What's new

The Official DVD Discoveries Thread (1 Viewer)

Paul Russell

Agent
Yes, you still order DVD Discoveries. We are producing a limited number, but as of right now sales have been pretty soft. The good news is thanks to all the support from HTF (and various other places), sales are picking up so I wouldn't hold off too long if you want a copy.

To order a copy and help support HTF, use this link: Link Removed

Best regards,

Paul Russell
President, DVD Angle
Link Removed

Steven_M Grimes

Stunt Coordinator
I received my copy last week, but haven't had time to watch it until last night. For the most part, I found it to be interesting and informative. I would agree that Van Ling's segement is clearly the most enjoyable. Do I wish there was more on the disk? Well, yeah. You always want more of a good thing. It is DEFINITELY worth the price, however, and I actively hope that a second volume is produced.

Add my vote for a segment on restorations.

Steve

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Well, I ordered mine on 10/25/2002 and it was just delivered to me here at work. :D I get things faster if sent to my work than to my house. Am looking forward to checking it out this week. All I can say to others is to be patient as I have been waiting just over three months to get mine.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
My 2 copies arrived today. Both were sent via Media Mail (NOT First Class as promised in the Jan. 14th e-mail from Paul Russell.) Both DVD's were rattling around inside the plastic cases (as they were detached from the center hubs.)

I'll see if the scratches can be removed with a little TLC. I've discoved from past experience that most times the scratches are really just scuffs marks that can be almost completely eliminated by gingerly using scotch tape (on the reading surface only) to lift them off.

Anyway, they're finally here! :)

Reed

FrankAuer

Auditioning
It's funny...I enjoyed the Automat segment. I think they tried to explain a dry process in a humorous way. Hell I want to go work there! :)

Anyways might I suggest a segment for #2 (should it ever come to be) a segment on the small hobbiest DVD producer or just the small business DVD creator. The people who use DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro to produce training DVDs for local clients and such. Perhaps a whole segment about DVD-R or comparing -R to +R?

wally

Second Unit
Ordered 12/13/02

Notified via e-mail that it shipped First Class Mail 1/14/03 still nothing.

Looks like I have company though. :)

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
I too was told that since the many delays would cause delivery to be after Christmas that the orders would be sent FIRST CLASS MAIL and yet I and many others have received theirs through MEDIA MAIL which is by far MUCH slower than FIRST CLASS MAIL. If anyone else has received their copy and it came by FIRST CLASS MAIL, please speak up. It looks like the distributor messed up and sent them via slow boat and that is why it is taking sooooo loooonnnngggggg to get our copies. Hopefully, this will be fixed in future shipments.

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy, have you emailed Paul yet? He's already got a replacement copy in the mail to me, maybe I'll get it this time! ;)

GaryEA

Second Unit
Jeremy, have you emailed Paul yet? He's already got a replacement copy in the mail to me, maybe I'll get it this time!
Same here. I emailed Paul and he got back to me in no time, with news that another copy was going to be mailed A.S.A.P.

Contact him. The man's working hard to get the problems fixed.

Gary

Keith M.

Second Unit
I received my copy on Friday...

To be honest, im not overly impressed with the content. I felt like I was watching one of those late night infomercials for best buy. Some of the clips were very informative, but cheesy overall...

The THX trailers are readily available on existing dvds.

And whats with the music video? awful...

Sorry to complain, but our opinions were requested...

My Rating:

:star: 1/2

Derick Snow

Auditioning
I still haven't received mine as of Saturday, January 25. I received an e-mail saying that the DVD was shipped out on January 14. Still waiting on it.:frowning:

JeffRU

Auditioning
I received my copy on Friday, and unfortunately have watched the entire program.

I was excited by the Pre-production promises of a deeply content driven homage to our "favorite 5" disc". I was then teased by the producers delays and ongoing adjustments to the content and delivery schedule. Finally, I was promised prompt and free delivery in exchange for my patience for the past 4 months. None of these have been delivered.

The content is generally what I would have expected from some High School or College Film Making classes. Poorly scripted and without much substance. This is what happens when children are given adult toys. The language is coarse, the video/audio is basement quality at best. Those "professionally done" segments are self serving commercials/infomercials and without any in depth treatments or subject matter.

DVDAngle promised slick packaging, a special case and free shipping. The packaging is without note, the case is standard plastic, and the shipping is worth what it cost.

I did not start out to trash this entire project, but if DVDAngle is not called to task for this abomination, they will most likely try to sell us volume 2...

I guess that their intentions were well founded, but what I experienced was Grade "A" rip-off. A total waste of time and money. Paul Russell has demonstrated his marketing prowess and his production weakness, all in one product. Do not waste any more of our time with this nonsense.

I rate this:
1/2 :star: due to the recyclability of the case.

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
Received mine finally today.

The Warner Brothers clip was the worst of all. I don't think they understood the nature of the disc, and submitted this useless garbage that was way outdated.

First off I noticed the black level too low on this disc, but I guess it's ok since they include a THX optimizer to adjust the video properly for this disc.

There were a couple segments that bore me to death, but for the most part it was ok. 10 bucks....eh, i wouldn't say it's worth more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks