What's new

**** The official "Curb your Enthusiasm" discussion thread (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Like others have said, this was the funniest episode yet! Just one extremely unpleasant and funny scene after another... I was laughing so hard, from beginning to end.
The top three funniest scenes:
1. When the shelf fell down and Larry and Jeff stand there pretending to talk about different ways of putting up shelves, as Jeff's wife come in. They are such morons.
2. The final scene "The bald man gave me a hug in the bathroom and he has something hard in his pants!" and then the mob sounds. I'd like to see how he got out of that one.
3. When Larry is trying to pee while keeping the door closed. Really funny physical humour, more of that please.
I didn't see the first season either (except for the first episode), but I hope they'll re-run it.
/Mike

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's funny but you almost have to feel sorry for Larry David, I mean he's a genuinly nice guy, and whenever he tries to help somebody out, the shit blows up in his face!
laugh.gif

------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
So what did you guys think of last night's episode, "Shaq"? In my opinion, it was the best episode yet! Even better than last week's excellent "The Doll".
I agree with you John, Larry really tries to be a nice guy, for the most part (I'd say this is the main difference between him and George Costanza). Like in this one, at the restaurant, where he accepts to do those things for his aquiantances.
There were so many scenes in this one where I just laughed out loud:
- When Larry lies in bed thinking up the letter of recommendation for that guy (don't remember his name)... "This is a letter of recommendation for Leonard... something, I'll get back to you when I find out his last name"
- Larry leaving the resturant, and just keeps putting down $20 bills, "Is that enough? 50? 70? 90?" and everyone just ignores him. Just like they did in the very first scene, where they're all talking about babies, and larry is trying to talk about broccoli.
laugh.gif

- When the woman who asked him to do the birthday page comes back to retract her request, and Larry says "But I had already started working on it, I had written some funny recollections from our two dinners together..."
- Shaq in bed playing Scattergories, and Larry checks out the note in the trash can, showing that the doctor cheated. Shaq did a good job, really funny actually!
- Larry in the Starbucks.
So many funny scenes, lines and great comedic acting. What did you guys think?
/Mike

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
I've missed the past two weeks' worth of episodes, but finally caught it last night. Good stuff...
...but I have to disagree with anyone who says that Larry tries to be a nice guy. Larry (TV Larry, rather) is a VERY self-absorbed individual who never gives anyone the benefit of the doubt. His total lack of consideration is what makes the show so funny, IMO.
The recurring theme is: Things are going well until Larry says or does something so off-putting or inappropriate that 1). a screaming match ensues, 2). Larry is threatened either verbally or physically, or C). he embarrasses his wife/friend/relative while remaining totally incapable of understanding why they're mortified.
So long as the show maintains this black cloud over his head, I'll continue to laugh my ass off. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Damn! I missed it BOTH times so far this week! I have one more chance to catch it, and I will.
------------------
God bless you.
God keep you.
God help you!!!

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I wonder how many times have I gone into a Starbucks and THOUGHT "I just want something with vanilla in it"?
Yes, VERY funny show! I guess I have to postpone cancelling my HBO for a while more!!
C

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I thought "Shaq" was the best I've seen yet. When the whole "everything's going my way" sequence started, I was friggin' dying. Sure, it did eventually unravel at the end, but the look on his face when he realized no one wanted anything to do with him was priceless !
he is the king of looking "uncomfortable". He makes me squirm just thinking about it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I missed it again! Man I can't catch a break this week!
confused.gif

------------------
God bless you.
God keep you.
God help you!!!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Finally! I caught last weeks episode last night and it was a killer!
laugh.gif

Richard Lewis kiled me when he said at the basketball game "It's not an assasination attempt!"
laugh.gif

I'll tell ya what, Shaqel O Niel is one lucky son of a gun, I wish I had every 'Seinfeld' episode on tape!
------------------
God bless you.
God keep you.
God help you!!!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
"The Baptism" was another great episode, BUT the ending was way too predictable...It was so obvious that they would meet the homeless guy and that he would have their tickets in the coat, I wish they would have done a "double payoff" to hide it a bit...
Still I laughed several times, especially at the airport and during the drive... Cheryl is an amazing woman to put up with Larry. :)
The scenes right after the baptism were almost too much, but they kept it on the right side of being offensive... I liked Larry's reaction when the jews thanked him for interrupting the ceremony, and he said something like "Well, I do what I can", even though in reality he had no clue that it was a baptism. :)
Oh, and don't miss the link on HBO's website to this idol portrait of Larry: http://www.hbo.com/larrydavid/cmp/la...id_photo.shtml
It says on the HBO page that it's "suitable for framing". :)
/Mike

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've also become a fan of this show. I didn't warm up to it with the first episode...I think I found Larry too over the top at first, but it's really grown on me now.

-Dan B

Jodee

Screenwriter
I can't believe the "season finale" is already next week? How long was the season? It seems like it was much shorter than last year's.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
"How long was the season? It seems like it was much shorter than last year's."
They were both 10 episodes, pitifully short... :frowning:
/Mike

Jodee

Screenwriter
10?

It seems like we have only had about 5 - 6 so far.

Let's see..off the top of my head I remember:

Baptism

Shaq

Dolls Head

Thor

The Thong

Time must fly because it's hard to believe we're already over.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, guy's I guess that was it for this season, I thought the finale was excellent! I couldn't believe my eye's when I saw that Larry was getting a "happy ending" to his massage!:eek:
But was also disappointed that he stopped it, I mean how did he do that!? I know I wouldn't have been able to stop it, but that's just me.:D
This thread should hang around just fine in the archives, so when the new season starts, either myself or someone else will be sure to get it back into circulation. Hope to hear from all of you again next season, it's been a very hilarious season, and i'm sure our good friend Larry David will be back in full stride next year, and put his foot in his mouth once again for our viewing pleasure!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
John, yeah at least I will definitely start it up again... this is my favorite TV show right now, no question about it.
I can't believe the "season" is only ten episodes and that it's already over...!! :frowning:
I felt so bad for Larry during the whole dinner, he was only trying to be nice, and everyone was just treating him like dirt... and I could DEFINITELY sympathize with him regarding the "stop-and-chat" thing!
I wonder what the next season will start off with.... seems like he's pretty much blowing every business opportuinty he has!
When will it come back?
/Mike

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Another great entry from the series, which ended the season in a classic, low-key way. Wasn't as funny as "Judy"--a small-screen comedic masterpiece if there ever was one--but it still had its moments. You'd think Larry David would stop trying to be nice to people after all he's gone through this season. :)
By the way, did anybody notice the opening segment with the masseuse was a lot like the opening segment of one episode of "Seinfeld" where the gang visits seperate masseuses and Jerry makes cracks about abusing children? Granted, this show riffs a lot on "Seinfeld" themes, but this seemed like an explicit reference to that particular episode to me. Either way, an enjoyable episode.
Kevin, i've watched the show from the beginning, and this season is pretty much on par with last season. In fact, their were a couple episodes this season that were much funnier than last season, last night's is a prime example.
Thanks, John; now I hate missing S1 even more! :) Only 10 episodes per season? That's pretty a pretty low number, even for a pay-cable series. Oh well, I guess it's better to have 10 high-quality episodes rather than 20 episodes where half are great and the other half is so-so.
Hopefully HBO will get a move on and release this show on DVD...I can imagine it now: a 4-disc box set containing Seasons One and Two--hopefully it will become a reality soon! If they can do it for The Sopranos and Sex and the City, they can certainly do it for CYE.
Thanks for the laughs, Larry; we'll be seeing you next season, which can't come soon enough! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks