What's new

The Office: Season Four (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
For days I've been getting a communication log error (in red text) whenever i try to submit my information to the DunderMifflinInfinity website. Strange.

Last night's episode was good but I agree with Steve that some of the moments felt too scripted. The uncomfortable moments were my favorite. This was true with the original UK series, a show that benefited from a shorter run with more tightly wound and carefully scripted 'spontaneity.'

"Where are the TURTLES?!!!!!!!"

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
"The Office" has a mission statement, and it is personified in the buffoonish and often (unconsciously) cruel Michael Scott: "Personal connections and love are more important than money or business." Even if Michael mangles this message 99% of the time, Michael is the planet around which the satellites of "The Office" gravitate/rotate, as well as this theme.

As funny as they are, without Michael the show would have no center. The surrounding characters would be less funny. That's why a Dwight spinoff is a seriously bad idea. Beet farms, odd beliefs... his odd devotion to Michael is what makes him really amusing and it also adds a touching element (I recall the car scene between Dwight and Michael in "Branch Closing") to the show.

Upon further reflection, it's really Dwight and Angela's relationship which provides the moments which take me out of the "reality" of the situation more often nowadays. It has always rung a little too exaggerated and false to me, just this side of disbelief.

Did anyone notice right after Michael and Dwight escape from the car, you can see the shadow of the cameraman's head/camera on the ground at the shore of the lake? I believe that's one of the first times we've seen an actual visual mark of the "camera crew" inexplicably following these people around for years (despite their interaction with the staff).

I'll be watching this episode again, to catch the dozens of things I'm sure I missed the first time through.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think Ryan was always kind of a douchebag or at the very least, he was never 'one of the guys' in Scranton. Not that I could blame him for not wanting to get sucked into that job or having higher aspirations than working in a failing paper company. I think he's changed a little since he's a boss that has an office in New York City but it's not as drastic of a change if Jim or Michael had gotten the job and acted like that.

Maybe I just have pity for anyone who has to be the boss of Michael Scott. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

It was probably because they couldn't film it again without incurring more expenses in pulling the car out of the lake and filming it again, plus they were probably fighting to get the scene done before they lost the light.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
The cameraman was in the rear seat when the car went into the lake. I remember seeing the rear door open so the cameraman can escape.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Definitely! The most awkward moment, in my opinion, being the attempt to reclaim the gift basket. This was on my mind mostly because Entertainment Weekly paired their cover story on the show with a list of awkward comedy moments.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
another good episode.

My favorite part is Creed coloring his hair and saying he turns 30 in November.

I also laughed at the part when Michael told Dwight about fixing the dent where he hit Meredith.

I agree about the Dwight and Angelia scenes. It seems like it slows down the comedic pace.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Ha! Didn't make that connection. I think I was concentrating on the reuse of the Ben Kingsley photo, which I was amused to note Pam pointed out.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Great episode although I agree with Jose that the first half hour was much better than the second in terms of sheer laughs. Overall I enjoyed this one more than the season premiere and the season is definitely off to a good start. The only thing I'm really not liking so far is the whole Dwight/Angela angle. I hope they shift the focus away from that soon as it's not really a lot of fun to watch. Dwight was responsible for some of the greatest moments in this show's history so I really hope they get his character back on track.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to mention my favorite moment of last week's episode: the fact that Michael actually had a list of phrases he could follow up with "That's what she said". I especially loved Pam reading #3 on the list: "Put your mouth on it". :D

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
The Office is by far still the best show.

Are they going to keep the show an hour each week?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson

I sure hope not (unless it's two separate half hour episodes).

I thought the funniest line from this past week was when Andy said (something like), "Now that Jim is with Pam, that means I'm now the best looking available bachelor in the office." With this big grin on his face. It took me a few seconds to realize how funny that is (once I realized who the available women in the office are.) It's subtle humor like that that makes the show so great.

lohanfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jill

You need to check out the English version of the Office...the English of Michael is much, much more annoying. Like the most cringe worthy character on tv ever.

All i have to say is Creed....Later Skater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks