What's new

The Ongoing Wal-Mart $4.88/$5.50/$5.88 Bargain Bin Thread (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
No sign of Ford Fairlane or other goodies people are finding in their cheap bins.
I did get 'Ford Fairlane' when it hit the bin about a month ago.

I haven't seen 'Heartbreak Ridge' in the $7.50 section as reported, though.

But I did get 'Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil' for $5.50, so that's something.

On a side note, I believe that 'From Justin to Kelly' has broke all records for getting to the bin.

This was a full-price 2003 new-release and is now $5.50...

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Dave, reading back on this thread you mentioned the Pink Panther movies being in the bin which I have seen as well. Do you know if they are anamorphic? It probably won't matter in the end and I'll end up picking them up anyway but I'm just interested to know.

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to confirm that Excess Baggage is FF ONLY! I was so excited when I found it in the bin and rushed to the service desk, (I had to exchange my defective copy of Three To Tango and there were no more copies at the store) but after getting to my car I flipped it over to see that it was FF only. I was and am very disappointed. I'm still going to get it from an on-line retailer so I can have it in Widescreen. But I had no clue that WAl-Mart was doing this.

$5.50 DVDs I've found for myself

Drive Me Crazy

Encino Man

Glitter

Harvard Man

Longshot

Simply Irresistible

The Smokers

True, many of these DVDs are not top rated movies but think if there's a movie you've always wanted to see but never made yourself rent it for just a few more bucks you can own it!

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I just wanted to confirm that Excess Baggage is FF ONLY!
Yes, I got burned a few months ago with EB too.

I bought it because IMDb didn't show a MAR release and I thought the packaging was dumbed down for re-release.

I still feel dirty from watching a MAR-only release (felt like watching cable) and would probably repurchase the title if I could find the 1998 version.

Unfortunatly C/Tri has released a whole slew of 2003 MAR-only reissues, which have headed straight to the bin.

The most recent example is 'Mortal Thoughts'.

I'd love to get this flick for $5.50, but will never knowingly buy MAR again.

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
I went last night and was lucky to find "Spice World" and made sure to check and it was the "flipper" version so I had to add it to my collection.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In there last night and they had added a TON of "Left Behind" in the $5.50 bin. There was no indication on it if it was wide- or full-screen. It is listed at every e-tailer as a fullscreen release, but those listings are for normal releases and the ones in the bin was a "Special Edition" (not exact wording, but close) release.

Does anyone know if this "SE" version is full- or wide-?

Does anyone know what the OAR of Left Behind is?

My wife caught a bit of it on the television back on New Year's eve, and the sequel as well. She's not overly religious (nor am I), but she said it was interesting in the same way as The Omen series is.

I'd like to pick this up so cheap, but I just want to know if this is OAR first. Any ideas?

Joey^T

Grip
I found Larry David's comedy "Sour Grapes" in the bin. Didn't pick it up but just to let everyone know who is interested. I did pick up "Mosquito Coast" and "Victory" (both anamorphic WS).

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I think it has already been mentioned, but Dark City showed up in the bin. My Wal-Mart just had the one copy that I could find. I've been meaning to pick this up for a while, but couldn't justify paying $15 for it. I also picked up Excalibur from the $7.50 bin.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Looks like the local Walmart in Michigan (across the border for me) topped up their $5.50 bin this weekend.

I saw a tonne of new titles in there, but the holy grail for me was the widescreen version of Mute Witness, a film I saw in the theatres back in '94 (or whenever) and fell in love with. I've NEVER seen this titles discounted online or in the stores, so to find it for $5.50 marked a major step in completing my collection as a decent price.

Also grabbed

Exorcist III (Wide)

Coma (Wide/full)

Manhunter (single disc SE; wide)

Not a bad haul for about $23.

Also found Jabberwocky and Powerpuff Girls Movie in the $7.50 bin a few weeks back, but those discs are nowhere to be found this time around.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I picked up Eastwood's "Firefox" and "Creepshow".

Also saw "Fatal Attraction" in the bin.

"Black Sunday" was in there but I was hesitant to buy it.

Is it any good?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Black Sunday is awesome...get it!
I grabbed Coma yesterday, along with Peggy Sue Got Married.
Be careful on Peggy Sue, though...DVDFile reports that it, like Last Action Hero and About Last Night, among others, is now being made in a MAR-only version for budget release purposes. Stupid Columbia. :angry:
My copy happens to be a duo-AR release, but copies in your bin may not be. Be careful.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Regarding the studios changing these $5.50 releases to MAR only:

If just figures they would find a way to screw up such a pure and wondeful thing as DVDs for $5.50.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
"Black Sunday" was in there but I was hesitant to buy it.
Yep its very good, and at $5.50 its a no brainer!!
BTW a lot of the aforementioned $7.50 bin titles have been moved to the $5.50 bin now at my local Wally World.
Managed to get the first 4 discs of the X-Men: Evolution stuff for $5.50 each :) !!
I should also mention that AT LEAST TWO of my local WMs have not only the $5.50 bin but at least 1/2 a rack full of $5.50 titles as well so be sure to check the racks also.
Also keep looking in the bins regularly because about 2 weeks one of WM bins was pretty much empty (about 25 DVDs in it) and I was sure it would go away then low and behold 2 days ago they filled up!! A lot of the titles in there now are the ones which seemed to have previously been unattainable here (Titan AE, Ford Fairlane, etc).
Lastly I have also seen some VERY FULL display/stands with $8.88 titles as well. These are more well known newer titles bit still a nice deal.
WM is definitely becoming a excellent place for the "CHEAP DVD SHOPPER"!!
Greg

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I just picked up Whipped from the 5.50 rack.

The bin has disappeared in favor of the rack. I missed the last batch of Rumble in the Bronx, hopefully they'll get a few more in! There's another WM near me I need to check.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Ford Fairlane finally hit the bin here. :) Also picked up an oddly coincidental double feature of The Buddy Holly Story and Peggy Sue Got Married.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Also, picked up 'Peggy Sue Got Married' (WS/FS).

Have to say, I've had good luck avoiding the MAR-only reissues.

Had to dig for a good copy 'About Last Night' and a few others.

Only regret was buying 'Excess Baggage' before I had fully figured out what was going on with the MAR-only releases.

Never did see a WS/FS copy though and now all are gone anyway.

If I ever find a WS/FS copy, I'll dump my current placeholder.

Not buying anymore FS placeholders though, I'm not into the whole 'open-matt is OK' thing.

If I want fullscreen with visible scanlines, I'll watch cable TV.

It just doesn't feel like a movie to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks