What's new

The Original FREAKY FRIDAY????? (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
Forgive me if this has been discussed in a previous thread. (I did a search, but came up with nothing.)

Has there been any talk of Disney releasing the original FREAKY FRIDAY on DVD? I thought that it would have been released to cash in on the popularity of the remake.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'd also like to see the original, and for that matter all the remaining Jodie Foster films, released.

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
And the currently popular Jamie Lee Curtis/Lindsay Lohan FF is the third version; just a few years ago, there was one made for the Disney Channel starring Gaby Hoffman and Shelley Long.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking that if they didn't release the original on DVD at the same time as the remake, then there must be something holding it up. It makes no sense to miss the tie-in!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would hope it is because Disney is creating a "Vault" style special edition, and Foster's scheduling for inclusion in the extras is delaying the release.

Claude North

Second Unit
A Special Edition would be great, especially if both Jodie Foster and the great Barbara Harris participated. However, I'm not holding my breath regarding Barbara Harris, considering that she was the only one of the four stars of FAMILY PLOT not to appear in the making-of documentary on the DVD. On the other hand, she did grant several interviews to various NASHVILLE-related projects, so who knows?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hope it comes out and I can't wait to see it (never having watched it before) and review the disc! The new version was a fantastically entertaining and well-assembled effort and not I'm curious about the original as well.

Another Jodie Foster film that I'd love to see is Candleshoe. Anyone know if it's out yet or are we still waiting?

dave :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Candleshoe was released on dvd by Anchor Bay and I have it, but don't know if it's still available or not.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey George,

is it 16x9? A decent transfer? (Candleshoe DVD) It still seems to be available at Amazon so I'm feeling tempted...

p.s. I also know how good an LP can sound :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have it too, but it's been a while since I viewed it. IIRC, it's non-anamorphic. Print-wise, it's not hardly pristine but not horrid, either. I'd say it's easily worth around $10, but I would start hesitating past $15, and $20 should give you pause.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Candleshoe is probably my favorite Foster film from Disney. The DVD isn't bad, but does need a reissue.

Two other non Disney titles that I'm waiting for are Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane and Tom Sawyer.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I believe it's non-anamorphic 1.66:1. I haven't seen it for a while, but while the transfer is nothing to write home about, it's certainly acceptable for a fan of the film. Whether Disney will do this themselves is hard to say. Anchor Bay also had the original release of The Great Locomotive Chase, which Disney is going to put out themselves this year.

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
The original FREAKY FRIDAY also starred Bob "Col. Hogan" Crane. The original film of FF came out at the time it was discovered that Mr. Crane was not the family man that Disney thought he was. The film was not supported very well by Disney at the time because of Mr. Crane. This may also be why it has not shown up on DVD yet. It did get released on VHS many years ago.

I saw the original FF when it came out in the cinema and remember the press at the time. You can view Mr. Crane's story in the film/DVD AUTO FOCUS (which does show FF being made).

AUTO FOCUS has some very adult themes and graphic to the extent that they blurred out some of the footage of the film (probably to maintain an R Rating)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks