What's new

The Phil Silvers Show - The Complete Series - 11/4/14 (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
shoeshineboy said:
Don't flinch - amazon canada had the BR version of Bilko, the complete series, at an incredible $16!!!! and the standard DVD at $98.... I'm expecting a "sorry, we're unable to fill this order..." But I ordered 2 ( for gifts) just in case.
Sometimes Amazon has bootlegs listed on it. If that's what it is, cancelling now will save you the trouble of returning it.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
My favorite New Phil Silvers Show story involves his deal with CBS. In addition to getting ownership of that show, Phil Silvers was to get ownership of one other show the network was developing. He didn't that the other show was going to be a very significant part of his package, so when he was offered one, he accepted it without much investigation. It was something called Gilligan's Island.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Professor Echo said:
hi gary,i believe jimmyjet predicted this one.he told us so.
hi echo,

just caught this post.

i dont really know too much about the phil silvers show.

i dont intend to push the issue any more - even when room 222 does come out.

this whole scenario reminds me of the "twelve angry men".

as more and more of these shows come out, you guys will start trotting over to my side !!

but you know what will be even a bigger surprise ?? if gary ever gives me another like !!!!

now come on gary, just one is all i ask !!!

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
JoeDoakes said:
Sometimes Amazon has bootlegs listed on it. If that's what it is, cancelling now will save you the trouble of returning it.
Hmmm, could be. But it has the same release date as the authentic release (nov. 4), is listed as being sold by Amazon, states its the Shout Factory release, 20 discs (for $15.19 - that's how much per disk?!?!?)... And has the true cover pictured. However, the other listing at amazon.ca, for the DVD not BR (and yes, we are not sure there is even a BR version coming out) doesn't have a photo, says its just 1 disc and costs $98.86! For comparison, the 50th anniversary 3-disc release a few years ago is listed for $37.99... There's something wrong here and maybe just someone typed in the wrong price. It sounds too good to be true but i seriously doubt that we're talking bootlegs. But i've been wrong before.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
shoeshineboy said:
Don't flinch - amazon canada had the BR version of Bilko, the complete series, at an incredible $16!!!! and the standard DVD at $98.... I'm expecting a "sorry, we're unable to fill this order..." But I ordered 2 ( for gifts) just in case.
I went ahead and ordered it from Canada. I figure we have nothing to lose.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
shoeshineboy said:
SSB, if this pans out it will definitely go down as one of the great deal alerts of all time! Thank you for posting this! Let's cross our fingers and give it a go.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
FWIW, camelcamelcamel shows the UPC for this release (826663154313) to be identical to the US release. The ASIN also matches on both sites as well as other description inaccuracies (i.e. both show it to be a "widescreen" release in the "Format" section but list the aspect ratio correctly).

Yes... another "great deal alerts of all time!"

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Pre-ordered and let my British friend, Steve Everitt, and The British Phil Silvers Appreciation Society know of the price as well! I've been wanting to purchase it but I figured I'd wait until the price came WAY down!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I ordered this too. Too good to pass up . I wasn't even aware that Sgt. Bilko was to be released on Blu-ray.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Professor Echo said:
And weren't you the one who said that Amazon would NEVER honor the low price on NAKED CITY? How did that sarcastic cynicism work for you that time?I stand by my statement that IF this goes through, $23 for a title Amazon is currently selling for $116.99 will be one of the best deals of all time. If it doesn't go through, you can finally foam at the mouth with all those unused I TOLD YOU SO's left over from when your dire predictions about NAKED CITY never came true.
I didn't think I made such a absolute statement so I ran through the Naked City thread. Here's what I said:
BobO'Link said:
It's now up for pre-order at several vendors.

Right now Walmart is possibly the best choice as they have a what looks to be a pricing error on their site. The full series is currently pre-selling for $25.48 plux tax with free shipping to your house. It has a 11/5/13 shipping date.

Whether or not pre-orders at this price will go through is anyone's guess but it may be worth a chance.
Which was talking about the WM price - that was followed a bit later by:
BobO'Link said:
^Now we'll see if Amazon will actually honor those ~$25 purchases. Based on a B1G1 fiasco from a few years ago I tend to think they'll back charge with a "sorry about that" email.
Amazon *didn't* do a "back charge" like I expected and honored the price. But I didn't say "never". In fact, that experience restored my faith in them honoring such pricing errors. I currently have 2 such orders awaiting release date - State Trooper from Amazon US and Bilko from Amazon CA. :)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Bob, I deleted my original post and reposted. I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic with me by quoting my statement about this being a great deal, so I responded in haste, referring to your anti-Amazon posts about the NAKED CITY sale, both on HTF and DVD TALK. I later decided to rise above it no matter what your intentions might have been and deleted what I wrote. I'm glad to learn I misinterpreted your post and we are not at odds. I apologize for the erroneous reaction. I should have known as we have never had any conflicts on any threads. I'm hoping this deal does indeed pan out and those of us who are justifiably excited about it get our set for an excellent price! :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thank you SSB for the heads up on this. I hadn't planned on pre-ordering this (Shout products often require reviews before I'll order), but this was too good a deal to pass up. If Amazon cancels, I didn't lose anything.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hollywoodaholic said:
I'll take a shot. What would Sgt. Bilko do?!
Ha! He'd most likely buy up a lot and sell them on eB*y!

Very much obliged for the tip, Shoeshineboy! "You are humble and Lovable!"

Now let's hope this comes through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks