What's new

The O.C. - ongoing thread (2 Viewers)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Anyone going to watch this new Drama/Soap on Fox tonight?
It's getting really favorable reviews and you get lots of Eye candy too.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
How many times can they remake a Dawson's creek type show. I get tired of these shows that portray the college/teenage life. Haven't any of these people actually been to college? I know they have all been teenagers, so why are they all so wrong and over the top silly.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The reviews Ive seen say its a cut above those shows with well written characters and interesting stories.
Doug Liman of GO amd Swingers is Executive Producer.

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
Jane Espenson worked on this show before going to Gilmore Girls. That's enough for me to give it a try.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Jeez, I know I can empathize with a bunch of rich, beautiful punks with too much time/money on their hands.

This doesn't even look REMOTELY good. I'll pass for the aformentioned reasons.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Jeez, I know I can empathize with a bunch of rich, beautiful punks with too much time/money on their hands.
Personally, I don't only watch TV to relate to the characters portrayed. I certainly don't empathize with the impossibly well-off people on "Friends" or the magically enhanced people on "Buffy" or the fast-talking bumpkins on "Gilmore Girls" or the constantly stressed folks on "24" or the bunch of rich, beautiful punks with to much time/money on their hands on "90210".

The last one, and my enjoyment of it, brings me to think I might as well give "The OC" a chance. I watched it tonight, thought it was decent and see myself interested enough to follow it during its fuirst month or so and likely enjoying it even more for its pure escapist night-time soap opeara-ishness.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I liked it. Though i suffered from horrible geographic confusion. What city was that opening in? I wasn't aware there was a Newport in California, so I kept thinking Road Island and wondering if there was a different Orange COunty there.

It's been overadvertised. The passing interest I had has been killed by endless ads.
Better than Fox does for most of their shows, which is stop advertising them before they start.

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator

The rich neighborhood is Newport Beach, CA, which is in Orange County. This is just south of LA and is one of the wealthier areas in Southern California.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
So the openign is in LA? Also, was it just me or did his mom's house seem unrealistic for a poor LA resident?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
They mentioned that he's from Chino, which is to the northeast of Newport Beach (not much to the southwest...) just inside neighboring San Bernardino County. When I first heard it, I thought of Chico, which didn't make much sense because that's a long commute.

I just checked the ReplayTV, and the car crash is at the Chino Dept. of Power and Light, so that's definitely where that was supposed to be.

How was the house unrealistic? It didn't seem off to me.

I liked the show, but I'm a Mischa Barton fan. First saw her in Once&Again, and caught her guest spot on Fastlane last season. She has a distinctive voice. And she's actually the right age for the part, unlike most actors playing teenagers.

//Ken

Raymond G

Agent
I thought the show was pretty good. But if this is how the kids act there, no wonder California is so screwed up. :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The house seemed rather nice for a supposedly poor person. In Cedar Rapids, where property values are much lower, it would be pushing it.

I liked the show, btu I think they could have made it much easier on people like myself who have never been farther west than Denver just by putting location subtitles or something on it.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I Liked it, Peter Gallagher seemed like a good fit to lead the cast and they assembled a pretty solid group of actors.

Any show that ends with a Joseph Arthur song is OK with me :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yep, not a bad start for a pilot. This is why I think it's important to actually watch something before passing judgment from the "promotional bits".

Ryan does have that teen Russell Crowe thing going for him, but as a character, they've established he's got smarts, and isn't selfish, but was stuck in a bad situation. Sometimes it just take another person to offer a helping hand to help another person tap into their potential.

I'll be watching future episodes (and pray it doesn't veer into the 90210 zip code...)

Re: Ryan's mother's house - that was probably a rental.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I get tired of these shows that portray the college/teenage life. Haven't any of these people actually been to college? I know they have all been teenagers, so why are they all so wrong and over the top silly.
This is a nighttime tv soap on fox. Its supposed to be like this. That's what makes it entertaining. I liked it. Well except for the extremely cheesy line during the fight, something about this is how they do it in the OC bitch, welcome to orange county. No one talks like that, not even in tv land. Something simpler should have been said, maybe like welcome to the neighborhood or something basic.

I need new stupid nighttime teen soaps to fill in the slots that buffy and dawson are no longer in. So I welcome new shows. You all see the commercial for the bruckheimer produced one on fox also, called Skin?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I didnt watch it until last night because I was out Tuesday but I actually thought it was a good first episode. Remember this is just a setup for the rest of the show but I'll tune in again. Sure they're stereotypes but everyone starts out a sterotype.
I liked the main kid and I especially liked the nerd type boy. I am anxious to see where they go with him.

There are people like the ones portrayed in the show. We have rich suburb neighborhoods around us (in Ca.) and you'd be surprised at how kids are with there cars bought by Mommy and Daddy and there designer clothes.
Maybe not to the extreme that it portrayed in the show but not totally unrealistic.
What was interesting is not everyone was talking on Cell phones all the time.

We need some new Soapy Escapist Fare to fill the shoes of Dawson, Melrose, Felicity and 90210 and I think this will do just nicely.

I dont really think they are going for a Boomtown/WestWing type of Drama anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks