What's new

The only reason to buy Superbit... (1 Viewer)

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
Well, one of two... The DTS soundtrack, and the nifty stainless steel lookin' packaging. Well the new Dracula and Gattica disks don't have the "neato" looking packaging anymore, just the plain ol' regular cases. I don't want to offend anyone; If you like superbit, great. I, personally don't see a difference in the video. No difference except the packaging, and the DTS soundtrack... Now I suppose only the DTS sound. Oh, well... Cheers -JD

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
I understand this is a subjective issue, but to me, the difference in all 5 released superbit titles is obviously better looking than the original non superbit version.

I did actual comparison, and the difference is not stunning but really obvious, strange others don't see them...

ScottL

Agent
Most people don't state their equipment when they post something about picture quality. That would really help. I think if you have a HDTV capable RPTV you would definetly see an improvment in picture quality(with superbit) compared to someone with a 32" conventional direct view set.

Scott

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
I have both a Pioneer Elite 16x9 HD rptv, and a Sony VPL-10ht 16x9 HD front projector. I have a Panni RP-91, a HTPC, and the Elite DV-09 as DVD players. I've compared the discs on all the different players/monitors. Again, I don't want to offend anyone, but on a scale of 1 to 10(10 being most dramatic quality difference), the video difference is no higher than 1-2 . I do like the DTS soundtrack if it makes anyone feel better... -JD

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I think they've slightly shot themselves in the foot by selecting films that often have great special editions, and ones that are rarely criticized for having a bad transfer. I mean, one of the launch titles was The Fifth Element, one that has long been considered a defacto reference disc for many. And one that already didn't have any extras.

Perhaps if they had chose some other titles, they would have a more enthusiastic following.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
In this week's issue of DUH Magazine

Introducing Superbit Special Editions!

DISC 1 : Superbit Movie

DISC 2 : extras, movie with commentary if avalable

wow.... maybe I should work for Columbia's marketing department.

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
I am using JVC GD-V4200PZW 42" Plasma Display connected by component cable from Toshiba SD9200.

Of all the 5 released superbit titles, I am lucky to have both the normal and the superbit edition, and in all 5, the differences in video quality is obvious, although not stunning.

The differences is in minor details and more obviously in color saturation.

I know this is not a "day" and "night" difference, but personally it should be very obvious, when I played them, even my 15 year old daughter is able to tell the difference when I pointed it out.

I know this is a subjective matter and not everyone can see it, but it is clear to me and this is why I will continue to order the coming superbit title releases.

Your mileage will vary...

Jaw

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
Jack

What is the cable connection between your dvd player and your monitor? because I find that you may not see the difference when using RCA cable

(I can switch between the 2 in my Toshiba as both component and composite are connected through different plasma inputs)

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
For those who sees no differences, is there any particular scene you guys want me to test out?

I have many in minds but will not post it here in long details, but typically, these are the things to look for

Look out for minor details, NOT major details, for example in Air Force One, in George Harrison's speech made in Russia, don't look at George, rather looks at the flowers along the tables, the superbit has a LOT more details.

In another scene where smokes first seen in the plane, look at the texture of the partition (wall), one has a lot more details.

I chose Air Force One because this is one title where MOST members here claimed that both versions have no differences. If anyone wants me to test out scenes from AF1, JM, CTHD, Desperado and TFE, please let me know.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Having compared a few of the Superbit titles,

I would agree that the improvements are very

subtle. It's not the overall picture quality

that's necessarily improved, but rather little

things in the picture (forefront or side) that

look clearer.

Even though I have good equipment (Toshiba 57HX81

RPTV and Pana RP91 DVD), I still feel that the

difference between the standard and Superbit

version are just too slight for any big hoopla

about this format.

I have seen releases from Fox look better than

a Superbit title.

If Columbia is indeed now releasing 2-disc

Superbit sets (transfer on one + extras on other)

then nobody will have a question as to what to

buy. In fact, there would be no need to release

a standard version anymore.

Perhaps those with equipment far better than

mine can REALLY see improvements in Superbit quality.

Those of you with average to above average theaters

like myself are going to have to really strain to

see the improvements. Those with poor setups or

who are oblivious to what Superbits is, aren't

going to see anything.

Martice

Screenwriter
Just like in the audio circles, some of us are in to details and some of us are not. It's so hard to determine how much we are all seeing and what we should be seeing when watching a Super bit title. Is it your system? Is it your cables? Is it your eyes and ears that detemine how much you will see and hear when watching a Super Bit movie?

If we all took a hearing test, would we all have the same score? What about an eye test? There are so many factors that come into play when you go on the search for minor details regarding hearing and visual capabilities.

As for me? Visual wise I saw slight differences in T5E but not drastic differences. However, sound wise it was much more ambient information on the disc than the original. In the beginning when the meteor shower is zooming past the bottom of the screen is an excellent part to test how much information your system is capable of revealing. It is more engulfing and the meteor shower surrounds you more with the SB version of T5E.

Give that a try and see what happens.

If not, and you don't hear or see enough differences to justify anymore future purchases that's fine and the only way to go because it's your hearing and your eye sight and your equipment and room that ultimately determines if you will get anything out of these discs.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
There's another good reason to buy superbits. People like me that do not yet own any version of these movies. The DTS track alone is a good reason to get superbit if you don't own the movie yet.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
but on a scale of 1 to 10(10 being most dramatic quality difference), the video difference is no higher than 1-2.
You claim you don't see the difference, then you say the improvement is somewhere between 10-20% better.

I suppose you wouldn't notice if your boss gave you a 10% raise?

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about the George Harrison slips, I meant to say Harrison Ford of course, I am certain it is a Freudian Slip and it must have meant Something
Time to see a psychiatrist.
:)

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
In my first post I was speaking of the substantial differences which would lead one to repurchase the DVDs... Nothing substancial except the packaging & DTS. In the second post, I'm speaking of the subtle object, color, and detail differences that are noticable overall. I should have known not to even touch on this subject again, but... I did. I agree with Mr. Epstein's statements/opinions about the disks. My original post was to make a comment that they changed the packaging on the new superbits, and that it was one less reason for me to buy the films again. And... I would definately notice Andrew, I am the Boss -JD
I forgot to mention the third reason to buy superbit... the lost director's cut of Air Force One starring George Harrison as the President of the United States... WOW! Perhaps the differences in superbit aren't so subtle afterall!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I think it probably very much depends on your equipment and even then you have to know what to look for. I haven't compared myself, but I can definitely see differences in some of the detailed screen caps provided by Bjoern Roy.
see links on this page:
http://home.t-online.de/home/bjoern....ew/Page_01.htm
check out the resolution of closely-spaced vertical lines in THE FIFTH ELEMENT comparison, for example.
My first Superbit (GATTACA) is coming this week, but I don't have the original to compare it to.

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
I just want to know one thing!

How come only "old" movies come out in SuperBit?

Why not put the movie on one disc and the extra material on a second disc?

NO! That´s to easy! First get them "us" sucker´s to buy the movie´s first release, the let them buy it a second time with great picture and sound!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks