What's new

The 'Packys' What TV ON DVD Truly Has The Best Overall Presentation? (1 Viewer)

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy
Voting based on..

.packaging/casing
.design/artwork
.extras
.quality a/v
.liner notes

I had a friend who said Seinfeld, but I can't stand the packaging.
For one, the cover art is from the same photo session somewhere in the later seasons.
Also, the packaging could have been made smaller. Four discs in two slim cases, like the newer tv set are shipped in, i.e. Earl, and Everybody Hates Chris for example.

Ok that being said, here are my picks for packaging catergory and best extras as well as my overall choices.
I dont own EVERY set, but i am judging from a good amount that I own.

.packaging/casing
1. Deadwood. classy, somewhat sturdy book style.
2. SNL complete season one. Same as above. plus its understated and elegant
3. good times (j/k) dane cooks tourgasm. I love the thin tin case with a no text back, with a promo photo.

nice try goes to....CUrb Your Enthusiasm's pull out top and bottom thingie.
at the time it was a unique tv on dvd package. Now its just falling apart. Literally.
The monkees Record player dvd sets. They would be great, if they played records.

.extras
1. seinfeld. set the standard. nothing else comes close. though threes company and dukes of hazzard were impressive for 70's sets.

overall....

1. deadwood
great packaging. classy artwork, stunning design, solid extras, great sound and video, just lacks a booklet or any liner notes.

2. monkees
unique packaging, cool artwork and retro design, nice extras for a 60's show, and a mini booklet.

3. seinfeld the only thing keeping this set from being the best ever, is the aforementioned weak cover art ( i would have preffered a pic from each season on the cover of the matching one.), and choice of 4 instead of 2 digipaks.

I guess i'd have to say Deadwood.
HBO really knows how to package the discs (outside of Mr Show, which looks likeit was made in a school art class), and they also know how to charge for em. Gotta pay that art department.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the Seinfeld packaging is terrible. I'm all for uniformity but those covers are so dull.

SNL season 1 is a very classy presentation, I wonder if that'll continue if later seasons are released, since "classy" is about the last word I would use to describe most of the stuff beyond the first five years.

Overall, I would say the first five seasons of The Simpsons--uniform design with the couch gag, some elaborate artwork, and fantastic booklets. Then they ruined it with the worst packaging ever with the Homer head. The alternate/regular boxes for subsequent seasons are nice but I'm really not a fan of the thicker booklets. The other ones looked classier.

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy

I did see one of those once inside and out at gamestop, and yes the Simpsons does it right.

I wanted to add a classic show that has gotten the short thrift.
Cheers.
No extras. A superb cast who is doing nothing these days, and they cant come out of mothballs to do a commentary?

No liner notes or even airdates on the box.
Flimsy digipak and not to forget those terrible season 6 and 7 covers.

I also, heard great things bout the Dick Van DYke sets.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I think the Get Smart packaging deserves a mention. 5 complete seasons with slipcovers and booklets for each, all securely housed inside the outer telephone booth case with velcro doors. Combine that with the digitally remastered episodes and hours of extras, including commentaries, interviews, retrospectives, vintage ads and more, this is truly a class act all the way. The only drawback is that they didn't put this together while Don Adams was still alive. Thank you to Time Life and HBO Video for doing this series proud.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
I also have to give props to the first 5 seasons of the Simpsons. And really, the others that came after and were available in the "non-Simpson-head" packages were good also. They get the nod particularly for the incredibly enormous content they've packed into each set. These sets are truly packed.

And while the bonus content isn't overflowing on the following set, the Band of Brothers DVDs are just nicely presented. I love the tin, though some people don't care for the way the discs need to be retrieved, but I've always liked the whole set up. And I've always been impressed with the BoB audio/visuals too.

Another set that impressed me was the Freaks and Geeks set. And if you have the Yearbook edition, that's even better. But the sets are pretty loaded with content, the show is a blast, and the discs are presented in a package that's just covered with snapshots of the cast and crew, on set and off, and it's just a neat little package.

I also give props to the Red Dwarf sets. The packaging isn't anything to go gaga over, but it deserves a mention simply because they also pack those sets with tons of content.

mickeyTOR

Agent
I'd have to give it to Six Feet Under. Each set opens up like a little casket. Also - the images they use are quite striking. Simple - elegant.

I'd have to give the worst packaging award to another HBO show, Sex and the City. Those stupid plastic things are falling apart!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I dont get the infatuation with these gimmick boxes. Giant Cylon heads and freaky Simpsons hairdos only take up extra precious shelf space. Gimme a nice small package with some slim cases and I'm happy.

As for the winners, I'll nominate a couple. The Filmation sets - He-Man, She-Ra, Ark II - are some nice tight extras bundled up in a nice presentation. They really go the extra mile for, lets face it, obscure and forgotten TV shows. I'd give these mad props to Rhino for their Sid and Marty Krofft sets, but we havent seen anything from them in quite a while.

The other - at the risk of sounding like a broken record - are the Doctor WHo releases. Amazing restoration with a bounty of really well done extras.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I have to give it to the Simpsons. Everything about these sets (YES, even the head boxes) are wonderful and unmatched!

EDIT: Although I do have to say that I've noticed tape hits in a bunch of the newer sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks