What's new

The Persuaders! blu ray set in September!!!! Roger Moore and Tony Curtis tv series!!! (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
What Panasonic player do you have?
Although my first one from 2008 ( which was a year old model at the time) was also able to do the MENU trick as was my 2012 player and my current recorder.

At first I thought it was some kind of side effect for the players already being multi region, but as we have seen this is not the case.

I'm sure you must be doing something wrong.
Do you have any other Region B discs bar The Persuaders to try?
Dmp-bdt220.
I tried again tonight but it still did not work. I am stuck on the warning screen even when I press other buttons. Pop up menu and top menu have no effect. When I press the number 1 it does flash in the corner however.

I do not have any other region locked blu Rays. I recently received the Italian batman 1966 series but this set was known to not have region locking.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
Dmp-bdt220.
I tried again tonight but it still did not work. I am stuck on the warning screen even when I press other buttons. Pop up menu and top menu have no effect. When I press the number 1 it does flash in the corner however.

I do not have any other region locked blu Rays. I recently received the Italian batman 1966 series but this set was known to not have region locking.

Once the wrong region caption appears you press STOP first to go back to the Panasonic Bluray screen and stop the disc playing. From there press MENU. Sometimes the "this feature is not allowed" type caption appears when you first press MENU. If it does wait for it to go out then press MENU again

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
bigshot said:
Price equates with features in electronics, not quality.

Don't agree with that comment at all .

The majority of the low end import players tend to play back far more formats than the high end machines.

You really think a $2000 player only offers more features than a $60 player?

The vast majority of the players from the likes of Oppo mention the ( usually unnecessary) superior quality of many of its components.

Its easy to find multi region dvd but multi region Bluray is more diificult and more expensive

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I replaced a low end Sony with an Oppo BDP-103D. Aside from the Darbee, the quality of the video output and formats that they play are pretty much identical. The Oppo has a lot more features in the settings menus than the Sony did, it also has analogue audio outputs, can play MKVs off thumb drives, and can stream wirelessly... basically more features.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
bigshot said:
I replaced a low end Sony with an Oppo BDP-103D. Aside from the Darbee, the quality of the video output and formats that they play are pretty much identical. The Oppo has a lot more features in the settings menus than the Sony did, it also has analogue audio outputs, can play MKVs off thumb drives, and can stream wirelessly... basically more features.

Yes but it's not true to say that price differences in home electronics is only down to more features , specially when its quite simple to buy cheap goods that have more features than more expensive equipment

Osato- did you get The Persuaders brochure aswell in the sale? Looks like they're down to the last few

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
Once the wrong region caption appears you press STOP first to go back to the Panasonic Bluray screen and stop the disc playing. From there press MENU. Sometimes the "this feature is not allowed" type caption appears when you first press MENU. If it does wait for it to go out then press MENU again
Problem is the machine will not respond to stop once the disc has loaded. It just sticks on the region warning screen...

I've tried the menu button as well.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
Yes but it's not true to say that price differences in home electronics is only down to more features , specially when its quite simple to buy cheap goods that have more features than more expensive equipment

Osato- did you get The Persuaders brochure aswell in the sale? Looks like they're down to the last few
I did not get the brochure. I noticed the huge book in the set. Wow!!

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
Problem is the machine will not respond to stop once the disc has loaded. It just sticks on the region warning screen...

I've tried the menu button as well.

That's unfortunate - there must be design differences between UK and US models then.

Osato said:
I did not get the brochure. I noticed the huge book in the set. Wow!!

Yes the book is lovely. Definitely Networks best set of "Viewing Notes".

You should have gone for the brochure in the sale. It is an indulgence but at the sale price easier to swallow.

I suspect they may not have any left by the time of the next sale.

I put off buying it for a very long time but in the end I paid the top price for it. Didn't expect it to be worth it but I think it was.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
That's unfortunate - there must be design differences between UK and US models then.

Yes the book is lovely. Definitely Networks best set of "Viewing Notes".
You should have gone for the brochure in the sale. It is an indulgence but at the sale price easier to swallow.
I suspect they may not have any left by the time of the next sale.
I put off buying it for a very long time but in the end I paid the top price for it. Didn't expect it to be worth it but I think it was.

I tried again the top menu button from the home screen. Still no luck.

The brochure would've been nice but I thought it may just end up in a box after I looked at it so I passed on it.

It'll be a while before I pick up a region free bd player. If anyone else discovers a workaround for the set please let me know.

Thanks!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There is a crazy deal on an lg blu Ray player at Walgreens right now. $18. I picked one up due to price. Lg335w
I had the thought of looking for region free but I couldn't find anything.

I'm holding out for the $70 seiki blu Ray player at Sears.

If you have any tips for me on moding the Panasonic (bdp-bdt220) or lg please pm me. Thanks!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I picked up the $70 Seiki blu Ray player at Sears a while back to use as a second region free player in another part of the house. So far it is working out just fine.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
If you download the DVD Fab Media player ( free basic version at the moment) it is switchable between regions and you'll be able to play Region B titles on your computer.

You don't need to buy the Pro version but the download includes a free 30 day trial of that too.

You'll need to close the program and open it again each time you change the region

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
turtledove said:
If you download the DVD Fab Media player ( free basic version at the moment) it is switchable between regions and you'll be able to play Region B titles on your computer.
You don't need to buy the Pro version but the download includes a free 30 day trial of that too.
You'll need to close the program and open it again each time you change the region
Thanks.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Osato said:

You might find that as with some other players you can't use your mouse on the menus of some discs. For these you use the up/down/left/right keys.

Full menu options available in the Pro version. But I only have the basic one and its useful for multi region.

HDMI to your tv and you're away

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
smithbrad said:
I picked up the $70 Seiki blu Ray player at Sears a while back to use as a second region free player in another part of the house. So far it is working out just fine.

The player is now discontinued. I will change directions to a mod player from 220 electronics. Figures as I finally had the cash to get it. : )

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I loved this show when it was in syndication in the US 40-some years ago. I got some of the single volume DVDs years ago but think I'll go for the complete blu-ray set. The Saint episode (which I don't believe I've ever seen) kind of pushed me over the edge.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mark Zimmer said:
I loved this show when it was in syndication in the US 40-some years ago. I got some of the single volume DVDs years ago but think I'll go for the complete blu-ray set. The Saint episode (which I don't believe I've ever seen) kind of pushed me over the edge.
Very cool. It's a great show. What region free blu Ray player are you using??

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I noted that there is an Easter egg for the blu Ray set. How is this accessed??

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks