What's new

The official BLADE RUNNER SE thread. (Check out page 8 and #790.) (1 Viewer)

Heinz W

Second Unit
Wow, here's my initial post that started this monsterous thread almost six years ago:
Heinz W said:
due to "pesky legal clearances". Sigh.
Looks like I may have to get the current DVD since it looks like the SE will be on Blu-Ray or whatever the next format will be, and it appears that it will be out before BR SE! :angry:
What a prophetic second paragraph, except that the Blu-ray UE came out at the same time as the DVD UE. Back then I never thought we'd get such a thorough set as the BR UE. I'm glad I was wrong.
I'm also glad that BR is no longer a title in need of serious upgrade as it was for so long on DVD.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
just a heads up..
blade runner is coming to sacramento. playing at the crest theatre in downtown. its starts on february 29th. I don't think its the digital version.
Jacob

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill. :)
I finally (just now, in fact) got finished watching every single bit of material on the 5-disc BR DVD set. I got it for Christmas, and had to go through Spidey 3, Close Encounters, the Stanley Kubrick Collection and Twin Peaks before getting to this, the crown jewel. And it was worth the wait.

Charlie, it's been said multiple times and multiple places, but it can't be said enough. You've done a man's job, sir. (But are you sure you are a man? hahaha)

It is absolutely fascinating to see all the differences between the versions, particularly compared with the deleted footage. For instance, why do all versions of the film use the stolen footage of Batty's hand (from the Bradbury chase) and close up (from the Tyrell murder) for his introductory scene when that long shot of Leon walking up to him in the Vid Phon exists? There certainly were a lot of odd editorial choices made in the Theatrical Cut, that thankfully the Final Cut smoothes over.

Oddly enough, most DVD sets I watch cause me to notice a big glaring continuity error that I never noticed before (for example, Bishop's torso during the final battle in Aliens). For Blade Runner, it's when Deckard has retired Zhora and goes to grab a brew...standing some feet behind him is Rachael. The deleted scenes and shooting script explain this, but now that I know it's there I can't take my eyes off it...heh.

Anyway, I was a bit underwhelmed with the Twin Peaks set so I had my doubts about Blade Runner, but I shouldn't have. All involved did a magnificent job. DVD of the year, hands down.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
BillBR said:
Anyway, I was a bit underwhelmed with the Twin Peaks set so I had my doubts about Blade Runner, but I shouldn't have. All involved did a magnificent job. DVD of the year, hands down.
That set blew my mind.
--Jack

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, "underwhelming" isn't quite the first word that pops into my mind regarding the Twin Peaks Gold Box set, especially considering the legal hell the series was in for years, and then exactly what the first Season 1 DVD set was lacking (i.e., the pilot), and how reticent David Lynch has been about extensive special features on his DVDs.
It was positively loaded by comparison (the missing S1 commentaries and DTS tracks notwithstanding, obviously). Hell, a feature-length documentary alone was enough to get me to buy the set, to say nothing of both cuts of the pilot.
Charlie absolutely knocked both the Blade Runner and Twin Peaks releases out of the park, all things considered, and both sets were among the best of 2007 for myself (and I'm sure for many others, too).

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill. :)
OK, OK you guys. Let me explain myself.

What I meant by that comment was that I thought the Secrets From Another Place documentary was not as comprehensive as I would have liked it. That doesn't mean in any way that the set is deficient, as it knocks any run of the mill special edition out of the park (especially due to the amazing work Charlie and Co. did to get everything else). And the SFAP docu was fascinating and great in its own right, but comparable (I felt, anyway) to many other documentaries that scratch the surface of things but don't delve as deeply as you would hope.

What I meant to say was not so much bash the TP Gold Set but praise the Blade Runner set, since I felt Dangerous Days was one of the best documentaries ever produced. Ever. It is not every day that one's expectations are met and then exceeded, which is exactly what that documentary did for me. The reason why I felt "wary" of the BR set after Twin Peaks was just because BR is one of my all time favorite movies (as it is with thousands of others) and I would have been a little let down after all this time waiting for a DVD special edition to see a little 90 minute basic documentary. Charlie did not disappoint in the slightest, and I was trying to praise him and his team for that.

So I apologize if my comment sounded way too harsh on Twin Peaks, I was just trying to draw the comparison between the two the way I see it. I think the TP set is a fantastic special edition, above most others out there...but the BR set, in my mind, belongs in the DVD special editions of the Gods category or something. Hopefully that clears it up.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Does the recent sale price of the 5-disc BluRay set -- down to $20! -- indicate a clearing out of this title? I am wondering if it may mean there's going to be a reissue with the extras in HD this time and the 1992 version's 5.1 audio fixed?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Will_B said:
Does the recent sale price of the 5-disc BluRay set -- down to $20! -- indicate a clearing out of this title? I am wondering if it may mean there's going to be a reissue with the extras in HD this time and the 1992 version's 5.1 audio fixed?
I love an optimist. But the chances of them going back to put extras in high def are slim and none.
As for the 5.1 audio problem ... my viewpoint is that Charles de Lauzirika has left us hanging. He was around for the hype and applause but his follow-up has been non-existent since January.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
rich_d said:
... my viewpoint is that Charles de Lauzirika has left us hanging. He was around for the hype and applause but his follow-up has been non-existent since January.
That's ridiculous. He doesn't run Warner's home video department so he probably has almost no say in what they will and will not do relating to the problem. And no one is going to burn their bridges by posting that it's Warners' fault.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
rich_d said:
my viewpoint is that Charles de Lauzirika has left us hanging. He was around for the hype and applause but his follow-up has been non-existent since January.
Charlie is probably working on something that will knock us off our feet again.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
TravisR said:
That's ridiculous. He doesn't run Warner's home video department so he probably has almost no say in what they will and will not do relating to the problem. And no one is going to burn their bridges by posting that it's Warners' fault.
No. What's ridiculous is your spin on things.
No one is asking for someone to blame, so why introduce that to the discussion? Everyone KNOWS it's up to the WHV to correct this so you've contributed nothing but noise.
Charlie was asked by another poster (in January) about the 5.1 mix.
Charlie is the one who said he had a lot to say about it but hasn't.
The Good is a Blade Runner Boxset that delivered a lot of terrific content.
The Bad is WHV not stepping up and making this right and doing it quickly.
The Ugly is oh so predictable posts that try to blow smoke up your a$$ when any 'player' in Hollywood posts on this board.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Im thinking with 5 versions of the movie to watch, and now for under $20, why cant we all just be happy.....nooooo, someone has to piss in the lemonade.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
Edward Schatz said:
Can someone fill me in on the 5.1 issue with the DC? Is it just a copy of the 5.1 mix for the final cut or does it have other issues?
There's partial music from the workprint in the love scene. Some have said that the background music in Deckard's intro is the alternate version, and that theres a glitch in the music transition to the credits, but as I and some others have proposed, this does not appear to be the case.
The strange part is that, while the "Kowalski" line can be maybe chalked up to accident in that the Final Cut soundtrack got mixed up, the workprint music being used but only in one tiny section indicates intentional design. Theres no way anyone was "forced" to use this music due to condition of the original elements because all other versions--INCLUDING the Final Cut--use the regular music. And the Workprint has other alternate music in that sequence--but the DC otherwise plays out exactly as it should. And its not like you could just accidentally put the Final Cut or Workprint soundtrack to the DC because they won't sync up due to cut differences. So its some form of deliberate design, it would seem. If its somehow accidental, the explanation would have to be very convoluted indeed. Very strange. Not that big a deal, really, since the 2.0 track is there and a 5.1 DC track is itself not a "preservation" of anything since it never had a surround version to begin with so its going to be a new creation any way you cut it, but it's curious, especially since Charlie seems to have some thoughts on the matter but has yet to divulge what these are. Maybe someone decided that since the DC would have to have a newly created 5.1 mix they would take some personal creative liberties? I don't know. Its purely guesswork. I hate to drag out this debacle again.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
RickER said:
Im thinking with 5 versions of the movie to watch, and now for under $20, why cant we all just be happy.....nooooo, someone has to piss in the lemonade.
Yeah but I just want to know if I should pick up another or two now for $20 as gifts, or if I should save my money to put towards a better (all HD) version, if there's a a better version coming.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rich
Those are a lot of unnecessary shots that you are taking at Charlie.
I am going to politely ask you to stop.
I have already discussed your comments with Charles who would
have liked to address your concerns in public but cannot. It's very
difficult for him to defend his position without violating non disclosure
agreements.
What I am saying here is that some of the things you have
been posting concerning Mr. de Lauzirika are sometimes inaccurate.
The explanations you want cannot always be given without involving
other companies and individuals that he is unable to discuss.
Charles has been a member of this forum for many years and has
actively participated in threads like these. When he ceases to do
it could mean several things: he is busy, he cannot discuss the
question at hand, or he is being treated rather rudely.
I am confident that Charles will return to this thread when he
has something to say. In the meantime, I would hope that some
of these rude posts will cease immediately.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I think its a wonderful set. In the 4 or 5 months i have owned the thing i have watched every cut, every extra, listened to 2 commentaries, and i have shown it to demo my HT. Best of all, it was less than 30 bucks! Enjoy it, its wonderful. Warner went the extra mile for us, Charlie did a fabulous job on it...all i can say is i thought i had a critical eye. I bet some of you guys dont sleep well at night. Relax, and enjoy life! :)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
RickER said:
This 5-disc Blu-ray/DVD set at $20 is an amazing deal and if it isn't good enough for some or isn't perfect, I don't care and think Warner did a great job. I have no idea how this was delivered to consumers at this price. I don't recall anything like it and the shortcomngs are certainly not awful. If someone demands perfection, that is fine, but letting Warner know what issues are present and our gratitude for delivering such quality at a bargain price is what I suggest. I doubt if it is economic to re-issue it again any time soon and let's hope Warner does this well and delivers this kind of value with other catalog titles.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks