What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
Haven't checked this thread for a while. Thank you for your post.
Richard Gallagher said:
There is a growing sentiment among many vets that when one of a close pair of cats has to be put down or otherwise dies, it is helpful for the surviving cat if you bring the body home in a box and let the survivor see and smell it.

The theory is that the surviving cat can't figure out what happened when his or her friend suddenly disappears and is never seen again. However, they seem to understand death and they can deal with that.

It's not an easy thing for the owner to do, but there have been many reports that surviving cats cope with the loss much better when they see that their friend is no longer alive.
Don't know if it's some weird kind of ESP or my cat is finally over her loss, but the last few weeks she has started going out into my backyard (ten years after her brother passed away).
Maybe just the good weather, sunning herself on the lawn, just totally relaxed. Fenced yard so no danger of her running off, but she's suddenly so mellow. I'll just let her do her thing and enjoy life.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
andySu said:
My cat Sooty, 6 years old this month. He's a male tom black and mink coloured house cat with lovely bottle-brush tail and a sweet meow.

A playful cat and he understands a variety of spoken words.

Do you want to play.
Do you want some Whiskas. (which is cat food)
Do you want some tuna fish.
Use your litter.
Play with the tissue. (He cashes after a folded up kitchen tissue and picks it up and brings it back to me)

And many more words.
You've got to make a video of your cat 'conversing' with you. That would be fantastic!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
All aboard, the Cat-anooga Choo Choo!
IMG_3914.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll look at the window, and see the little chirper silently mouthing "meow meow" at me when I'm grilling.

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 34

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They're indoor cats. We've been trying harnesses to walk them leashed, but no success so far. With the deck, we're going to try walking them again. But they're allowed out, free. Dash, as we've learned painfully, is a panicker. He will get spooked and bolt.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
They're indoor cats. We've been trying harnesses to walk them leashed, but no success so far. With the deck, we're going to try walking them again. But they're allowed out, free. Dash, as we've learned painfully, is a panicker. He will get spooked and bolt.
Good luck with harnesses. Cats absolutely hate any type of encumbrance. Last time I tried, I put a nylon collar on one of my cats years ago. Came home hours later to find it hooked over his lower canine tooth. He couldn't eat, drink, etc. and was not comfortable. Never used a collar on a cat since then.
My black lab, she's fine with a collar, but my Siamese cat, not a chance.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I tried my cat on simple leash lol many years ago only the one time. I later bought a proper harness but I got the wrong size! It was kitten size.

I didn't have anything I could use when letting him, walk slowly around outside. He had collar on and I just threaded USB lead to it so he won't run off. He just slowly walked around sniffing all the plants just a few days after it snowed Jan 2010. Later I just picked him up and brought him back indoors as he was getting nervous of the traffic and other neighbours.
USB cat wants to download on some plants :lol:

I think the harness is in the cupboard but cats don't respond like dogs do and dogs like to run around freely in controlled park area where they can't run out into the road!

There was no harm to Sooty, while on a USB or to the USB lead that he did try to chew it.

21579_302752560148_5910981_n.jpg

21579_302752565148_7452908_n.jpg

21579_302752595148_2705047_n.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
When I did try a collar on one of my cats, he flipped and flopped (it's amazing the movement cats can pull off), rolled around, ran around the house like he was insane. You would have thought I wrapped a boa constrictor around him. Let's just say it didn't go well and I've never tried again since then.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Our cats have collars with tags. They're fine with those.But put the harness on them, and they become slinky-cats :) Backs hunched and knees bent, crab-walking about. But they're intrigued by the outside. They enjoy the good sniffs. Also, Jackson Galaxy (My Cat From Hell) advocates for cat walking, to expand their territory, help exercise them and burn energy, and overall improve their behavior at home. So we'll give it yet another go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks