What's new

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
That's right, Ron Jones was fired because his music was too good. They wanted soundscaping, and he gave them music, with themes! The Inner Light, from the 30th anniversary set is my favorite. I also liked his take on the Goldsmith Klingon music, in the 1st season.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would like to second the idea of getting a release of more of the scores of the original Star Trek series. I've been told that there is a story that the ones Crescendo released are the only tapes available, but I have to think that there are more out there.

I would be very happy to hear the various Fred Steiner scores, as well as Sol Kaplan's work for "The Enemy Within", Gerald Fried's work for "Catspaw", "Friday's Child" and "The Paradise Syndrome", as well as the various George Duning scores. Not to mention the various additional Alexander Courage scores from the 1st and 3rd seasons.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RickER
That's right, Ron Jones was fired because his music was too good. They wanted soundscaping, and he gave them music, with themes! The Inner Light, from the 30th anniversary set is my favorite. I also liked his take on the Goldsmith Klingon music, in the 1st season.
To be clear, Ron Jones didn't write that 'Inner Light' theme, Jay Chattaway did.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I, for one, am looking forward to the Ron Jones TNG set. The price tag is a bit steep, but I'll figure out a way to make it work. As for other potential Trek soundtrack releases, I'm sure that these labels are more than aware of the interest, and if there is some way for them to do it, they will.

With Star Trek III expanded, the deluxe edition of Giachinno's Star Trek, and now this, 2010 is a banner year for fans of Trek music.

Oh, and the beautiful score for the "The Inner Light" was by Jay Chattaway (not to take anything away from Mr. Jones). EDIT: As has already been noted above! /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

- Mark

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Kevin EK
I would like to second the idea of getting a release of more of the scores of the original Star Trek series. I've been told that there is a story that the ones Crescendo released are the only tapes available, but I have to think that there are more out there.

I would be very happy to hear the various Fred Steiner scores, as well as Sol Kaplan's work for "The Enemy Within", Gerald Fried's work for "Catspaw", "Friday's Child" and "The Paradise Syndrome", as well as the various George Duning scores. Not to mention the various additional Alexander Courage scores from the 1st and 3rd seasons.
Kevin,

Agreed. I own five CDs of TOS music (the three in the deluxe boxed set and two additional CDs which came out later). I treasure these recordings, and would one day greatly appreciate the entire TOS library coming to CD. Here's to hoping that it does eventually happen.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Have you ever listened closely to the segment in A Private Little War which occurs during the initial dialogue between Nona and Tyree? It's absolutely ethereal and (for want of a better phrase) 'other worldly.' Here is a clip. You need to get to about 3:56 for the sound byte I'm referring to, right after Nona says "Remember this leaf?" It intensifies both instrumentally and dynamically at about 4:12 (at which point I really think it is absolutely gorgeous), right after Nona sticks the leaf into Tyree's arm. This passage is (I think) used in other episodes, but for me it is quite isolated here because of what is (probably) occuring visually. I listened to this last night, and could not get enough of the sound world that the music for this particular scene inhabits.

BTW, the music which accompanies Kirk being brought into the cave (around 1:52) is also mesmerizing. It's a bit less intense than the fuller version we hear at the beginning of Friday's Child (prior to their beaming to the planet); however, it's still melodically very interesting, and the colors brought about by the various instruments are to me quite engaging. The percussion -- in this case, tambourines -- is also very judiciously placed. And I like how McCoy's narrative overlay works with the volume of the music at this point (very unobtrusive). How I would have loved to have been taking part in this performance back in the day....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Scott,

I know that part you are referring to. I'm on a deadline crunch today, so I'll take some time later to check that clip out.

It does remind me, now that the Ron Jones box set is coming out, that the music from shows during this period was so good! I'm watching Mission Impossible and I've not looked to see who composed the music, but it does have a similar feel. I think that some of the music is by the same composers used on Star Trek. It's just that shows like Star Trek let these guys try things that you may not do for other shows. Sort of that magical fantasy world. I hear similar stuff in The TwilIght Zone. And it makes wonder if you go back in time, where the influence came from. Forbidden Planet's use of electronic sounds or more likely The Day The Earth Stood Still? But the use of the Teremin became so over used and cliched!

Regarding the clip you refer to above, one of my favorite clips that I've mentioned before, I think has that same ethereal feel for me. That last scene in Mudd's Women when Mudd asks Kirk to leave him on that planet and it's in the transition shot of the Enterprise in orbit and you hear the harp.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Yes, that harp passage is wonderful. I am a fan of that episode, and oddly it's more for the music than for the actual story.

Please see the TOL thread as I have another tidbit I'd like to share.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I listened to that sequence you referred to above in A Private Little War. Yes, it is very other worldly and I agree, it's much more upfront in that scene. I recall a good portion of it was used in Catspaw in association with Sylvia as she demonstrates her magical powers. It really has that magical fantasy feel and takes you away into that world./img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
Scott, I listened to that sequence you referred to above in A Private Little War. Yes, it is very other worldly and I agree, it's much more upfront in that scene. I recall a good portion of it was used in Catspaw in association with Sylvia as she demonstrates her magical powers. It really has that magical fantasy feel and takes you away into that world./img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif
Nelson,

Yes, Catspaw is the other episode that I thought had that specific music in it. I will listen for it the next time I watch that one. Isn't it interesting how we often remember the specific episodes based on the music that occurs in them? Oh, how we need a release of all of the music used in TOS!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I found this handy resource for available Star Trek recordings on a site called Startreksoundtracks.com. The site has information about each series and film and associated soundtrack releases.

Here is the listing for TOS from that site (I was surprised by just how many of these CD's that I own, including the sound effects disc from 1988).

Original Recordings

Re-recordings

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
So...am i the only one who likes the music from TAS? I would own it in a heart beat. Some good Trek music. Very in the spirit of TOS!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by RickER
So...am i the only one who likes the music from TAS? I would own it in a heart beat. Some good Trek music. Very in the spirit of TOS!
Rick,

Not at all. I love the music from TAS. And I understand how you would equate it in spirit with that of TOS. BTW, I purchased TAS back when it was quite expensive, and still watch the twenty-two episodes fairly regularly.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I just wanted to poke my head into this thread, which I just found. I've been a fan of STAR TREK music (along with many other soundtracks, both TV and movie) for years, and back in the days when CDs were new things, I grabbed all of the discs I could find with STAR TREK music on it, and this thread reminded me of the treasure trove of soundtrack albums that I own and haven't listened to for quite awhile.

One of the early appeals of soundtracks was that they were a way to own and bring home a piece of a movie - this way back before any kind of home video was possible. Thus began my fascination with having "pieces of movies" to play at my leisure. Since the advent of home video and DVD, owning soundtracks has become less of a priority since the shows and movies themselves are available to me at virtually anytime. Still, some music is so incredibly wonderful that it must be heard on its own, away from the other film elements that can crowd it out, and that's where soundtracks can really shine.

Just looking at STAR TREK the original series discs, I have in my collection:

- the three GNP/Crescendo original soundtrack discs

- Volumes 1 and 2 on Varese Sarabande with re-recordings by Fred Steiner and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

- Volumes 1 and 2 on Label X with Symphonic Suite re-recordings by Tony Bremner and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

I love this stuff!

Harry

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Here's a preview of that monster Ron Jones set:

http://trekmovie.com/2010/08/31/first-look-at-fsm-ron-jones-project-14-cd-tng-music-box-set-available-for-pre-order/

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
For those in the LA area, Ron Jones will be at Dark Delicacies in Burbank tomorrow signing the new Star Trek: The Next Generation boxset. Details here: http://darkdel.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks