What's new

The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series - 11/4/14 (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Professor Echo said:
Bob, I deleted my original post and reposted. I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic with me by quoting my statement about this being a great deal, so I responded in haste, referring to your anti-Amazon posts about the NAKED CITY sale, both on HTF and DVD TALK. I later decided to rise above it no matter what your intentions might have been and deleted what I wrote. I'm glad to learn I misinterpreted your post and we are not at odds. I apologize for the erroneous reaction. I should have known as we have never had any conflicts on any threads.I'm hoping this deal does indeed pan out and those of us who are justifiably excited about it get our set for an excellent price! :)
There was no sarcasm intended! I'm sorry if it came off that way as I agree with you - this *is* another "great deal alerts of all time!". I also didn't take your comments about Naked City negatively. I thought you were mistaking me with someone else and was more concerned that I'd actually said something so outlandish! I can be quite outspoken but *rarely* speak in absolutes when apparent pricing mistakes are involved as I've had them go both ways in about equal measure.

Anyway... I'd absolutely say we're *not* at odds! :)

Based on the experience with Naked City I fully expect to have a bargain priced Bilko set come November.

And another thumbs up for SSB alerting us to this one!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
rmw650 said:
They should honor the price if that's what it is listed as as it isn't our faults they have people there who have no clue what they're typing on there. I haven't heard it coming out on Blu-Ray either, just the standard DVD, and this is also region 1 where it can be played here in the USA in addition to Canada and a few other North American countries. I just pre-ordered it for 25.17 CDN, which comes out to roughly $23.86 US Dollars...oh hell yeah I'm in! But I sincerely hope they honor this price as per their policies or they are going to have a lot of teed-off customers on their hands. Thanks for the tip again!
According to Mick Clews, one of the contributors to the set, there is no blu-ray planned. We obviously have a typo on that, so they may have us on a loophole technicality, but I hope not.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
BobO said:
There was no sarcasm intended! I'm sorry if it came off that way as I agree with you - this *is* another "great deal alerts of all time!". I also didn't take your comments about Naked City negatively. I thought you were mistaking me with someone else and was more concerned that I'd actually said something so outlandish! I can be quite outspoken but *rarely* speak in absolutes when apparent pricing mistakes are involved as I've had them go both ways in about equal measure.Anyway... I'd absolutely say we're *not* at odds! :)Based on the experience with Naked City I fully expect to have a bargain priced Bilko set come November.And another thumbs up for SSB alerting us to this one!
I'm glad we straightened that out. This proves I should never visit message boards when I'm in a bad mood as it sours my perception to the point of reading between the lines when there's nothing to read! Again, I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. If the price goes up for this and we don't get any notice of cancellation before or soon thereafter, we should be ok. I was very happy about the NAKED CITY sale, but hopes for the $24.99 Complete Series of PERRY MASON at Family Video last Black Friday were dashed after a week when they removed the listing and canceled the order without explanation. Lol.

jetskier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Ron1973 said:
According to Mick Clews, one of the contributors to the set, there is no blu-ray planned. We obviously have a typo on that, so they may have us on a loophole technicality, but I hope not.
One of the Canadian listings said "1 disc", so, I thought, ah-ha!, there's a 1-disc 'Best Of' release coming out also, containing maybe 4 - 5 episodes to let those unfamiliar with the series, get acquainted with it.

I emailed Shout Factory! and someone anonymous wrote back saying that there was NO 1-disc version planned, only the 20-disc Complete Series version.

Maybe Amazon.CA is a victim of a hacker!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I've been thinking that one way out for Amazon on this would be if they stated this was a listing for a Blu-Ray and that they were canceling the item altogether because they didn't know when the item (i.e. "Blu-Ray") would be released, similar to their cancellation of the first season for THE NAME OF THE GAME. But it's tricky because even though it says Blu-Ray, the numbers match the DVD release. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if that Blu-Ray moniker wasn't attached to it.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Ron1973 said:
they are NEVER gonna tell you that a blu-ray is planned until they put it out.

they do not want people waiting to buy !!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Anyone who was on-the-fence with a purchase at the bargain basement price is now out of luck. Amazon.ca has raised the price to the expected $90.99 cdn.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
BobO'Link said:
Anyone who was on-the-fence with a purchase at the bargain basement price is now out of luck. Amazon.ca has raised the price to the expected $90.99 cdn.
I saw that a couple of minutes ago! Glad I pre-ordered already!

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
BobO'Link said:
Anyone who was still on the fence at that price deserves to pay list plus 10% now.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
John Karras said:
Anyone who was still on the fence at that price deserves to pay list plus 10% now.
I was on the fence, but just jumped off. Just as well actually, because i would have been buying it more for the deal then a need for the show. I am trying to curb that kind of behavior going forward.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
smithbrad said:
I was on the fence, but just jumped off. Just as well actually, because i would have been buying it more for the deal then a need for the show. I am trying to curb that kind of behavior going forward.
Good for you, Brad. I've been moving in that direction myself this past year. With the lack of material being released that I'm interested in, it's been easier. Still, I've got a ways to go to be completely free from the addiction of scooping things up just because they were great deals.

Gary "but 2014 will go down as the year I've purchased the least amount of dvds since the early 2000's" O.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Gary OS said:
Good for you, Brad. I've been moving in that direction myself this past year. With the lack of material being released that I'm interested in, it's been easier. Still, I've got a ways to go to be completely free from the addiction of scooping things up just because they were great deals.

Gary "but 2014 will go down as the year I've purchased the least amount of dvds since the early 2000's" O.
I completely understand as well -- tightening the belt is so painful but necessary at times... Especially as there's a flurry of long-awaited releases hitting the shelves, even if they're virtual shelves, this fall and winter! It's just too bad you can't enjoy this bonanza -- perhaps there will be light at the end of your western TV show tunnel again. I've got more of those on my shelf still waiting for their initial showing.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
shoeshineboy said:
I completely understand as well -- tightening the belt is so painful but necessary at times... Especially as there's a flurry of long-awaited releases hitting the shelves, even if they're virtual shelves, this fall and winter! It's just too bad you can't enjoy this bonanza -- perhaps there will be light at the end of your western TV show tunnel again. I've got more of those on my shelf still waiting for their initial showing.
Just to be clear, while tightening the belt, as you put it, is a factor in my purchases (or lack thereof) at present, it's more about the content that is, and isn't, being offered this year. I realize a lot of people's holy grails are being released this year so I don't want to rain on anyone's parade by listing off the sets I'm not at all interested in. Suffice to say The Wonder Years in the only biggie being released this year that I'm really excited about. And even there, I'm willing to wait for individual season releases I can buy at better prices. As is well known about me here at HTF, the late 60's and the entirety of the 70's and much of the 80's doesn't thrill me, so when Shout or other companies release series from those time periods I'm just not moved. At this point the only thing I'm really interested in is more 50's and early 60's material. But it doesn't have to be westerns. I'd take any genre from those time periods (with a few caveats). But it seems to me that with Timeless losing steam, and TGG seemingly gone, there's just not a lot to look forward to now.

Gary "but to each his own - more power to you guys that are still stoked about the material coming later this year" O.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
And with this release, peel one of the most wanted and most popular 50s programs that was absent from region 1! I don't know how you can't take it as a good sign with Bilko's release, whether you like it or not; someone believes there's money to be made from delving nearly 60 years into the past. Then with Shout's fabulous Marx Brothers on TV rarity there's another big release. I don't know much about their Red Skelton's rarities that is coming out, but while we were all benefiting from Timeless' projects, apparently they weren't enough to keep coming (whether personal reasons, lack of financial rewards, etc)... In the end, one can see it half full or half empty. A Defenders release, a Ozzie and Harriet compilation, these would be great additions and hopefully realistic. While i covet a number of more obscure, rarely seen titles i'm going to be realistic and consider everything gravy from this point forward.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
shoeshineboy said:
And with this release, peel one of the most wanted and most popular 50s programs that was absent from region 1! I don't know how you can't take it as a good sign with Bilko's release, whether you like it or not; someone believes there's money to be made from delving nearly 60 years into the past. Then with Shout's fabulous Marx Brothers on TV rarity there's another big release. I don't know much about their Red Skelton's rarities that is coming out, but while we were all benefiting from Timeless' projects, apparently they weren't enough to keep coming (whether personal reasons, lack of financial rewards, etc)... In the end, one can see it half full or half empty. A Defenders release, a Ozzie and Harriet compilation, these would be great additions and hopefully realistic. While i covet a number of more obscure, rarely seen titles i'm going to be realistic and consider everything gravy from this point forward.
I agree that releasing Sgt Bilko is huge. Just like releasing Batman, WKRP, The Jeffersons and many others are huge. They just aren't scratching my particular itches, that's all. I'm overjoyed for fans of these series, and wish them all the best. But unfortunately for me, the few b&w series you listed above fall into the "cavaets" category that I mentioned - with Ozzie & Harriet being the one gigantic exception! Now there's a release I'd be downright giddy about. But the others just aren't my cup of tea I'm sorry to say.

Gary "congrats to all my HTF friends that are getting many of their holy grail releases this year - :thumbs-up-smiley: " O.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
what i find encouraging is that quality releases seem to be the norm today, as opposed to the exception.so at least when a show does come out, fans will be encouraged to buy.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Overall it has been the biggest year I can recall for seeing titles *finished* at long last. Not just shows previously unreleased like "Batman" but this has been a record for seeing stalled shows freed at last with "Bob Newhart", "Big Valley", "Jeffersons", "Mister Ed", "Bilko" and at the same time, shows proceeding at a normal pace are winding up like "The FBI", "Maverick", "Rawhide" etc. Granted we still have some sore thumb exceptions (BURKE'S LAW!!!!!) and there have been some reissues that I personally think were a waste of time (I Spy) but overall I will look back on this year as a year of seeing some late runners in the marathon finally finishing the long race to completion. 2015 is going to start with just five important Grail titles for me still in the stalled category.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
To be honest, I've never watched The Phil Silvers Show. It was never syndicated here. I do know enough about Phil's body of work on other shows and positive reviews from other friends that I'm willing to blind buy; I highly doubt I'll be disappointed.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i dont know much about it, either.

but i think i would buy almost any old show, if a good release.

first, i want to own it, just so i have the ability to watch it. you never know when an interest may begin.

secondly, it is nice to have in case anyone that i know might perchance want to watch it.

much better to have and not use, than not have and want to use !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks