What's new

The Parasound AMP LOVE FEST Thread!! (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I have a question about the 855A. It looks like a lot of people have this and are really happy with it.

But one think I noticed is that its 85Wx5. When pairing this up with a receiver that already has more power than this, i.e. a Denon 3802, Sony 5ES, etc, does this amp really help out?

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

Aaron

JerryIII

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. Fact is that I finally got my Rotel 1066 about 2 weeks ago. I can tell you that it integrates perfectly with my Parasound amps (HCA 2003A and (2) HCA 1000A). My Parasound amps have no problem using the 12v trigger on the Rotel for power up and down. The 1066 just kills the H/K AVR 80II/Sony EP9ES that it replaces. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Any of you out there with Parasound amps that are contemplating the 1066 need not worry. The Parasound/Rotel combo sounds and works great!

Thanks,
Jerry

GO GATORS!!!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Bob-N,

A lot of the 855A's were from Ubid at closeout pricing
~$300-$350 shipped. Unless Ubid gets more stock, the best deals out there are the E-bay and Audiogon turnarounds. Many of them seem quite reasonably priced.

I believe the 1205's on Ubid were going for ~$600 or so.

Aaron H,

The power ratings on the receivers you mentioned are not necessarily reliable through all channels driven, especially the 3802. The advantage of the 855A is the very conservative minimum rating is completely reliable. You should hear a decided difference with a dedicated amp but the results are largely system dependent. I pair my 855A with an H/K 510. Both of these pieces have very similar power ratings and excellent quality amping. The benefits of pairing both of these together are multiple: one is the fact that they represent 2 five channel amps with assignable channels and two, the bi-amping power that brings the front stage (and any other speakers) to life in a way a stand-alone receiver cannot.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Aaron- Good question and no quick answer. If your considering connecting an outboard amp, try before you buy. A very good receiver design should have taken all of this into consideration during develoment and if the outboard can access the pre-amp stage of the receiver more directly than then the on board amps, you have a very good chance for improvement. Unfortunatly, I know of no paper, publication or forum which could supply a hint of an answer as to which receivers should work well and which wouldn't.The Denon and Sony you mention are both above average and should be good canidates.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still trying to pick everything out for my new home theater. Of course, I will listen to everything before a final purchase, but I was previously under the assumption that I had to find a very "beefy" power amp to mate up with a receiver that already had 100+ watts per channel. Good to know this isn't true. I'd sure like to find that a $350 Parasound amp could really add some good to my system. Of course, I'm still eyeing those Acurus amps that UBID was selling a while back.

Aaron

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the confirmation Paul. I currently see the 855A's going for $400 shipped on Ebay (less than $1/watt) and currently at audiogon, used 855's are going for mid $400's, 1205's going for mid $700's.

I guess I'll be patient and see what comes up on the sites. Sounds like everyone's happy with the 855A's with regards to power.

BTW, anybody running B&W Nautilus' with their Parasound amps? 85W enough?

Bob

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
This is a "trying to get in on Parasound Love Fest" question?

I have the opportunity to buy a couple 855s at a very, very attractive price. Is it possible to bi-amp across both identical amps with 5 channels of increased power? I am asking about the feasibility of the technique and not the resulting power from doing it.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
If I understand your question correctly...

you must split the pre-out of each channel from your preamp/receiver with a Y cable and then you can run both amps in such a bi-amp fashion.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Jumping on this Parasound Amp Love Fest Train
Ive had about a month to "soak in" the sound of my new Parasound 885 and let me tell you, for the price, it was absolutely a worth while upgrade over my Denon 2802 onboard amps. I started out running 5 channels to 5 speakers, but then I bi-amped my front Klipsch RF3's and havent looked back since. It tamed the brightness of the Klipsch down, expanded the mid range and gave the bass a little punch that it was missing. I must thank all of the informative Parasound owners who helped me make the initial jump to the psuedo-separate world. It was well worth it :emoji_thumbsup: .
Regards,
Phil
VladD, BTW, did you ever get that ground loop fixed? That Rat Shak part I mentioned in the other thread worked for about 2 weeks, but then it started humming again. Then I got one of these and it took care of it. That being said, I just ditched my cable and went to direct tv and I dont even need that part anymore.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Angelo,
You just crack me up. I was kind of shocked to see this thread back up again. But, you did right. I don't ever want another amp. Doesn't matter if I've never even listened to one in my house. Parasound is it. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D :D :D :D :D

Ralph P.

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,
Ahh to enter the fray... I recently bought a Parasound 1205A to power the five channels in my system. I use an AMC 2100 to power the rear channel center surrounds. The system is controlled by a Pioneer Elite VSX-39TX receiver through it's pre outs. Well, I can tell you that I too absolutely love my Parasound!
I read about ground loop hum issues that some have experienced. My 1205A came with a toggle switch on the rear for use in the event of ground loop problems. The owners manual also came with an added addendum explaining ground loops, and use of the toggle. I don't have ground loop hums so this was not an issue for me, but it was nice to see that Parasound addressed this concern for those that do. I reviewed the unit at Epinions.com and received a nice e mail from Richard Schram, president of Parasound, praising the review. I think that overall Parasound is a class act. Enjoy.:)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Ralph,
Very nice review. I can see why Schram was pleased.
Now you've got me thinking I need to put one in for the 855A.:D
Let the Lovefest continue!!!!

Keir H

Second Unit
I am looking at getting a used HCA 1200MKII THX, anyone have any ideas on the performance of these? I am looking to replaced two channels from my HK PA5800 5 ch amp..thanks guys! Should I go for it @ $350?

DanaA

Screenwriter
Wow, talk about bringing a thread back to life. Funny thing is that all my audio equipment has changed, some of it more than once, but my Parasound remains.

I can't help you on that particular amp Keir. Haven't heard it. Did hear the 1500 recently and liked that a lot. Wonder if that model is similar to the one I heard, but perhaps less powerful, in like relationship to the 2205A and 1205A five channel amps.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I feel like a traitor, almost a year from my post on this thread I am now using a rotel 1075 with a ref 50 and paradigm sigs everything has changed but I love this gear too:D
Its all good, Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks