What's new

The Paper Chase (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
To make more room for my vast collection I recently ordered several boxes of multi-disk DVD Cases from shop4tech.com and placed my DVDs in them, placing the origional Cases in the Attic. I cleared four shelves doing this, however I do not see myself filling them anytime soon, since I figure it will take me at least a decade to watch all the shows I've accumulated!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Regulus

Good tip but I've already been there and done that. Over the summer I purchased 50 clear standard size cases that hold 4 disks each for about $31 shipped. The intent was to use them for shows I was now transferring from DVR that aren't available on DVD (e.g., Cheyenne, Maverick, Sea Hunt).

It wasn't long before I noticed the other possibilities. Many of my older sets contained a single disk in a standard sized case. Almost the entirety of the 50 cases went to replacing these, as well as some badly designed complete sets (e.g., MASH). I gained almost two rows that way. But the Fall/Christmas sales (and recommendations on this site) did me in and all the space is occupied once again. I even just purchased another 50 cases for the TV shows I hadn't burned yet and have no place to store.

Like you I have years of stuff I haven't even watched yet, but I just can't seem to stop. Looks like more shelving to build.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
And I'm in the minor leagues to many here. Just a few weeks back I picked up the complete "Buck Rogers, 25th Century" for nostalgia @ $7.99. I have no clue when I will have time to watch it, but I'll have it when the time comes. It just never ends.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My copy of Season 2 arrived several days ago. We have only watched the first episode so far. Unfortunately, the video quality is not very good. It appears that poor VHS-quality video footage has been used in some spots, as video quality will drop quite noticeably in the middle of several scenes.

Even with that, though, I am still happy I bought the set. It has been many, many years since I have seen this show, and have been looking forward to Season 2 ever since finishing watching the first season. This was one of my all-time favorite shows when it originally aired. Anyone expecting a high quality picture, though, will be sorely disappointed.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
yeah, i purchased and received my copy as well. I watch one episode last night and it was good. The only bad thing is that a couple of the characters from the first season are now gone and they are interchanging 1st and 2nd year students.

I still like the role of John Houseman as kingsfield. It is too bad that he died in mid 80s or when he was on silver spoon. Houseman had a very dry sense of humor and he brought this out in his characters.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There was a gap of several years between Season 1 and Season 2, as the first season aired on CBS and was then canceled. Showtime picked up the rights a few years later and resumed filming new episodes. Hence, the reason for the change in casting. After watching the first episode of Season 2, it also appears that James Keane (who plays Willis Bell) lost a significant amount of weight between the two seasons.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I never saw the second year season (only caught the last year on Showtime). Did they make any offhand reference to the departed cast members from S1? (Hart does mention Anderson in passing in the last episode when going through old mementos, but not revealing what happened to him).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Jack P

I never saw the second year season (only caught the last year on Showtime). Did they make any offhand reference to the departed cast members from S1? (Hart does mention Anderson in passing in the last episode when going through old mementos, but not revealing what happened to him).
It's been so many years since I have seen this show that I do not recall. There has been no mention of the old characters so far in the first two episodes of Season 2, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We've watched five episodes now. So far, only the first episode had the extremely poor "VHS quality" clips intercut with the normal video. There must have been some footage missing in that episode which required inserting material from another, very poor source.

Also, still no mention of characters from Season 1 in these episodes.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

We've watched five episodes now. So far, only the first episode had the extremely poor "VHS quality" clips intercut with the normal video. There must have been some footage missing in that episode which required inserting material from another, very poor source.

Also, still no mention of characters from Season 1 in these episodes.
I don't remember them mentioning the Season 1 characters much (if at all). Remember, it had been something like 3 or 4 years between the end of the CBS series and the beginning of the Showtime episodes. They probably didn't want to confuse viewers by bringing up secondary characters who were off contract and not scheduled to appear on the new series.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Says on the back of the Season 2 box that some episodes are not complete and unedited as they could not be sourced.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by stuartfanning

Says on the back of the Season 2 box that some episodes are not complete and unedited as they could not be sourced.
Exactly which episodes are those?

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Looks like the release of this series has stalled. When SHOUT! released season 2 I thought we would get the whole series. Doesn't look like it's going to happen!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It would be too bad that it was stalled. There was only about 18 epsiodes for S3 and S4. I am wondering if the quality of the footage turned people off. In either case it would be nice if this show could be completed. Nothing worst that seeing a show with only 1 and/or 2 season left to be released.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It could be if people buy it. Room 222, another great school show is also stalled. That's the said thing about intelligently written shows, they don't sell as there aren't that many intelligent people. The more moronic a show is, the bigger your audience, as there are far more morons than bright people.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

It could be if people buy it. Room 222, another great school show is also stalled. That's the said thing about intelligently written shows, they don't sell as there aren't that many intelligent people. The more moronic a show is, the bigger your audience, as there are far more morons than bright people.

It is sad that happens. I like my thinking shows along with well written shows. That is why i have stay with my roots and like classic tv.

I was born in 1968, so, I miss many of the 1960s shows. However, thanks to dvd then i get to see them like voyage to bottom of the sea, outerlimits, Thriller, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks