What's new

***The Official Omnibus Consolidated IS WARNER ABANDONING SNAPPER CASES? Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
1. ? Keepcases have the shiny round thingies in them as well.
:)
Allright. But not with the same content on 'em.
And you're wrong about the hub. The snapper hubs are better.
(Artwork: I like the artwork less under a shiny plastic sleeve. Looks cheaper.)

BTW: Most of my books have different sizes too. Still the library looks beautiful.

Cees

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The other issue with Snappers is they have to use a completely different packaging system to issue 2 discs (at least they look completely different on the outside). I like sets (i.e. Gladiator & Star Wars) that just add the extension into the Keepcase.

As far as WB DVD's, I prefer the packaging of the 2 disc sets (i.e. Harry Potter & Citizen Kane) over the single snappers.

Everything else aside, it's that damn plastic thing that makes it difficult to remove and put DVD's back on the shelf. This is the biggest turn off for me. All the other minor flaws wouldn't seem so bad if it weren't for that plastic thing getting in the way.

Before I got my DVD holder, I had my DVD's stacked on top of each other (i.e. Laying down on it's back). It was MUCH easier to slide a Keepcase out of the pack and put it back in. If I pulled a Snapper out, I practically had to lift all of the DVD's up with one hand and put the DVD back with the other. It was virtually IMPOSSIBLE to slide it back in without having that plastic thing catch on the one above it. :angry:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
-last time I posted on the subject, a long while back, it was alluded to as my being some kind 'Nazi' wanting to round up Snapper lovers to send to Reducation Camps or some such nonsense.(i didnt fully get it myself) So much for sophistication....

Bill A

Grip
The best case for DVD is the jewel case - period. Everything else is less protective, as well as a waste of space.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Peter Kline wrote in post #18:

My guess is the new six-year contract with Warner Home Video includes printing and packaging by Ivy Hill — thus ensuring a continued cash flow for this part of the business — but I'm not sure.
I have not seen reference to this six-year contract in my reading on this. But unless this contract stipulates use of the Snapper and that contract was an unlikely explicit component of the deal, senior management at Cinram could decide to do something differently in the future (just as New Line senior management obviously decided to break with the Snapper despite their corporate parentage). It's all speculative
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
at this point.

But at this juncture, that Reloaded Keepcase should probably best be looked at as exactly that: a fluke, not an oracle :). IMO, there's nothing inherent to this deal that ipso facto spells the demise of the Snapper.

Paul

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The best case for DVD is the jewel case - period. Everything else is less protective, as well as a waste of space.
What? Jewel cases break from minor drops or being stepped on. I've rarely had a keepcase break. And when it does, it's only the hub.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've got to agree with Bill A. Jewel cases would make it SO much easier to store hundreds of DVD's.

As far as Jewel cases breaking, it would be the best of both worlds if the could make a DVD Keepcase the size of a CD Jewel case. This way, I'd have PLENTY more room on my DVD rack.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I just got my monthly AOL disc in the mail the other day and it was in a black plastic case with a curved spine the size of a jewel case.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I just purchased a newly released Warner dvd (New Jersey Devils Stanley Cup 2002-2003 Champions dvd, which really pleasantly surprised me being excellent quality, dual-layered, and in ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN??) and it is in a keepcase.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Fans hoping for a sea change at the studio may be disappointed, however. "We evaluate each product and its packaging configurations," a Warner spokesperson told Video Store Magazine. "For Reloaded, we felt the Amaray was the right packaging. There is no overall change in our packaging strategy. Future titles may be packaged in a digipak. We'll evaluate on a title-by-title basis."

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hate snappers. Don't own any. Converted all the former snappers into keepcases long ago. ;)

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Like most others who've voiced their thoughts, I dislike snappers. But they're better than those godawful hard-plastic cases that Polygram, Image, and some others used in the early DVD days -- the ones with the tray that slides out from the bottom of the case! Perhaps I'll see if I can locate some replacement art so that I can move my old Terminator disc out of that thing and into a keepcase...

Still, I'd like to see snappers go away and be replaced by keepcases. Jewel cases would be even better, but it's far too late for that at this point.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Jewel cases would be even better, but it's far too late for that at this point
I beg to differ, but I'd don't think jewel cases are the answer either. The artwork with jewel cases would be so small you would need a microscope to read it. Long live Keepcases!!

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
The artwork with jewel cases would be so small you would need a microscope to read it.
I've never had that problem with CDs, and don't see why DVDs would be any different. Still, Universal gave up on jewel cases for DVDs quite a few years ago and I'm not sure whether anyone else used them. That's unlikely to change now, since keepcases and snappers have been the primary packaging types for 5 years or so.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The problem with jewel cases is they're so fragile. The bits that attach the lid to the tray especially.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
*SIGH*

This is sort of funny. Back in 1997 and 1998 we univocally condemned the evil studios who dared to bring us DVDs in jewel cases (Babe, Backdraft, Waterworld), and when both cases were offered, jewel case ("JC") or keepcase("KC"), we solemnly vowed to buy the keepcases only.

Reasons were the artwork, the size and the fragility of the jewel cases.

They finally disappeared. Almost.

Cees

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Speaking for myself,

I *hated* Jewel-cases for DVDs. Too easy to mix in with your CD collection and as others have stated the hinge is too easy to snap off. I like the size/shape of the DVD case as it has been popularized with the keepsake case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks