TV deal.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Jeez Danny, that's hardly what I meant. I simply was noting that CBS/Paramount has gone the route of Sony, et al., which is hardly a positive development, would you not agree? Furthermore, the idea that Lee espouses: "So what if show X has only Y number of episodes released?" is neatly upended by his statement just prior to making said argument.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm thrilled this a complete season release!

I've *almost* purchased the "Best Of" set many times but just couldn't complete the transaction thinking that it's just that... a "Best Of" and not a season. I've sworn I'll never purchase a "Best Of" in the hopes full seasons will eventually be released. I'll typically wait until the "Best Of" goes OOP with no signs of a full season release before I'll jump in those waters. Yeah, some studios "test the waters" with these. The problem is many won't go into those type waters so the test truly fails.

Date circled... awaiting pricing information... This is one of those truly *rare* ones that I'll consider purchasing during release week if not a pre-release purchase. :)

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Jonathan, please educate me about your line of thought. If you like the show well enough to think that a sesaon one release is a good idea, why would you not care if the whole series is released or not?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't get that line of thought either. It smacks too much of cutting one's nose to spite one's face, since the reason why we've had to wait four years for a S1 release is because not enough bought the Best of set.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Doesn't CBS/Paramount also control Car 54, Where Are You? Since they seem to now be in the habit of putting out first season releases of "rarer" shows like Bilko, One Step Beyond, and Barnaby Jones, I hope they do a release with Car 54, Nat Hilken's other show. If they start to release Car 54, there might be a good chance of CBS/Paramount finishing it; it's only two seasons.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by ToddR2

Jeez Danny, that's hardly what I meant. I simply was noting that CBS/Paramount has gone the route of Sony, et al., which is hardly a positive development, would you not agree? Furthermore, the idea that Lee espouses: "So what if show X has only Y number of episodes released?" is neatly upended by his statement just prior to making said argument.
Sorry, Todd. Upon looking back, I realize I inadvertently made it seem as though you had embraced the point of view with which I was disagreeing. I am a notorious completist, and think studio commitment is very important. What I was questioning was what other members have said in the past, along the lines of "I will not buy the 1st season of this particular show because I don't believe the studio will put out all the seasons and I only want it if I can have the whole thing." I was arguing that besides being impractical (if no one buys the first season, there won't be any others), the people who feel that way are only punishing themselves by denying themselves at least some episodes of their favorite shows.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

Jonathan, please educate me about your line of thought. If you like the show well enough to think that a sesaon one release is a good idea, why would you not care if the whole series is released or not?

I'm not Jonathan, but I'll jump in here anyway.

Of course, in an ideal world, a series would*always* be followed through to its conclusion and the buyer could decide what seasons to buy or not buy. But, truthfully, there are series such as "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Alice" which stayed on the air wayyyy past the time that they were in their prime. Personally, with the "Hillbillies" I'd stop at about season six, just before they jumped the shark by going to England. Times were changing and, for one thing, Nancy Kulp stopped doing her Plain-Jane Old Maid shtick for feminist reasons no doubt. But it made her character no longer funny and merely Raymond Bailey's straight man. And the whole premise of a family who had lived in Beverly Hills for nine years and still wore ropes for belts and didn't know the ways of Southern California was beyond ridiculous.

The black and white seasons of "Hillbillies" are classic television. The early color ones are very funny. But by season seven, it's tired and anachronistic. I'm thrilled we got all the black and whites. If they could release three more color seasons, I'd be content.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Lee, sorry if I misread your point. I completely agree with your thoughts expressed above. I am as surprised as you when people offer this rational for not buying season one of a given show.
Rob_Ray, while I understand your point, I don't know that it applies in this case (Phil Silvers Show). Also, certainly you can understand how people's opinions could differ re:when a show "jumped the shark". There are many who would disagree with your assessment of The Beverly Hillbillies, for example. Some might think all of the episodes are classics, while others might think that you are nuts for suggesting ANY season of The Beverly Hillbillies is classic TV.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

Rob_Ray, while I understand your point, I don't know that it applies in this case (Phil Silvers Show). Also, certainly you can understand how people's opinions could differ re:when a show "jumped the shark". There are many who would disagree with your assessment of The Beverly Hillbillies, for example. Some might think all of the episodes are classics, while others might think that you are nuts for suggesting ANY season of The Beverly Hillbillies is classic TV.
I completely agree with you. Everyone's mileage varies. I've never seen more than a handful of the Bilkos and am eagerly looking forward to starting my education!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks