What's new

The Panasonic RP62 discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I'm still looking for a prog. scan player and I've had good luck with Panny in the past. I'll have to take a closer look at this model.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
For anyone who purchases this, could you let me know if it plays SVCDs? I know that my RV-31 could handle VCDs but not SVCDs. I'm also wanting to upgrade to a progressive scan model.
Thanks! :D

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
For anyone who purchases this, could you let me know if it plays SVCDs? I know that my RV-31 could handle VCDs but not SVCDs. I'm also wanting to upgrade to a progressive scan model.
sadly Panasonic doesn't see the need to add SVCD support to their players. I complained to them about the lack of SVCD playback capability when I purchased my RA-60, and was told there was no plans to support it in current or future products. :frowning:

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
In the specs for this model, it says 4:3 zoom mode, does this mean scaling for only 4:3 material or also non-anamorphic 16:9 material. I am REALLY interested in this player and would like to ask anyone out there who has had experience with the RP62 to please comment on it.

L8rz, Deepak Jr.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Deepak, the 'RP62 is just becoming available, so I don't know if anyone will be able to answer your question. Crutchfield now has the silver version in stock, but not the black version yet. They got the silver version in stock within the past few days.

Han

Second Unit
It was mentioned by someone on the SPot who's already gotten their RP62... The Zoom on this player is only a Joe Six Pack feature. For widescreen movies, the zoom goes into the picture a little so that the black bars are removed on a 4x3 TV. Effectively, it cuts off the sides of a widescreen movie to fit a 4x3 TV. Also, this feature can only be activated if the player is set for 4x3 TVs, so it's not even as flexible as the Malata or Toshiba Zooms.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
re: zoom

The RP-82 has this listed on their 'data sheet':

4:3 shrink function
Letterbox zoom and shift
Variable zoom

The 62 does NOT list this on their data sheet. I think you get more functionality in this area on the 82.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sean, I still don't think anyone can answer your question. I seem to recall your asking it before. Perhaps it was someone else. Anyway, I suppose the 'RP82 could be the better video player if it is using newer technology than the 'RP91, but the 'RP82 doesn't appear to be a true replacement. It will be much cheaper, which suggests that the overall quality could be inferior relative to the 'RP91. I hope Panasonic either continues manufacturing the 'RP91 or replaces it with an 'RP92 because I am not convinced that the 'RP82 is a real replacement.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
screw the PR62, im going with the RP82!!! Its gonna be like 50 bucks more expensive, but at least it will do "scaling" and i beleive it will also do DVD-A. The specs for the RP62 and RP82 are very similar, but the RP82 is the define pick for tvs that lock into "Full" mode while being fed a progressive signal.

L8rz,
Deepak Jr.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
I was under the impression that this player will support DVD-A also. But when I read the stats at Crutchfields website, I saw no mention. I know its probably too good to be true, but does anyone know if this player is supposed to support DVD-A?

If not, can anyone recommend a Progressive Scan DVD player that does support DVD-A for around the 300 price range. Thanks!

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Is the RP91 the only one that supports DVD-RAM? This would also be an important feature for me because I plan on buying a Panasonic DVD-RAM/-R recorder within the year.
Fortunately, I already have an RP91. ;)

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
i think you have to wait till august when the RP-82 comes out, im not sure what it will cost however.

James St

Supporting Actor
Crutchfield is now showing the black model in stock. So much for 07/03/02. Now if only the RP82 would arrive. It's the model I'm most interested in.

Jason, the RP82 adds DVD Audio and should be around $50 more then the RP62.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks