What's new

The omnibus UNIVERSAL forced trailer complaint thread (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=157719
If I get a disc that has forced trailers, then I won't buy anything that's been advertised on them. I was thinking of getting Meaning of Life but since it's advertised on this, I've decided not to. I was going to pick up Three O Clock High too but if it has the same forced trailers as the three discs in the box set, I'll pass on that one too.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
The latest edition of Animal House has the forced
trailers for the high scholl reunion DVDs.
We don't need commercials on our DVDs! :angry:

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
Don't fret, guys. There IS an easy solution: Insert and start the DVD. As soon as the Copyright warning appears, press Stop, then press Menu. You will be directly taken to the menu without being forced to watch the ads.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but that'll put some wear and tear on my player. It seems to hate stopping the disc then re-starting it.

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
Forced ads suck. If I wanted ads, I'd buy VHS.....And put black tape on the top and bottom of the screen to get the widescreen feel.....

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this exercise is already getting old and I've only seen it on 4 DVDs. However, instead of bitchin' here, I'm going to file a real complaint with Universal using Chris Purvis' suggestion above. Good call, Chris :emoji_thumbsup: and a :thumbsdown: to Universal!

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
If these really were forced (i.e. - you couldn't skip or fast forward through them), then I would be upset. Considering that I paid less than $30 for all three of these, I guess I'm not too bothered by having to fast forward though the ads. I know it's annoying, but how much trouble is it to hit fast forward a few times? I watched Weird Science last night and it only took about five seconds to get through the trailers.

I guess I just feel there are more important battles to fight. The two I'm most concerned with:

1. Getting more catalog titles released on DVD.
2. OAR on all releases.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
True, but is this really the sort of thing we want to encourage?
Again, I'm not the sort of person who skips through everything (when I play new discs for the first time, I watch EVERYTHING, including the FBI warning and any trailers), so if this annoys me, I can only imagine how much it must annoy others.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
At long last, Babe is finally released on DVD. It has been one of the titles that I have really wanted to own since getting a player.
Imagine the disappointment when I put it in to find that there are FIVE forced trailers on it that CAN'T BE SKIPPED! Every player operation except for "power" and "fast-foward" are disabled.
I know that other DVDs have had "forced" trailers before, but with those, pressing the menu button would skip them. Having trailers that won't even let you stop the disc is going very far over the line.
I do not pay for a DVD to have ads shoved in my face everytime I want to watch the movie. What is next, ads in the letterboxing bars.
Now, the big question: Should take the shrink wrap off of the Casper DVD. I remember liking that movie a lot, but don't remeber if it is worth putting up with this crap. I know about 1/3 of the Universal DVDs I have would not have been worth the buy with these types of forced trailers. Something for your bean counters to consider Universal.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The forced trailers are annoying, yes, as are the lack of inserts. Have you tried pressing stop then start?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Now, the big question: Should take the shrink wrap off of the Casper DVD. I remember liking that movie a lot, but don't remeber if it is worth putting up with this crap.
Well, I wouldn't have gotten to the point of touching the Casper DVD, but I never had that initial reaction of liking the movie when I saw it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Man, just when you think Universal can't sink any lower, they find themselves a bigger shovel and start digging. :angry:
I'll still pick up the set, because I want these movies, but I'll curse the idiots at Universal everytime I put the disk in. But then, I've pretty much been cursing every Universal release lately for one thing or another, so I guess that's nothing new... :frowning:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I use this program with my WinDVD that makes it possible for me to play any region DVDs and another of its features is free navigation, that is I'm able to just jump to the Title Menu, skipping any FBI warnings, studio logos and/or trailers, and well as other perks like being able to change audio tracks on the fly on some discs that have that disabled. I don't remember what it's called, since it's on my home PC and I'm at work, and I never actually see it - it just sits in the tray and I haven't touched it since I installed it. I think it's called "DVD Region Free", or something similar. Well worth it, in my opinion.
EDIT: Not much else left to do at work today, so I found the software; here it is: http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think this was mentioned in a "Universal Forced Trailers" thread and maybe a Babe thread I started about 2 weeks ago.

Im too lazy to search for it right now.

It depends on the player you have,the chapter stop butons on my player allows me to skip past them. Others mentioned they had to fast foward past them.

BTW,Ive been waiting for this one too and it looks great.

Babe PITC is the same as the previous release. I believe the reports of a new transfer are incorrect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks