What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Jason_V said:
I think this probably caught everyone by surprise...STID Deluxe Edition released this week...
Huge surprise. On the fence about ordering it. I loved the other trek expansion scores but I didn't get 2009 expanded. I thought into darkness's score was fine but it's not a favorite compared with all of the other films

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
After spending several months listening to the wondrous STOS soundtrack box set, today I went back and listened to the re-recording by Fred Steiner and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. It was a very interesting contrast to hear some of the same tracks played by a huge symphony-size orchestra. I have to admit, the main theme played by the Royal Phil is rather thrilling. And those quarter-note triplets are very sexy no matter who plays them.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
KP,Which disc do you refer regarding the Varese Sarabande Fred Stiener re-recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra? Perhaps it doesn't matter, the first volume that contains Charlie X, Corbomite Maneuver etc, or the second volume that contains Mirror Mirror and By Any Other Name, etc? I must say that I decided to not revisit the earlier discs after the release of the TOS soundtrack set because the set is the real thing! But I did listen the Label X re-recording of Mullendore's The Conscience of the King as it was my favorite track of those two sets from Label X. I really like the richness and full on fidelity, but it's still not the real thing as heard in the episodes. But you have me curious now to try out the Varese Sarabande discs! Thanks.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
It was the first Varese Sarabande, Charlie X, etc. Yes, I agree the box set is the real thing, but there is something seductive about that big symphony orchestra. After all, there are many interpretations of La Boheme and Madame Butterfly; how wonderful that there are multiple interpretations of other genres as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks! I took a listen as I have not heard that disc in a long time. It rather shocking to hear after having listened to the TOS soundtrack set. The re-recording isn't the same, but pretty faithful. I always listen for the bass. In many ways, I like it better then the 2006 version for the remaster.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Osato said:
Did anyone pick up the deluxe version of into darkness?
I did but have yet to give it a thorough listen. Something I hope to do this weekend. Will let you know what think...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Osato said:
Yup, but like Neil I haven't even thought about listening yet. I'm still trying to get through The Ron Jones Project. (And The Lion King: Legacy Collection came out...and Mary Poppins this week...)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Osato said:
Yes! Its a two disc set, so far I've only listened to the first disc. I've seen the movie so many times that just listening to the music, I could close my eyes and pretty much see everything that would have been happening onscreen. It's just in a standard jewel case, not like the fancier book packaging die the deluxe version of the '09 soundtrack. And I agree that the score is slightly less exciting than the '09.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
Yes! Its a two disc set, so far I've only listened to the first disc. I've seen the movie so many times that just listening to the music, I could close my eyes and pretty much see everything that would have been happening onscreen. It's just in a standard jewel case, not like the fancier book packaging die the deluxe version of the '09 soundtrack. And I agree that the score is slightly less exciting than the '09.
What is the ode to Harrison track??

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Osato said:
What is the ode to Harrison track??
I think that's on disc 2, which I haven't listened to yet. I believe the liner notes said "Ode to Harrison" and "Ode to Vengeance" tracks are the demos or rough versions or early versions of those themes, but I don't have it in front of me so I might be mistaken.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
I think that's on disc 2, which I haven't listened to yet. I believe the liner notes said "Ode to Harrison" and "Ode to Vengeance" tracks are the demos or rough versions or early versions of those themes, but I don't have it in front of me so I might be mistaken.
Cool. Thanks!I'm still on the fence about this one. I liked 2009 better than darkness.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Osato said:
Cool. Thanks!I'm still on the fence about this one. I liked 2009 better than darkness.
I'm glad I got the CD, but I'm also discovering that the cues that I liked the most I already had on the single disc edition of the soundtrack which came out last year (or were originally from the 2009 movie), so if it had sold out before I had gotten it, I wouldn't be filled with regret either.

For me, the 2009 "Star Trek" movie is a movie I love, plain and simple, whereas "Into Darkness" is a movie I love, but.. well, it just comes with a lot of "but"s.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
I'm glad I got the CD, but I'm also discovering that the cues that I liked the most I already had on the single disc edition of the soundtrack which came out last year (or were originally from the 2009 movie), so if it had sold out before I had gotten it, I wouldn't be filled with regret either. For me, the 2009 "Star Trek" movie is a movie I love, plain and simple, whereas "Into Darkness" is a movie I love, but.. well, it just comes with a lot of "but"s.
Good to know. The limited thing does make me think harder about the purchase. I missed out on the 2009 limited one. It was easier to pick up the tos films and tng ones due to the passage if time. It was so fulfilling to have the full scores after all this time ! Now if they would do some work on some of the roger Moore bond scores.....

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah - I want the TOS box set with all those scores and am afraid it will sell out before I have the extra cash for it. On the other hand, I'm worried it's something I might appreciate having more than I spend time listening. Decisions, decisions...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
Yeah - I want the TOS box set with all those scores and am afraid it will sell out before I have the extra cash for it. On the other hand, I'm worried it's something I might appreciate having more than I spend time listening. Decisions, decisions...
Agreed!!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Osato said:
Like most I had a deeper appreciation for Giacchino's score for 2009's Star Trek, but having listened now to the 2-disc release for Star Trek Into Darkness from Varese, I have to say that I found that I enjoyed this score far more than I did from listening to the original album release. There are a number of tracks, or sequences, that I am really enjoying from Into Darkness. The expanded presentation of the score gives the listening experience more depth, darker pieces better balance the more playful nature of Giacchino's approach to the sounds of Star Trek.

Though some of the new tracks are quite short, some running under a minute, I find that they work. Moments like "So long, Scotty" and "Demotion Emotion" as presented here are enjoyable. Longer cues like "Undersea Enterprises, Inc." are very good. Tracks like "Harjugal visit" are more moody and controlled, and the Odes (to Harrison and Vengeance) are quite the treat at the end of the second disc.

The inclusion of the 8:43 "End Credits" is also very welcome as it serves as a nice suite of the main themes.

So, even if you were lukewarm on the score from having seen the film, I'd recommend this expanded version as, certainly for me, it expanded my appreciation of the score :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Neil Middlemiss said:
Like most I had a deeper appreciation for Giacchino's score for 2009's Star Trek, but having listened now to the 2-disc release for Star Trek Into Darkness from Varese, I have to say that I found that I enjoyed this score far more than I did from listening to the original album release. There are a number of tracks, or sequences, that I am really enjoying from Into Darkness. The expanded presentation of the score gives the listening experience more depth, darker pieces better balance the more playful nature of Giacchino's approach to the sounds of Star Trek. Though some of the new tracks are quite short, some running under a minute, I find that they work. Moments like "So long, Scotty" and "Demotion Emotion" as presented here are enjoyable. Longer cues like "Undersea Enterprises, Inc." are very good. Tracks like "Harjugal visit" are more moody and controlled, and the Odes (to Harrison and Vengeance) are quite the treat at the end of the second disc. The inclusion of the 8:43 "End Credits" is also very welcome as it serves as a nice suite of the main themes. So, even if you were lukewarm on the score from having seen the film, I'd recommend this expanded version as, certainly for me, it expanded my appreciation of the score :)
Noted! Great post!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm still thinking about it. I listened to the original release today. I like the score but don't love it. I think a lot of it has to do with the film. $27 is a bit much as well. anyway. It'll be good to get the third film underway. I'm hoping for more of a classic trek story

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's funny, I loved Into Darkness the first time I saw it, and maybe I just ran it into the ground seeing it so many times in IMAX, but I don't think as highly of it as I did at first. I still like it, and there's some really cool stuff in there, but there's also some stuff that's just like treading water and not moving the characters of plot forward. The sense of enthusiasm and excitement from the 2009 film is missing somewhat. I don't regret getting the deluxe score..but I don't think I'd be terribly upset if I hadn't gotten it in time either. It hasn't worked out to be as much of a "must have" as the deluxe versions of Star Trek I, V and '09 were for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks