What's new

The Passion of the Christ: Definitive Edition - 02/06/07 (1 Viewer)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Wow, Fox sure dumped this with an absolute minimum of fanfare. Where are the reviews for this mother?

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
What? You mean to tell me there is no English dub on this one? Blasphamy. ;)

Seriously however I remember when the first release came out I had a customer at my store tell me that he's boycotting buying it until an English dub was done since in the customers own words "the money I'm paying for this should entitle me to demand for it to be done." I've yet to see Mel sell out his integrity for idiots like this guy thankfully.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah, but remember that Mel originally was not even going to have subtitles, which would have been a huge mistake, IMO.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

last time i watched the movie (two years ago now) i watched it without the subtitles, and i felt it was more emotional and i liked it better without actually.

i'm interested in this, but wonder if it came out on Blu-Ray.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
This set includes a theological commentary that's worth the price alone, despite the rest of the extras. It's an excellent, excellent commentary. It's one of the best commentaries I've ever listened to.

The making-of documentary is good, informative, but not great. The rest of the featurettes are good, but not great. But, this set is stacked and well worth the price. There are two more commentaries and a music commentary track I haven't listened to yet but that's probably going to happen this weekend.

This set is highly recommended and should not be passed up. If it does come out on Blu-ray, I'll definitely rebuy it again. That's how great this set is.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Pretty tempting but since I haven't even watched my DVD yet :eek: I'll wait for the BD. Maybe rent and listen to the commentary in the mean time.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Fox didn't send out copies - or not to me, at least! I've put in a request - hope to get one eventually...

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
I saw mentioned above that there would be deleted scenes from the film included in this set that involve Pilate. Can someone who has seen the new set elaborate on exactly what scenes involving Pilate are included in the deleted scenes section of the set, I mean what is happening in those deleted scenes with Pilate in them? Also, do you have the option to view the film with those deleted scenes put back in the movie?

Thanks for any info. :)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There are only two deleted scenes. One is called "Pilate". It is an extended version of the scene in which Pilate washes his hands when he condemns Christ. It includes the controversial subtitles that were omitted from the film. The new part is when Pilate produces the sign that will hang over Christ's cross "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews", and then Caiaphas tells him to change it to "He said He was King of the Jews", and Pilate says "what I have written, I have written!".

The other scene "Don't cry" is during the carrying of the cross to Golgotha, in which Jesus tells the crowd "Do not weep for me, rather weep for yourselves", etc.

These scenes are on the 2nd disc with the bonus features, so they cannot be viewed via seamless branching in the film, which is on disc one. Furthermore, they are rather low-res and non-anamorphic.

The only seamless branching option is to view the original cut or "The Passion Recut".

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
David, thanks for the info. :) I was hoping they would include more scenes with Pilate that were cut, or perhaps those planned scenes were not filmed in the first place, I'm not sure. Maybe they'll include them in the next special edition DVD set? :) Also, it's too bad we don't have the option to view them in the movie, the least they could have done was show them at the same res and quality as the rest of the movie in the deleted scenes section. I'm not sure what would be controversial about that scene you mentioned, it's what happened right from the Bible, there's no artistic license being taken in that scene or anything.

It's good to know that you can pick the theatrical version or the "recut" version via seamless branching. :)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
i'm out of the loop here...what has been put in or taken out of this recut? If I remember correctly, the violence is toned down a bit? Fox didn't send me this title...

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
The recut is the "Aunt Martha" version of the movie, where they cut to wide shots during moments of intense violence. Since the intensity is the point of the film, I find the recut a waste of time. If you want Mel's original, uncomprimised vision, just watch the normal cut.

How is Gibson's solo commentary?

Regards,
Nathan

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have not had time to wach the film with the commentary, nor have I had a chance to watch the cut version.

I'm actually interested in the cut version. I felt that the violence in the original cut became so repetitive that it began to bore me more than horrify me. You'd think that even a sadistic guard would get bored continually knocking Jesus down on the way to Golgotha, but they kept laughing as though they'd never seen seen it before.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I've wondered what the "Recut" version is like, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

David_B_K: Check your PM folder.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Less intense. Finally got my GF to watch it, who refused otherwise.

Again, how was the cross propped up upside down? That totally drew me out of the film.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Oh. I was wondering, as it seemed your post didn't relate to anything mentioned up to that point.

UliseZ

Grip
Since no one has reviewed this DVD I will.

I am going to talk about the Movie. First I saw The Passion Recut that is available through seamless branching. The movie is still hard to watch, but the blow has soften a bit but not that much. Only scenes that are toned down are the flagllation, crown of thorns and the crucifixion and when jesus falls down with the cross in downtown Jerusalem were blood that came out from his mouth was cut. Also an alternate scene that was not in the original theatrical release in the flagllation that was harsher that the original was that when the cat o nine is pulled from Jesus you could see a piece of flesh and blood fly off the screen that is why i still say this movie still hard to watch. Although the rest of the scenes they added were other angles although those scenes now make "The Passion Recut" more of the story of Mary. because the new scenes go to her and her reaction to what is happening to Jesus especially that flagllation scene makes this Recut heartbreaking. Above this Recut for me personally is the best version of The Passion.

Video: The Video is not as sharp bit as the original dvd release especially during the night scenes were you could notice the differences between the two releases. Colors are the same but the sharpness is different because of the added commentaries. Although the day shots are the same as sharp as the original dvd release.

Audio: The Passion Recut only comes in Dolby 5.1. I was disappointed that it was not in DTS as the original was. Dolby track sounds really good but i know it sounds better in DTS. There were several scenes that i thought this movie was encoded in Dolby 5.1 Surround EX one in the Condemnation, Pilate's Trial, when Jesus left for Golgotha, and Crucifixion to the end of the film. I felt that there was sound coming from the back channel. Those scenes showed great soundstage that i felt i was in Old Jerusalem Two thousand years ago. Although the only pet peeve that i had was that i had to pumped the volume to get the loud bass from my subwoofer to get whole expansive soundstage but still a good track.

I just but this Edition for "The Passion Recut" so I have not heard the commentaries, or seen the behind the scenes but this DVD Set worth buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks