What's new

The Patriots win the Super Bowl!!!! (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
haha KIDDING, Steve Owen
No problem :) Even destiny needs a little nudge now and then!
I just got back home from the victory parade and celebration in Boston. I'll tell ya, Patriots fans are the best. The estimate from the Boston Police is that One and a quarter MILLION people turned out. The streets were PACKED and it was DAMN cold (low 20's with a windchill below zero, and they weren't kidding). But everyone I met was super cool and friendly. I didn't see any pushing or shoving or roudyness anywhere... just a lot of happy faces (and lots of girls with signs asking Tom Brady to marry them).
-Steve

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hey Steve,
Head out here to L.A. on the next Laker victory parade so you can contrast-n-compare!
Seriously, I didn't think there were 1.25 million people in that whole area! Was anyone at home while the parade was going on? ;)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Seriously, I didn't think there were 1.25 million people in that whole area! Was anyone at home while the parade was going on?
There are about 14 M people in New England and there's about 200K college students in and around Boston. To be honest, I don't see how they figure the crowd size accuratly. Though the parade route was about 3 miles long and it was 10-20 people deep along most of the route. Boston City Hall Plaza (where the parade ended and the rally was held) is pretty big and it was body to body for as far as the eye could see. When I got on the Mass Turnpike to drive in around 9:00am, there were huge numbers of people on the road obviously going to the same thing... just about every car had 3 or 4 people in it with Patriots garb on.
Oh, and there was a LOT of kids who skipped school today. :)
One of the very cool things they had was a HUGE jumbotron in City Hall Plaza showing a replay of the game while everyone waited for the team to come through. Lots of big cheers for all the big plays. A good time was had by all... I'm glad I went. You people from other parts of the country don't know how good you've got it... we've been suffering in New England for a looooong time.
-Steve

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Link Removed
Link Removed
(Some overhead shots from the rally at city hall plaza.)
My friends and I took the T in from Alewife (I live in Boston, a few miles outside the city) figuring it'd be quicker than attempting to find a parking space. I'm guessing we were right considering the T was packed from Alewife (!)
We had to park in a shopping center about 1/4 of the way to Davis square just to take the train from there for god sakes -- garage and overflow lots were both full.
So, we finally got to Tremont Street a little before noon. The parade was great... just to see the trophy go by and cheer for the team. They really screwed up the jumbotron and speakers at the rally, and we could barely hear what was going on... but, that was fine, I was just happy to be there. :)
I've lived around here all my life. This is the first chaimonship that I can remember a team wining (I was 6 when the Celtics won, and not a basketball fan...); It's nice not to be in 'Loserville' for a year. The Pat's are my 2nd favorite team (behind my beloved Red Sox) -- Having them win with such low expectations, and being such a likeable group of guys (especially after the 2001 Sox!!!) is certainly the highlight of my sports-fandom life.
The parade was a great time to just go let all that out for me. What fun!
Now, the city of Boston only has a population of 600k. The greater Boston area is a bit over 3 million (not including a few 100k students) and 1.2 million of us were out there cheering in 20 degree weather on a work/school day! Damn!
Now, if the Sox won. Wow. I would be at least 4 or 5 million would show up. People from everywhere would just drive or fly in to celebrate. This was a huge deal to us, but the Sox winning would likely result in city basically shutting down. That said, I'm going to continue celebrating the Pats victory for awhile. :) :) :) :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to the Pats.
I like Madden and all, but man, you don't play wuss tactics in football. No kneel the ball down and crap. If Playstation football has taught me anything, you march down the field and go for the win. :D

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I'm so upset with the Super Bowl. I wanted the Pats to win so bad, and my next door neighboor wanted me to take him on a $100 bet with a 14 point spread in favor of the Rams. I didn't take the bet. What a mistake that was :laugh:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing is, Las Vegas bookmakers still aren't fazed by the outcome. I heard a guy from Bally's say that the Rams are the favorite to win it all next year, and that the attitude is that if the same two teams played 10 times, the Rams would win 8 of them.

MikeM

Screenwriter
What you have to remember is that the line Vegas puts out there is to do one thing: promote betting. This is why the line often times changes closer and closer toward game time as people are throwing more $$$ on one team or the other.
Thus, the general public will still see the Rams as the dominate team for next year, and they are the favorite. Much like the Yankess will be listed as the favorite in baseball for ummm...I dunno, the next 100 years or so? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks