What's new

The official Survivor Season 22 Redemption Island: Russell vs. Rob discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm telling you right here and now that it will be my personal favorite moment on this entire series if Ralph can take down that smug little Gremlin in a hat known as Russell.

As for Ralph finding the idol, I just figured that people in south just go out and routinely look for rocks for no reason at all when they're bored.

On a sidenote I must confess that I'm now convinced that HD isn't always such a good thing, I swear that Ralph is actually a werewolf and somehow got stuck in mid-transformation.

mike caronia

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

I'm really hoping Ralph is smart enough to rig up a fake HII, and wrap it up in the "official-ish" piece of cloth in the place he initially found it, and then prays for Russell to find it, and get super-over-confident in his dealings with folks in his tribe.

I think that is exactly what is going to happen.

The preview of Stephanie screaming 'best blindside ever' is the giveaway...the blindside will be on Russ or her.

I happen to enjoy Russell on the show...but I'm a freak.

And, I think the only way this season plays out is that Russell will go vs Rob on RI.

It's a scripted show these days...so at least I'm expecting to see that..

Hanson, the gov and Philip is gold!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As for Ralph finding the idol, I just figured that people in south just go out and routinely look for rocks for no reason at all when they're bored.

Oh Snap! That is funny shit. Glad I wasn't drinking water.

Thank you for that, John.

....and that would be awesome of Rooster concoted a

fake idol and let Russell find it. Hope the writers made it happen. :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Yeah... because the ones in the fire pit burned out. Yeah... that's it.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Maybe Ralph was finding rocks for a box ... to prove to prove to the others that he is smarter than it ... or in this case Russell is dumber?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Buh-bye, "Ressel".

Although I do think throwing the challenge was a stupid thing to do. And why didn't Ralph just tell a couple other people that he had the idol? They wouldn't have had to bother with the whole risky split-the-vote maneuver. He's lucky that Julie decided not to join Russell or he'd be gone.

On the other hand, he still has the idol and it's still a secret. So he lucked out on a pretty risky move.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I just find the whole strategy stupid. Russel may be a conniving whatever whatever, but you look around the camp and you know he is NO threat to win the whole game because he can't close at the jury. But he can play the game well enough to get you there. I would have held onto Russel like gold, because he's a person who can be part of your alliance, do the dirty work, get you far - and he's no threat at all to win the million dollars. There are a lot of people I would have booted ahead of him..

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Good riddance to Ressel. How about that crazy bitch, Stephanie? "A storm's a coming" did she really say that? I am actually surprised that she just didn't get right down on her knees at tribal and show Russel how she really felt about him - holy crap what a psycho.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Good episode. Not particularly happy Russell

was booted, but he's at Redemption Island.

Russell has never been good at challenges so

I am not optimistic that he will beat Matt.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'll be glad once Ressel gets the boot from RI as well, let's move on from the Ressel show, and back to developing more contestants from this season. At this point, it'll be more interesting to see how Rob wrestles with the HII concept since he didn't quite understand the politics of it in his last go-round. I was burnt out from all the Ressel-HII game play from previous seasons. Had Ressel actually earned his HII a la Ozzy (much more effort involved), than just rooting around camp like it was an easter egg hunt, I'd been more impressed, because it was getting ridiculous how "easy" it was for Ressel to find the HII in seasons past. I could actually see the producers providing clues to HIIs to be found on RI as well in the future, how's that for even more uncertainty when the eventual RI champ comes back into the game.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed Russell in the past, because it made the show interesting, but I'm over it now. And Stephanie is crazy. Her and the Federal Agent man would be great together. Loved the bit how Rob got him out of the seat.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I'm very disappointed that Russell lost the vote, but the fact that every contestant is always one vote away is what makes the show interesting. Who knows what will happen next. He's gotten out of seemingly worse situations before so maybe winning a string of RI challenges against other tribe rejects might prove to be easier than staying at camp. I said before the premiere that I would have booted him and Rob at the first chance, so I can't quibble with the strategy.

I certainly have to question throwing the challenge to get him out. That's a huge risk that they might not have taken had they known the HII was beyond Russell's reach. Not only do you lose numbers, but you lose one of your better challenge players. Smart individual move by Ralph not to tell anyone he had the idol. Divulging that you have the idol hasn't worked out well too often.

I guess with the RI challenges we're likely to not get reward challenges? Fine by me as I more enjoy the life at camp scenes.

As for the HII clues in the past, I don't think they were any more complicated. Usually they directed you to an obvious place back at camp, like the water well, tree mail spot or the sign over the camp. It just seemed complicated if you followed the clues. If instead you just searched at camp with the Russell approach, you could find them, just like Ralph and the crazy Christina.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought the point to select--randomly--two tribemates from each tribe to witness the Redemption Island challenge was smart for a couple of reasons. It gave the producers a number of reaction shots to create more visual interest in the challenge as it happened...but it also created an interesting dynamic in the teaming up of each pair and what they would/wouldn't tell their tribemates upon their return.

However, I am a little bummed that the Redemption Island challenge took up such a large part of the hour. For me, it further cuts into the coverage of the camp dynamic and really clutters up the flow of the gameplay. Somehow I get the sense that with Russell involved at RI, we will be spending even MORE time there as long as he is still around.

There has been a trend in recent seasons to combine the Reward/Immunity challenges into one single challenge. I have been mixed on that strategy...but see the RI challenges really cutting into our time with the bulk of the contestants each week.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I thought the craziest thing was when Stephanie kept talking trash and saying, "a storm is coming" after Russell was voted off in TC. She said it with a religous kind of fervor -- like a cultist talking to people after they take the cult leader into custody. Stephanie is like the Squeaky Fromme of Survivor.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Overall a good episode. I kind of like the RI showdown taking place of the reward challenge. I am not confident that Russell aka "Ressel" will be able to beat Matt. I am not a fan of Matt, he reminds me too much of Fabio. He doesn't seem to have a clue of what's going on and is going to play the I'm the nice guy who somehow got to the end without screwing anyone. Sounds like I already convinced myself that he won.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks