What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (6 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Listened to the expanded insurrection score the other day. Great score!
I also listened to the undiscovered country recently too.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Neil Middlemiss said:
Here's hoping they come to my state (or at least one of the states around me,) so I can attend one of these. That would be wonderful!

They mention 100 cities in the press release.

I saw the Star Wars concert in 2010 and was very impressed.

I am looking forward to this Star Trek tour!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Listening to the Star Trek astral symphony and the three grescendo tos 80s albums on cd. Good stuff.

Picked up the cbs insider Nimoy tribute magazine at the grocery store today as well.

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Jason_V said:
LaLaLand is having a 20% off sale...picked up some BSG stuff, along with Batman Forver and Alien Resurrection. This is a good time to pick up any Trek sets you don't have, if you're interested.
I'd say thank you but your post just cost me $192; I finally plunked down for the 15 CD Star Trek TOS soundtrack set.

I've been holding off since having is sometimes not so pleasurable as wanting… or something like that.

LLAP, sir.

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Jason_V said:
:D Well, the other way to look at it is you didn't spend $200+, right? (LaLaLand sales are the only way I actually justified the TOS set, and the Ron Jones box...)
Flawlessly logical.

I only wish I could find pdf files of the booklets online.

I've given up trying to read most CD booklets. Of all things, I've had the hardest time with the FSM Trek II set. My booklet had several pages with unreadably blurry text. I was able to get a replacement booklet but it had different blurry pages.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Dave S.G. said:
Flawlessly logical.

I only wish I could find pdf files of the booklets online.

I've given up trying to read most CD booklets. Of all things, I've had the hardest time with the FSM Trek II set. My booklet had several pages with unreadably blurry text. I was able to get a replacement booklet but it had different blurry pages.

I have started scanning my booklets to PDF, then I can zoom them to whatever size on the computer screen. Much easier on the eyes!

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Neil S. Bulk said:
Gerald Fried's scores to "Catspaw" and "Friday's Child" are now available from iTunes, Amazon and Google Play.

Neil
Oh my gosh ... it hadn't occurred to me to search on Google Play. Thanks!! I have the $7.99 (early sign-up) Google Play Music All Access sub, so these are available to me ... automagically! Listening now!

(I bought the Amok Time/Doomsday Machine GNP Crescendo CD years ago as those episodes have some of the most evocative music from the series. Though "Catspaw" comes in close second, too.)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Neil S. Bulk said:
Gerald Fried's scores to "Catspaw" and "Friday's Child" are now available from iTunes, Amazon and Google Play.

Neil
Missed this post. Nice way to go if one cannot throw down $200 for the box set..

I saw Amazon has 2 of the albums listed....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SJ8M1NO/ref=s9_simh_gw_d0_g340_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-1&pf_rd_r=1SPN1PQ21EGSYPH1YEEH&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2068141862&pf_rd_i=mobile

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TSP83AM/ref=pd_aw_sim_dmusic_1?refRID=0T5JCGDPRD7ATS5RS7VP

Star Trek: The Original Series 2: Charlie X / Mudd's Women / The Corbomite Maneuver / And More... (Television Soundtrack)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I am watching the blu Ray version of where no man has gone before. The startled access feature mentions that gene originally changed the theme for the show, but the theme was disliked and the original trek theme was returned.

Has anyone ever heard this alternative theme? This was all new information to me.

I'm aware of the alternative cut on the season 3 bd set. I will watch that one again shortly.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought I'd post a quick few thoughts about the Star Trek TOS Soundtrack set. Even though I've had it since release time, I'm still finding new ways to enjoy the set and make somewhat new discoveries.

For example, at the beginning I was really interested in the Mullendore tracks after Lee was discussing them, I had always really liked the score for Conscience of the King, but the discovery for me was George Duning.

Metamorphosis was always a real favorite of mine and I enjoyed the score, but to hear it alone from the soundtrack of the episode and I can appreciate the detailing of the track. The whole score is great, from the parts depicting jeopardy, to romance to the Kirk speech section. The part that I'm really finding so cool is the track you hear when The Companion lifts the scarf and says she can't go with him. There's this sound that is perhaps called cliche for the fantasy genre, but it works so well here. I don't know what the term is, but Duning does a swirling magical sound that's just perfect for the scene. It also works so well at the end of Gamesters of Triskelion too.

In his next track for Return to Tomorrow he takes that magical swirling effect further and that score was a recent surprise for me because of that. I'm paying more attention to it now.

And then there is The Empath. There's that range again of emotion he can project and add to the scenes. Again the Kirk speech at the end is terrific, and reused with great effect in All Our Yesterday's when Spock has to leave Zarabeth.

The score for Is There in Truth No Beauty is not has stand out to me right now, but it has some stand out tracks for sure that gets used in other episodes. I'll give it another listen.

It's quite evident that Duning was known for creating sensitive and romantic scores and he comes through of course!

Also, what I really love about this set is the inclusion of five pieces of music that's used as incidental music. The long sought after Goodnight Sweetheart I'm so happy was reinserted in the episode. And it's great to hear it here. Amazing it sounds so period for a 1960's recording, but cleaner. The other track that I'm really loving is the Ivan Ditmers Brams Waltz. It's a terrific piece.

The other tracks I really like is the Space Music track used in Mudd's Women and then the track for the party scene in Conscience of the King. Finally, fun stuff with Nimoy's Bitter Dregs.

Fred Steiner is the man of course, he and Alexander Courage defined the sound of Star Trek. But the other composers all added their unique stamp to the series, so when combined in the three seasons, there is a really rich collection of music that's not generic or mediocre. Great stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks