What's new

The Office (US) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
was wondering if anyone here was going to watch this version to see if its any good. I personally love the bbc version, so this one might be tough to get used to.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
MySpace has a 8 min (or something like that) preview of the first episode. Can't stand it. First off I don't understand why this had to be remade - secondly Steve Carrel is WAY to over the top. He over-acts ever scene, were Gervais simply played everything straight.

I love the original too much.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
In all the previews I've seen, there is no subtlety at all. They pause for the laugh with an "I just said something funny" look.

I love the original because Brent is so sympathetic. That's what makes it painful and funny. I could describe how specific script changes I've seen in the commercials for the new version have dumbed the series down, but I know I'd be preaching to the choir.

It's very disappointing that reviewers are apparently judging this compared to other American series rather than the original. Why must we settle for this?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i agree it wont compare to te origional, i do think it will be somewhat of a hit because most people who see this havent seen the first show.

carrel is alittle over the top. but still good.

nice framing on the scene with him sitting with the two women.
framed for widescreen on the hd version.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if America will get this show as-is, but I'll see how the "new" episodes pan out.

This pilot did feel stiff, though.

Loved the use of jello.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It just seems like an 'American' language version of The Office. It is a remake so I can understand that they want to use some of the same jokes and situations but this show is nearly a direct copy. The only difference seemed to be that there was no English accents in this one. What happens when they are out of Gervais and Merchant's scripts in 13 episodes?

It's sorta like the Psycho remake. They are essentially reshooting The Office only with different people which leads me to wonder, why even bother to do this show when the exact same thing has already been done better before?

Tony, I just checked and NBC is also broadcasting it in widescreen for the SD broadcast too.:)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
While I havent seen the british show yet heard lots about it, I thought this show was hilarious. I absolutely love Steve Carell...funniest man alive. :D

The later shows look very funny as well...definitely a show I will watch. :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The rest of the US version are reported to be new scripts, not re-telling of the British version. The pilot was the only one that borrowed quite a bit from the British pilot episode. NBC didn't want another round of "Coupling" on their hands from 2 seasons ago.

RickGr

Second Unit
Gave up on the show after 5 minutes? Instant gratification is needed for some I guess.
I will give it a few weeks to get its legs.

Mike Slade

Second Unit
I watched the original The Office this weekend so I could get it in before this new version premiered. Didn't want to taint it by watching the new show first. Anyway, after watching tonight, I think they did a pretty good job with the remake. Like Patrick said though it will be interesting to see where they take it with original ideas. I also agree that i don't think most people will get it.

I thought Gervais was a little over the top too sometimes.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I didn't like the British pilot episode either, but the subsequent episode caught a foothold and had me LOL a lot. Once I 'got' the David Brent character in later characters, everything clicked for me. Let's hope the Michael Scott character can make that turn as well.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I really have to wonder why they went with a near copy of the script, several look-a-like characters, and even sound-a-like names. They had better move away from the original script quickly. It will get old quick if they try to stretch out the same plot over say 26 1/2 hour episodes. Not a good start.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I was disappointed that they went with the same script, but I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I even laughed at the same jokes. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For now, from what I've read, 5-6 episodes were shot, and it the ratings are good, the show could come back in the fall.

Robin Warren

Second Unit

Well, finish your thought. Did you turn it off because you had some errands to run? Did you have to go to work? What point are you trying to make?

I laughed a lot at this episode. Granted, I have never seen the British version but I have always gotten a kick out of Steve Carrel. Favourite scene/most uncomfortable was the Punk'd firing. I have been that temp before. That horrible feeling of wanting to crawl under the carpet.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I was a big fan of the British version and it was a bit weird watching new actors speak essentially the same lines as in the British pilot. I found myself laughing, but perhaps this was because I was recalling the British version. Sort of like watching a road version of a favorite Broadway show.

However, I'll reserve judgment until I watch the newly written episodes. I like the fact that they have not added a laugh track and I trust that they will continue to use the long awkward pauses that were so popular with the "mockumentary" format.

The British series didn't do too well during it's first season until it got into re-runs and word of mouth helped it immensely. Time will tell if the same thing happens here as well (assuming that the new episodes are well written and acted).

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I think it's as good as Coupling.

A few changes I thought were odd:

1) Changing the bit about how much beer he drinks from the original to how much he gets paid in the new one

2) In the original when he lists his heroes, he mentions a couple of names, then realizes they're all white people, and throws in Nelson Mandela. In the new one it's ALL white people. So that half of the joke is gone completely.

I was wondering what kind of parallel to the Territorial Army they were going to come up with, and I think Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy was a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks