What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (4 Viewers)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
David Willow said:
I agree with everyone - if it is not bothering her and it is not causing other issues I say let it go. Now if there's a chance it could grow into something that would be an issue then perhaps it would be best to take care of it now while she's still healthy.

I completely understand the cat not liking the vet. My cat was the sweetest cat in the world... Until the vet walked in the room. Then instant horror unfolded. :)
It's interesting comparing cats to dogs. Cat absolutely freaked out going to the vet. My black lab, total opposite. She loves to be in the car, see new places and people. She has so much fun when I take her on walks or down to the neighborhood park or the fenced in dog-park where she can run around off leash. Seven years old but she has the energy of a seven month old puppy.

I had so many friends tell me that labs are calm, relaxed dogs once they get to about age two. Wrong.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I had a cat that would poop on her way there. The vet gave us a tranquilizer once for the next trip and it did the trick. She was perfectly relaxed and had no accidents.

We never repeated it though since she acted like she was drunk for hours afterwards, which was worse for us than cleaning up a little mess. But your cat sounds like an extreme example so it might be worth talking to your vet about something like this to make her more at ease, if it won't interfere with the anesthesia and such.

Even if you forgo this, it sounds like something worth exploring for routine trips in the future.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I snapped this picture a few weeks ago. It still cracks me up. :D

2015-10-08 23.34.22.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
LeoA said:
I had a cat that would poop on her way there. The vet gave us a tranquilizer once for the next trip and it did the trick. She was perfectly relaxed and had no accidents.

We never repeated it though since she acted like she was drunk for hours afterwards, which was worse for us than cleaning up a little mess. But your cat sounds like an extreme example so it might be worth talking to your vet about something like this to make her more at ease, if it won't interfere with the anesthesia and such.

Even if you forgo this, it sounds like something worth exploring for routine trips in the future.
I moved from Eastern Washington to the Seattle area years ago. But moved back a few months later.

Anyhow, vet gave me tranqulizers for the two cats I had at the time. I felt so guilty, they were terrified. The tranqulizer only knocked them out part-way, so any bump in the road, they'ed let out this pathetic, tiny little cry.

It was kind of a wash as far as travel time. About 500 miles, probably would have been even worse had I flown, with the check-in times and the cats in crates being handled like a cheap piece of luggage.

Down to one cat now and I think she's 14-15 years old. When her time comes, don't think I'll replace her. Cats seem like they're low maintenance, just keep their litter box clean, provide food and water. But there's a lot more that goes on. Clipping their nails, combing/brushing them, clean-up from the massive shedding, vet visits for shots and check-ups. It's a big responsibility to own animals, beware of what you may be getting into.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    blitz
    Recent bookmarks