What's new

The Official DVD Discoveries Thread (1 Viewer)

Hmmm...is there ANY reason why one of my posts and a reply to that post (from someone else) were both deleted? I took time out of my day to give Paul feedback about the parts of the disc that I had seen (complimentary feedback no less), and the other person took his time to craft an intelligent response to what I had to say, so I'm a bit baffled by this. If our posts got erased because of some kind of board glitch, that's perfectly understandable. However, if the two aforementioned posts were removed by a moderator, then I'd at least like an explanation as to why.

Thanks.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I haven't seen the disc yet so some of this may be on there already. I'd love to see the entire process of a DVD creation from Telecine, color correction, menu authoring, dlt master to replication facility as well as packaging and who actually decides to use crappy jacket artwork instead of the cooler poster artwork, etc.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I laughed at the Van Ling segment, being one of the people who said "I don't want to play a video game!"

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Ok, I sat down to watch the rest of the disc:

CAV: Very interesting. Honestly, I would have like to seen more about labelling and packaging. That would be a cool segment for Vol. 2. 8/10

Cyberlink DVD Playback on the PC: Wow. What a great commercial for POWER DVD. It's a shame I already own it and know how to use it. Plus the sound kept messing up whenever it changed camera angles (bad editing, probably). 0/10

Cyberlink Home DVD Movie Creation: Worthless just like the above featurette. 0/10

THX Studio - Not bad. Just kind of ok. I guess. 3/10

Warner Brothers Music - BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!00 0000/10 (Sorry Paul.)

OVERALL: EXCELLENT DVD that shed some light on DVD Production!!! THANKS PAUL!!!! 10/10

Suggestions for Vol.2:
- Audio Mixing Segments
- WS vs P&S
- Restorations
- More with the studios in terms of content
- Cover Design
- Post-production marketing efforts

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Finally got my copy via media mail that I ordered last year.

I've watched all of the 'content' parts except Van Ling. I liked them all. The Tortoise and Hare one dragged a bit but it still conveyed some good info. Loved the Sharpline Arts segment. It was good to put faces to the names. I think most of the segments were for the true dvd uber-geek like Charles DeLaz said. These aren't the standard run or the mill featurettes but truly behind the behind the scenes. I like it!

Robley

Grip
Well I finally got a chance to watch some of the dvd.
I really enjoyed the van ling segment,and the segment
on how the disc is actually made.If you do a second edition
I would love to see more indepth segment on the injection
molding of the disc, This was very fasinating.

wally

Second Unit
Ordered 12/13/02

Notified via e-mail that it shipped First Class Mail 1/14/03 still nothing.

Looks like I have company though.
Well it's February 6th and I still don't have it. Who should I contact?

still looking forward to this one :emoji_thumbsup:

Robley

Grip
wally
if you read up farther you will see paul russell's post.
He is the one you need to contact. He is doing a very
good job of straighting out the whole mess.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Mine arrived a few days ago, and this is Feb. 6. Going from San Francisco to L.A....couldn't a healthy person have walked it to me in that time? :)

Media Mail is unpredictable. My bro-in-law in Kansas sent two books to California on the same day; one arrived in Laguna Woods (about an hour from L.A.) in a few days; the other book, to me in L.A., took another two weeks. Go figure.

About the disc itself:

I'd rate it "interesting" but not much more. I did skip over the Charles DeLauzirika/David Prior segment after a couple of minutes. I was already reaching for the remote before the guy (which one?) referred to anyone watching this DVD as an "uber-geek." "Guess I'm not an uber-geek," I thought as I pressed the skip button.

I felt that the other segments' attempts at humor, filmmaking, etc. were pretty amateurish and showed why these nonetheless very talented people were making menus and not movies.

The Van Ling segments were great, mainly because we saw so much of his outstanding work.

Jan

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'd rate it "interesting" but not much more. I did skip over the Charles DeLauzirika/David Prior segment after a couple of minutes. I was already reaching for the remote before the guy (which one?) referred to anyone watching this DVD as an "uber-geek." "Guess I'm not an uber-geek," I thought as I pressed the skip button.
Thats too bad, it got good after that.

Paul Russell

Agent
Hi gang,

There has been a lot of great feedback and comments recently -- thank you all very much.

It's been a while since I posted the official link to use for HTF members to order they copy. When you place your order, please use this Link Removed. It will help support this forum...

Best regards,

Paul Russell
President, DVD Angle
Link Removed
[email protected]

wally

Second Unit
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ordered 12/13/02

Notified via e-mail that it shipped First Class Mail 1/14/03 still nothing.

Looks like I have company though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it's February 6th and I still don't have it. Who should I contact?

still looking forward to this one
Came in the afternoon mail delivery.

Hummmm watch DVD Discoveries or The King of Pop on 20/20 tonight "uber-geek" or watch a freak?

Thanks Robley

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I finally finished watching all this. I'd agree the segments varied wildly in quality. I'd say the best was Van Ling. Largely because it was clever and informative.

The ones that stand out in terms of lack of quality are cyberlink's two pieces. They come across as a vendor promo. The problem isn't so much the promotional nature, but the lack of useful info. Pretty much everything there is specifically about their products, what features they have, how to use them, etc. Nothing of interest about how/why things are done, which was the focus of most of the other pieces.

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
Could one of you wonderful people, or perhaps Paul, please add this to the DVD Profiler Database?? I would try to do it, but I dont have a scanner for the cover art!

Thanks to anyone who tackles this request in future.

- Andy

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
The 2 Cyberlink Video Demonstrations fall under the term "hidden" advertising or product placement on a commercial free DVD :)

I really liked the DVD and don't critizise the inclusion of two promotional clips on a DVD of this kind, it nevertheless supports the right people, but Cyberlink should try to provide videos in DVD quality....

DVD Angle keep them coming (Vol 2.(Telecine), Vol 3.(Encoding), ...

I am ready to buy and learn !

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Bobby:

Your post and the reply that went with it must have been removed by some software glitch as I am unaware of any moderator removing them. Sorry you put so much time in your post to have it just disappear.

Parker

Paul Russell

Agent
The orders have still been relatively slow. So far only a few people from HTF have ordered a copy. Given the well-rounded and overall positive comments in this thread I'm a little surprised.

We have begun to branch our in our coverage and have several mainstream media outlets looking to support us with articles and interviews...and so on... Other DVD-related websites have started to receive their copies and reviews are in progress.

I've been receiving a lot of emails from people asking if we're going to be doing a second volume. That's still very much in the air right now. So far, the support has proved to be considerably less than we anticipated. That being said, we're a long way away from giving up on this. I'm confident in DVD Discoveries and have been very pleased with the majority of feedback -- especially from HTF members.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted of new occurrences. And for those interested in buying a copy of the disc, please use the following link to help support the HTF: Link Removed

Best regards,

Paul Russell
President, DVD Angle
Link Removed
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks