1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Phantom Tollbooth-Any idea where it is?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Bardon, May 18, 2004.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who remembers this movie? I got reminded of it the other day, and found that it's not really available anywhere anymore. I know it was out on VHS, but nothing about a DVD release. If nothing else, the Chuck Jones connection should give it some notiriety.

Any idea who owns it, or if there's any possibility of seing it on DVD?

2. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Well-Known Member

It was an MGM release, and is part of the pre-'87 library owned by Warner Brothers. So, you'd have to contact Warner Home Video regarding that one. You'd think with the recent release of some of the vintage "Looney Tunes", this Chuck Jones feature would have been released by now.....

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    It's rumored to come near the end of the year, newly remastered from Warner. It'll also probably include "The Dot and the Line" as an extra.

4. DougFND

DougFND Well-Known Member

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Well-Known Member

As Patrick said, I had asked Jerry Beck about this title earlier in the year and he had mentioned to me that it was being planned for a 2004 release and to his knowledge should include "The Dot and The Line" short as an extra supplement!

[​IMG]

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Great film!

I could have sworn I had this on DVD. I checked
    out my DVD PROFILER (1,600 titles) list and found
    out I didn't after all.

So I guess this means it was never released?! If
    it had, I would have bought it right away.

7. Chris Bardon

Is it a bad sign when you have to check DVD Profiler to find out if you actually have something...

Great news about it being an 04 release though-I'll definitely pick up a copy.

8. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Well-Known Member

Nathan
    I had a good chuckle at this thread title. Umm, no - 'cause it's a PHANTOM Tollbooth. Duh! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Well-Known Member

I would snap up this movie in a heartbeat. This is one of two filsm that no one believed me existed. I used to bang on about this movie as a kid - see, my gran told me that the Tollbooth was visiting our town and I was patiently waiting to step in... still am!!!

But as the years passed, I began to doubt I ever saw the film then, buy a bizzare stroke of luck, somebody mentioned it in a mag, I picked up the US video and discovered that it was the movie that I was looking for!

Same thing happened about a criminally ignored sci-fi film - Colossus The Forbin Project. Everyone kept telling me it waw Demon Seed, even though my descriptionof it is nothing like Demon Seed!!!

Really hope both Tollbooth and Colossus make it to DVD.

10. Chris Bardon

Hmm..2004 is in its final months, and this disc hasn't shown up on any schedules that I've seen. Does this mean that it's now slipped to 2005 (perhaps the Engineering appriximation of 2004)?

11. MarcoBiscotti

No clue on the current status Chris, but given the animated film properties Warners been pouring out this past year and in the months coming (with several announced box sets already pushed back so as not to flood the market) I wouldnt be surprised if this was delayed for a 2005 date.

12. Jonny Halifax

Jonny Halifax New Member

Chris: I was just thinking about that movie too - now that I think about it I think I saw it with you and Trevor. Did you have a copy when you were a kid or did I see it in school?

13. Chris Bardon

Yeah, we had a copy at one point, so you probably saw it with us.

14. MarcoBiscotti

Semi-OT but Chuck Jones other theatrical feature, "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" was recently announced for a January 01 release and is set to feature the bonus cartoon, "Yankee Doodle Cricket". The DVD will sport a "Chuck Jones Signature Edition" branding, hopefully the first of what will be a consistent release line for his animated features. I expect we'll see "The Phantom Tollbooth" next.

15. Chris Bardon

Well, this movie was apparently scheduled for 2004 at one point, and now we're well into 2005. Has there been any word from the Warner camp on the release? If they're releasing "Chuck Jones Signature" editions, then this movie should be in there...

16. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart

The "Chuck Jones Signature" DVD's are from Artisan/Lion's Gate (F.H.E. has distribution), I think.

17. Chris Bardon

Well, it's now late 2005, and I haven't seen or heard anything new. Anyone else know what's happening with this movie? Will we ever get a DVD?

18. MarcoBiscotti

[​IMG]

Sorry guys, it'd been rumore by those involved that it was coming a while ago... I also want to see a release but have no idea what's going on.

19. Mark B

Mark B Well-Known Member

Mark

"The Dot and the Line" was released recently as an extra on THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT.

20. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Well-Known Member

Jeffrey Nelson

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi was not a theatrical feature; it was a half-hour special made for television, first broadcast in 1975. And it's definitely a winner. Has this shown up yet?