What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This will be a long weekend for me. I'm putting my 16-year old cat down on Saturday morning, hated making the call to the vet, could have put him down today, but I wanted one more day with the fuzzball. At rest, his breathing is now pretty labored (he's always had a heart murmur, and the vet has always warned me at annual check-ups of the signs of his systems shutting down on him), and he's been pooping anywhere he pleases for the past few months, but his urination was in check unless recently, and now it's gotten worse, and after reading about the "'reasons for why old cats urinate outside the litter box", I have to accept that he'll won't be getting better, and I can't stand the thought of keeping him in a small room (it'd minimize the clean-up issues from his #1s and #2s) until his heart gives out.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Patrick,

I am so sorry, my friend. I hate reading these kind of things and
its inevitable that our cats are going to grow old and die.

I think you are doing the right thing based on what you have posted.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sorry to hear the news, Patrick.

Our older cat, Domino, has been having some serious health problems lately (readers may recall he had a urinary obstruction last year). He was hospitalized early last month with pancreatitis, and last week began showing the same symptoms again (vomiting mass amounts of liquid, lethargic, dehydrated, loss of appetite and thirst), and was hospitalized last week for iv fluids and antibiotics. The vet believes it is a kidney infection, but is putting off a biopsy (the only way to tell for sure), hoping that oral antibiotics and iv fluids (which my wife and I have to administer to him in a daily basis) will flush it out.

Our younger cat, Xena, has developed a compulsive disorder, licking herself bare (it looks like someone shaved her belly smooth), and is now on Prozac, which seems to be helping. Her hair has not grown back yet, but the bare patches are not growing as much, and her constant licking has somewhat subsided.

20120113_XenaSantaHat_B.JPG

Xena

DSC00373.JPG
Domino

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sam Posten said:
Shultz is not a fan of Windows 8, either!

Shultz is not a fan of Windows 8! by Kadath, on Flickr
Your cat looks a bit like mine, she has white on her stomach and paws and around the mouth area and a tiny bit on the nose, my photo isn't the best but it's a recent one, the light in the room was poor, i should fix it up a bit in photoshop.

cleo_5.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Patrick Sun said:
Well, RIP, Fred. I'm back home, cried some more tears. Time to lay down for a bit.
I've been there, Patrick. I understand your loss and send my heartfelt condolences.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Well, RIP, Fred. I'm back home, cried some more tears. Time to lay down for a bit.
It's always hard to do, very difficult decision to make, but better to put the cat out of its pain and let them move on. I've had to do it four times in the past 25 years, and it's always painful to go through.

Things will get better, but a lot of people don't understand the attachment we have to our pets. Wish you the best.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thanks! I've pretty much come to terms after shedding those tears. But I wouldn't lie in saying that I don't catch myself checking his favorite spot in my peripheral vision to see if he'll come bouncing out from there. Having to deal with 3-daily feedings for Fred the past year, it's weird not having to do so anymore.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Patrick, sorry to hear of your cat loss. Our cats are still young, four years old. But these are my wife's first pets, and my first as an adult. I do not look forward to their eventual passing. Todd, hope your cat stops its obsessive licking with the medication. Does it have anything to do with the illness of the other cat?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
DaveF said:
Todd, hope your cat stops its obsessive licking with the medication. Does it have anything to do with the illness of the other cat?
Dave, Xena's let up a bit on the licking. Glad the vet agreed to switch her from liquid to pill on the prozac, as it was not only making her drool and froth, but anti-social when it came time to giver her the medication. Nothing to do with Domi's illness, at least we do not think so.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Patrick, we lost a very dear cat several years ago, Victoria, to stomach cancer, and it was very tough to see her go, so I definitely know what you are going through.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
GUILTY!

Guilty! by Kadath, on Flickr
Very cute picture Sam.

Not sure if that is TP, but there are very strict rules in my house about how the roll should be placed.

It has to be where the tissue unrolls from the top, then I'm safe. If it's reversed, my cat will unroll the entire thing, then my black lab will run with it, eating half of it, leaving the rest all over the house.

Quirky things with pets we all need to adjust to. Cat loves to play with tissues, Kleenex, napkins, etc. Dog then loves to eat them, so the entire house must be child-proofed like I've got toddlers running around.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yep, it's roll of toilet paper they knocked off a window sill as the one on the spool was nearing EOL. Yes, paper hangs DOWN over the front of the roll, anything else is WRONG. =) And yes, these guys will pull half a dozen sheets out from the kleenex boxes too. Maybe I am a bad home owner here but if it amuses them and costs me nothing more than 30 seconds a day and an extra box or two a year I'm ok with it. TP down the stairs tho, I draw the line there hehe...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks