What's new

The Ongoing Wal-Mart $4.88/$5.50/$5.88 Bargain Bin Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only individual title I saw at the $13 price point that I took specific note of was Disney's Enchanted. Highly recommended to anyone who likes Disney & musicals! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Radioman970 said:
And The Man with no Name...does that included the extended remaster version?
I bought the Man With No Name set but haven't watched the movies yet. The back of the slimcase for The Good, The Bad and the Ugly lists 14 mins of extra footage never before seen in it's original exhibition and a trailer under Special Features. I didn't see it says if the footage is incorporated into the movie as well or not.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
on the special edition the 14 minutes is in the movie and some of the dialog
was dubbed for the special edition.
i think it was because Leone films without audio and just dubs all the dialog
in later on.
so for those 14 minutes it was either never dubbed or the audio was lost.
I'm sure all of this was covered in a topic over in the dvd software area.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
At my closest Wal-Mart the quality of the titles in the $5 bin has taken a huge leap forward.
Whereas there would usually be a number of titles I wouldn't even know just as recently as a few weeks ago, it seems as if now there are a number of high-quality titles (such as Die Hard) in the bin (and in widescreen, too!).
There is also a second smaller cardboard display near the bin that is chuck-full of decent $5 titles.
I am woefully ill-prepared to give examples of the type of titles I am talking about...to the point where I almost decided not to make this post. But, I figured it might be worth it to point oput to those who have given up on their local bin to check things out.
I'm telling you, it's a sea change in the quality of titles in the bin. Lots of good stuff--some of which I remember thinking I paid top dollar for when it came out! :rolleyes
:D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
TonyD said:
on the special edition the 14 minutes is in the movie and some of the dialog
was dubbed for the special edition.
i think it was because Leone films without audio and just dubs all the dialog
in later on.
so for those 14 minutes it was either never dubbed or the audio was lost.
I'm sure all of this was covered in a topic over in the dvd software area.
I heard that Italian films were almost always redone completely for sound even if they were done in english originally.
I believe it was never dubbed since it was never released to english speaking countries.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Radioman970 said:
I guess it's the Leone Anthology that has the extended version.
I heard that Italian films were almost always redone completely for sound even if they were done in english originally.
I believe it was never dubbed since it was never released to english speaking countries.
I watched the whole set recently and the extra footage in incorporated into the movie. GB&U is the only movie of the 3 shown in widescreen that's anamorphic. It's probably better to get the Leone Anthology.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ron68 said:
I watched the whole set recently and the extra footage in incorporated into the movie. GB&U is the only movie of the 3 shown in widescreen that's anamorphic. It's probably better to get the Leone Anthology.
Cool. That's the one that has been on my "want list" for ages.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Anyone discover any great finds recently?
I was at my local Wal-Mart today and noticed the following in the DVD "2 for $10" bin:
* Mel Brooks' "Men In Tights"
* "The Matrix Reloaded" and "The Matrix Revolutions"
--> Of course, they also have up on the shelf a Matrix "Four-Pack" with all three live action films *plus* "The Animatrix" for $14.95!
There were also a bunch of fairly recent "Rom-Coms" in the bin (leftover from Valentine's Day Specials?) but the few that I picked up to examine were all "Full Screen" :crazy:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I need to snag one of those Robin Hood MIT DVDs. I didn't care for that originally. Long passed due for a revisit.
I picked up Alexander 2-DVD Unrated version for $5. Never seen it, don't tell me how it ends!! Haahaha! And Tootsie 25th Anniversary Ed for $7.
I didn't see much else in the bin. EDIT: Oh! They did have 2-movie set My Bloody Valentine/April Fool's Day in the bin. I figured that was misplaced. I already had April Fool's Day and I figure My Bloody Valentine, which I've never seen, was the annoying edited version. Wasn't sure.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
EDIT: Oh! They did have 2-movie set My Bloody Valentine/April Fool's Day in the bin. I figured that was misplaced. I already had April Fool's Day and I figure My Bloody Valentine, which I've never seen, was the annoying edited version. Wasn't sure.
That version of My Bloody Valentine is the R rated cut and it has everything that you saw in theaters in 1981 BUT the recent DVD re-release from Lion's Gate is the uncut version of the movie that had the footage that was edited to get an R rating.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It wasn't in the official bin, but a few weeks ago the local Wally magically revealed a bunch of copies of the AC/DC Fan Pack (the Rock Band AC/DC video game, their latest concert DVD, and a t-shirt) for all platforms, on sale for $30. I went to buy one (for $40) on Black Friday, and they'd sold out almost immediately. I scored the last PS3 copy.
The icing on the cake is that even though the shirt is technically a large, it's actually as big as an XL (and thus fits me).
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
TravisR said:
That version of My Bloody Valentine is the R rated cut and it has everything that you saw in theaters in 1981 BUT the recent DVD re-release from Lion's Gate is the uncut version of the movie that had the footage that was edited to get an R rating.
Thanks for the info. That's the one I'll get. Off Topic: I just watched Legend (Tom Cruise) in the reworked version and the difference is amazing. The thing feels less empty now and much more fun to watch overall. I've heard MBV has it's problems...wondering if the uncut helps matters....

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
I've heard MBV has it's problems...wondering if the uncut helps matters....
My Bloody Valentine just adds the uncut gore footage back to the movie rather than putting back character scenes or subplots like Legend or Lord Of The Rings or The Abyss. If you're a fan of slasher movies, the uncut version is the better one but nobody is ever going to mistake it for Citizen Kane.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up the MBV/April Fools DVD, plus the BCI 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds DVD and Hot Rod from the bin. Hot Rod was actually $4, along with a pretty good selection of newish titles. Can't remember any of the others right now... some pretty recent ones, IIRC.

The cut MBV was still good fun (for only $2.50). I'd never seen it before, and I happen to be on a slasher flick jag right now. Haven't checked out AFD yet as I am going through the entire Friday the 13th saga.

On an unrelated note, the packaging for the MBV/AFD disc is sort of odd. There was large sections of the amaray case cut out underneath the paper insert. It is in the shape of a recycling logo, so I guess it is "green". It seems "Green" Packaging = Cheap, Crappy Packaging, from what I've experienced so far from this trend. Don't quite understand how making a package so it will fall apart and not last, thus increasing the chances it will get thrown away, helps the environment.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Master & Commander in widescreen, finally! They've only ever had full screen of that before. EVen that double set with Dances with Wolves, I believe, was full screen all over the place. Can't wait to see it. Looks amazing.
I nearly picked up Willow because I thought it was a fiver. But it was $7. If I hadn't already spent too much at Big Lots I would have gotten it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks