What's new

THE OTHER (1 Viewer)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Ronald Epstein said:
Boy, I can't seem to get a break. :D
A modest proposal Ron: couldn't this sidebar discussion be appended to the existing Conversations with Twilight Time's Nick Redman thread? It seems to be picking up where that discussion left off.

I just see Robert Mulligan's lovely little genre treasure continuing to be trampled here by more 'sidebar' than...well...um...'bar'. ;)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
By all means, move those posts to the other thread. I'm the one who began this thread to bring attention to this beauty of a transfer, so there's that :)

And I don't think an e-mail from June of 2011 is that recent, which is the last time I made an e-mail to Mr. Kaufman that could be considered truly derogatory about this place, long before my return here and when I was an Angry Young (well) Man. :) Nothing selective about that--just stating pure, unadulterated facts.

Having now met Ron and having been back here in much calmer fashion, I have changed all my former opinions from those bad old days. As I said, we all have e-mails and we've all seen e-mails, but, as I've also said, I'm sure decorum will prevail HERE. And I'm done with this and anything further on this matter that requires response will only come from me in the other thread, which is a good idea from ROclockCK, who I hope is happy that I'm spelling his name correctly now even thought it's REALLY hard to type.

And we now return you to The Other, a beauty of a transfer and a wonderful film worth taking a chance on.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
haineshisway said:
Back to The Other: I don't remember what the DVD cover was like - did it really spoil?
(Uh...you could try the spoilered link in the earlier post, if you don't believe me?
Think this was at the point where a studio thinks a twist ending is too "lame", and tries to sell it up front as "That's what the movie's SUPPOSED to be about!"
And although I was ahead of it about two-thirds through the movie, I don't think this quite fits into the same category as studios trying to spoil-resell Magnolia or Jacob's Ladder...)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ejanss said:
(Uh...you could try the spoilered link in the earlier post, if you don't believe me?
Think this was at the point where a studio thinks a twist ending is too "lame", and tries to sell it up front as "That's what the movie's SUPPOSED to be about!"
And although I was ahead of it about two-thirds through the movie, I don't think this quite fits into the same category as studios trying to spoil-resell Magnolia or Jacob's Ladder...)
Sidetrack, but a funny one.

Modern Family did a take on this whole "spoil a movie" bit. Forget the movie(deleted the episode as well)...buy Jay gives away the ending of the movie he and Manny are going to see, to wit from the crowd..."Thanks"...reply by Jay "Christ's sake, the movie is 50 years old..."

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
schan1269 said:
Sidetrack, but a funny one.

Modern Family did a take on this whole "spoil a movie" bit. Forget the movie(deleted the episode as well)...buy Jay gives away the ending of the movie he and Manny are going to see, to wit from the crowd..."Thanks"...reply by Jay "Christ's sake, the movie is 50 years old..."
The movie Jay spoiled was "The Sounds of Music" when he mentioned the family's escape over the Alps. :)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ROclockCK said:
In any case, what in the name of all that's cinematically holy does any of this intersite p*ssing have to do with Robert Mulligan's overlooked and underappreciated little occult thriller finally coming to Blu-ray? Mine still hasn't arrived* but that's what I'm interested in reading about on a thread titled The Other. :P
Was left wondering the same thing, expecting some discussion now that it started shipping. Then again, the Twilight Time label seems to bring out the worst in people and these threads typically devolve into these sorts of anti-TT/pro-TT spats. I guess the more positive Drums Along the Mohawk thread was a fluke of sorts. Just when I think it's over...

As for the movie, I actually passed on it after being on the fence about it. However, I think I might just give it a shot given its positive feedback. I don't have all that many new movies appropriate for this time of year anyhow.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
RetroGuy said:
The movie Jay spoiled was "The Sounds of Music" when he mentioned the family's escape over the Alps. :)
And oh yeah...

Big Bang Theory lays waste to Raiders of The Lost Ark...that is classic...

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
JoHud said:
As for the movie, I actually passed on it after being on the fence about it. However, I think I might just give it a shot given its positive feedback. I don't have all that many new movies appropriate for this time of year anyhow.
This will be an interesting rediscovery for me 40 years after the fact Joe. I saw The Other three times in '72, and not since.

Age does funny things to movies though...some lose their lustre...while others shine in new and unexpected ways. I just recall really loving the unusual 'vibe' of this one.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Having now met Ron and having been back here in much calmer fashion, I have changed all my former opinions from those bad old days.
We had a nice meet. I remember it. I knew who you were and was
actually looking forward to meeting you.

It was old times. People and situations change. I am not holding grudges.

Hope we have the opportunity to talk in more detail when we have our next meet.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
ROclockCK said:
This will be an interesting rediscovery for me 40 years after the fact Joe. I saw The Other three times in '72, and not since.

Age does funny things to movies though...some lose their lustre...while others shine in new and unexpected ways. I just recall really loving the unusual 'vibe' of this one.
Actually it is the same with me. I have not seen it since the film original theatre release but remember how creepy it was and that feeling has stayed with me for all these years. I am looking forward to sitting down with this in a very dim room.

I really don't think (hope) it will lose that vibe.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Ronald Epstein said:
We had a nice meet. I remember it. I knew who you were and was
actually looking forward to meeting you.

It was old times. People and situations change. I am not holding grudges.

Hope we have the opportunity to talk in more detail when we have our next meet.
Me, too, Ron!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Moe Dickstein said:
And why on earth would TT change a business model that works? Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for them in allowing a sustainable buisness so these titles get released.
And it's worth repeating that the TT business model is not a one-way street. The studios (Fox, Sony, and now MGM/UA) also are on board with the limited edition model.

When I was a kid in 1961 the seating capacity at Yankee Stadium was roughly 67,000. The new Yankee Stadium has a seating capacity of 50,291. The team's home attendance in 1961 was 1,747,725. The team's home attendance in 2012 was 3,542,406.

In fact, nowadays there are only four major league baseball stadiums in the country with a seating capacity that exceeds 50,000. The powers that be figured out that there was no urgency for fans to buy tickets in advance when on any given day they could walk up on game day and find good seats available.

I was on the fence about buying The Other until I read Matt's review and the other positive comments here. Then I thought to myself, "I'd better order it while it is still available." That is exactly the kind of buyer behavior which the limited edition approach hopes to inspire.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I picked it up, too. Looking forward to a creepy '70's double-bill of this and LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (the OOP Paramount disc of which I just picked up thanks to Amazon Marketplace).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mark Cappelletty said:
I picked it up, too. Looking forward to a creepy '70's double-bill of this and LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (the OOP Paramount disc of which I just picked up thanks to Amazon Marketplace).
Hope you didn't pay more than $19.00 for Jessica, for WAC just reprinted it two weeks ago through their Paramount deal. Another good second feature would be the George C. Scott film THE CHANGELING.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ROclockCK said:

Thanks, just ordered it recently. I'll look forward to seeing how this one holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks