What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (3 Viewers)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
My cat Sooty, 6 years old this month. He's a male tom black and mink coloured house cat with lovely bottle-brush tail and a sweet meow.

A playful cat and he understands a variety of spoken words.

Do you want to play.
Do you want some Whiskas. (which is cat food)
Do you want some tuna fish.
Use your litter.
Play with the tissue. (He cashes after a folded up kitchen tissue and picks it up and brings it back to me)

And many more words.

740096_10152372032115149_7472652956549192955_o.jpg

He even has his own cinema seat all for himself.

1377599_10152369793135149_5032712911942002803_n.jpg

1493578_10152363505125149_1466744025260539867_o.jpg

1782452_10152366149290149_3334723679044790246_o.jpg

Bought him a limited edition Whiskas bowl last month.

10015136_10152350979115149_4875210478527743885_o.jpg

During rebuilding the stage for the speakers he found a way to jump up by standing on smaller sub that was in front of the stage and next thing I know he's standing on the centre channel.

882270_10152346496925149_5338312281360376909_o.jpg

1941325_10152346496940149_2699887027645437338_o.jpg

Cat bat transformation complete. :D

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Hey Guys!

Thanks for the offered advice.

Yes, absolutely, the litter boxes get cleaned not once
but twice daily. Once when I get up and before I go to sleep.

It would be a problem to add a third litter box. This is given
the problem of all the mess that goes along with it including
litter that gets tracked from their paws.

I suppose it's something I am going to have to deal with for
the rest of her adult life.
Cleaning and changing the litter that often as I know first hand what it smells it. Burns your eyes doesn't.

My cat Sooty uses the litter at least twice a day pee and poo and all that gets put down the toilet without the need to changing the litter.

How do I do this amazing thing? Well I did try the cat toilet trainer and that needs a lot of patience.

So for past several years I use a ready meal microwave plastic tray placed underneath his tail when I know he's going to wee, and pour it down the toilet. When he poos I place a kitchen tissue underneath him and then drop it down the toilet. Well hey I know its dirty job. I still have lot left in litter bag that was bought last year, If he uses the litter when I'm out then I'll change it and wash it out and put new little in the tray.

I would like to see him use the toilet as that would be a saving in litter. But extra flushing also costs money with water and sewage bills lol so no getting around it. :D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Right now, I'm giving the Tidy Cat Breeze a whirl. At the least. I have some of my cats peeing in it which even if that, is better than having the cats walking in their clumped up pee before I get to clean it. The pellets supposedly last a month but my cats still seem to kick them around, including out of the box.. But I haven't folllowed the instructions about putting some old clumps in the new Breeze to get the cats used to the smell.. I think the cats will come around to it eventually, and then I can give a more proper review..

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We've got the Tidy Cat Breeze (the pellet box, as I call it). It works well, but is an even more expensive option than litter, I think. We've put them in two problem corners where the cat was peeing, but where we didn't want litter tracking or dust. It is a tolerable compromise for us.

We tried the toilet training. I think we could have gotten Dash to do it were he an only cat. But Mango had no interest, and the dynamics between the two of them interfered with training Dash.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Jay H said:
many animals just love tulips, especially deer, they must be real yummy, makes me want to try one.. :not!!My cats used to love the baby spider offshoots of the common spider plant...Jay
Xena loves rose petals. She will reach up on a counter if any petals have fallen off, knock them to the ground, and devote them.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
DaveF said:
We've got the Tidy Cat Breeze (the pellet box, as I call it). It works well, but is an even more expensive option than litter, I think. We've put them in two problem corners where the cat was peeing, but where we didn't want litter tracking or dust. It is a tolerable compromise for us.

We tried the toilet training. I think we could have gotten Dash to do it were he an only cat. But Mango had no interest, and the dynamics between the two of them interfered with training Dash.
The Breeze pee pads seems to be a good indication of where your cat likes to pee. It seems I have two cats using it, one likes to pee at the back of the box, the other likes to stand on the lip and pee at the front. I caught greylock in the Breeze (aka pellet box) peeing into the back of it....

The pellets look like white rabbit food...

Jay

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Kind of an odd topic, but I use cheapo Western Family clumping litter, $6.99 for a 25 lb. bag. Use about half of it each refill, with the occasional cleanout between. Normally just dump the whole thing every two weeks and start fresh.

#1 Rule - Do Not Flush the "flushing cat litter". Major promotional lie. It can take 25+ flushes to get rid of it, it will clog your pipes or toilet, major pain in the ... Eventually it goes away, but far easier to just dump the box or scoop it out every few days. This is related to the granular, sand-like style of kitty litter. Haven't tried the pellet version mentioned above, I'll swap it out next time and report back.

--------------------------
Now back to our regular scheduled topic:

Andy, wonderful pics of your cat. Mine is now a blurred image. 14 years old, but for the past ten years or so, rarely see her. (Got her and one of her brothers at the same time, he died mysteriously at four years old, dropped half his body weight, shed most of his fur, I had to tube feed him, he had a horrible end of life experience, something I'll never put another animal through).

She owns the house, free to go anywhere and she does. I might see her five minutes a week if that. She'll come out if she hears me cooking, opening a can or something like that. If the house is really quiet and the dog is asleep once or twice a month she'll jump up and want to be petted, but other than that, she's a ghost.Somebody eats the food, drinks the water and uses the litter box so I know she's still alive, but they can be very independent.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Stan said:
BTW David, love the pictures of the two kitties together. Had a brother/sister pair of Siamese who did the same thing. Sadly the brother became ill at four years of age, nobody could figure out what was happening and he passed away. Still have his sister, she's probably 15+ years now, but still doing great.

Her entire personality changed after her brother died. They used to lay out in the sun, play in the yard, try and catch birds, etc. Ever since he passed away, she is strictly a house cat, maybe once or twice a year she may go outside in perfect weather, but I think cats have a long memory and she misses her brother.
There is a growing sentiment among many vets that when one of a close pair of cats has to be put down or otherwise dies, it is helpful for the surviving cat if you bring the body home in a box and let the survivor see and smell it.

The theory is that the surviving cat can't figure out what happened when his or her friend suddenly disappears and is never seen again. However, they seem to understand death and they can deal with that.

It's not an easy thing for the owner to do, but there have been many reports that surviving cats cope with the loss much better when they see that their friend is no longer alive.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Richard Gallagher said:
There is a growing sentiment among many vets that when one of a close pair of cats has to be put down or otherwise dies, it is helpful for the surviving cat if you bring the body home in a box and let the survivor see and smell it.The theory is that the surviving cat can't figure out what happened when his or her friend suddenly disappears and is never seen again. However, they seem to understand death and they can deal with that.It's not an easy thing for the owner to do, but there have been many reports that surviving cats cope with the loss much better when they see that their friend is no longer alive.
Works with dogs as well. When my Eskimo died, I let the other dogs watch the burial...even the cats watched.3 years later, the other dogs will take their afternoon nap on top of the spot.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I had to take Cleo to the vet yesterday, her eye had been scratched by another cat, the vet examined it, putting coloured drops in the eye, and took her weight, she then prescribed pain killer drops that i give via a syringe in the mouth and eye drops, picked the eye drops up today because they weren't ready yesterday, she said the eye will be healed in about 4 weeks, i was dreading the bill, turned out to be much cheaper than one of the other vets in the area, just £20.90 for a consultation, £48 in total including medication, you can't put a price on your pets life though and if necessary i would have used my credit card to save her eye.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Richard Gallagher said:
There is a growing sentiment among many vets that when one of a close pair of cats has to be put down or otherwise dies, it is helpful for the surviving cat if you bring the body home in a box and let the survivor see and smell it.

The theory is that the surviving cat can't figure out what happened when his or her friend suddenly disappears and is never seen again. However, they seem to understand death and they can deal with that.

It's not an easy thing for the owner to do, but there have been many reports that surviving cats cope with the loss much better when they see that their friend is no longer alive.
Haven't checked this thread for a while. Thank you for your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks