What's new

The next Star Wars movie will be influenced by this... (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Without having actually become a parent, my answers can opnly be hypothetical, but if you want to hear them:

-Being violent towards another child without provocation. I'm certainly not going to punish my child for giving a bully a black eye. I would explain to him/her that while I understand the need to use violence for self-defense, it's not something to be proud of, or to make a habit of.
-Stealing.
-Damaging others' property.

How would you deal with those specific scenarios?

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
What I would do in the case of stealing or damaging ones property is make them work (yard-work, chores, etc..) directly for the people who's property they stole or damaged. This amount of work would be based on what the owner of said property felt was adequate. (This would be determined before any work was done.) I would pay for the property loss in advance but my child would work it off.

As for hitting a child because it hit another... aren't you just becoming the bigger bully?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I find it truly amazing that people will take every opprotunity to hijack a light hearted thread and turn it into a heated discussion. This thread was supposed to be just for a good laugh. So many post like this in HTF lately have been turned into arguments.

People have different opinions. It truly amazes me, that just because your opinion is different than mine, I am wrong, or and abuser, or a monster. Just because I don't see things your way, I must be wrong. I respect your opinion on not spanking, but nothing will make me change mine. And don't try to tell me its wrong.:frowning:

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I respect your opinion on not spanking, but nothing will make me change mine. And don't try to tell me its wrong.
That's why it's your opinion! What I don't understand is how someone can walk through life and refuse to "change their mind". If I am presented with information that makes sense to me and helps me to look at things in a different, more positive light... I'll be more than happy to change my mind. That's my opinion.

Do I think that you are a monster? NO!

Maybe I should start up a new thread even though this one was taken over long before I got involved.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
In my experience with bullies, and watching other people deal with it, and my own learning as I got older, developing and learning self-defense skills is essential. Not to destroy the bully, but to prevent harm to oneself. There is no dishonor in protecting oneself from bullies. I didn't learn how/why/when to protect myself until I got older, and middle school had it's bad moments. Learning to laugh at yourself while being embarrased is a mark of maturity, but defending yourself physically when physically threatened is different.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I don't know about the US, but right now in Canada, there are many law-makers looking at making spanking illegal.

THIS I have a *HUGE* problem with. Yes, there can be a fine line between a swat to the rump and abuse. HOWEVER... it is MY choice how to discipline my children. Not the governments. They are speaking of designating any form of "spanking" as abuse.

*cough*BS*cough

My parents were incredibly loving and giving, and I'm very lucky to have had them as parents. I was spanked twice in my life. Did I deserve it? Yup. Was it abuse? Nope. Did I learn something from it? Yup.

I'm not saying that a swat/spank is the solution to EVERYTHING. Not at all. But sometimes, it might just be what the situation needs.

And as Ricardo stated, I doubt I would ever spank my kids... but I don't rule it out either. All kids are different... what works with one may not work with another.

My main issue is with this entire PC-world we live in. I do not like law-makers telling me what I can and cannot do in my own home with my own children.

On another note... MAN, did THIS thread get side-tracked.

Personally, I think Gyslan (or however his name is spelt) has gotten a shoddy deal. He's laughed at and ridiculed all over the PLANET. I remember what it was like to be an insecure 15-year-old. How do you recover from that?

I'm not certain I like the statements that have been made about how he is a brat and such for this lawsuit business. That is his PARENTS call. Not his. And whether it smacks of revenge or not, it's probably the only avenue open to them. Goodness knows they won't be able to stop the videos from appearing on the 'net.

It's easy for us, as observers, to say that he should have taken advantage of his instant-celebrity status. I'm in my 30's. I thought the videos were funny too. Especially the re-edited ones. But when I think back to the geeky, insecure kid that I was in my early teens, I can't imagine the humiliation... I just can't. Being ridiculed by all your friends is one thing, or even the whole school. But when a goodly percentage of the population of the WWW is sitting there making cruel comments... man. I can see why therapy might be needed. Instant-celebrity? Somehow, I doubt HE sees it that way...

Just my two cents...on BOTH issues... ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Open can of worms: OK, what would be your reasons for hitting your child?
c'mon now michael....that's just being silly. :) there is a huge difference between spanking your child and hitting them.

it is *never* okay to hit your child, but spanking them may (or may not) serve a purpose.

we're just gonna agree to disagree here.

at this point, i'd like to say it was an enjoyable debate...but i'll click the unsubscribe button now.

see you all in the next thread. :)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
we're just gonna agree to disagree here.
That's it! You and me... behind the swing-set after school! I'm going to kick your.... :D

Just kidding of course. ;) We can always agree to disagree. FWIW, I don't think anyone who has participated in this discussion will necessarily end up being horrible parents. The fact that you all care enough to debate how you choose to raise your children is good enough for me.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I had lots of problems -- lots of problems with bullies when I was younger, because I was a nerd and didn't have many friends. But I think that's all part of growing up, especially for the gifted kids. I turned out all right. T

There are residual effects, like, I am really paranoid about being talked to a certain way, or preyed upon by certain types of people who remind me of old bullies I dealt with. There are times when I'm in a confrontation with someone who is being predatory and I regress back to my younger self, and I just lock up, and my first instinct is to get as violent as possible. It's hard to control that impulse.

This Star Wars kid, I don't think he's doing through anything more embarassing than what a lot of kids go through. Having your dirty laundry aired to millions of people, believe it or not, isn't much different to a kid than being humiliated in front of an entire school (and i've been there repeatedly). To many kids, that's their world. Whether it's one school or schools across the nation, the feeling is the same.

I feel sorry for him, but I also think he needs to find some strength and take advantage of the situation. When you start laughing with your 'tormentors' you might be surprised at how they'll start to relate to you quicker.
Yes, he's being laughed at, but he's also a minor celebrity.

I am particularly sensitive to this kid's plight, but this lawsuit business needs to stop. Lucas needs to get a clue and give him a cameo in Episode 3, and we all need to move on and raise our children the best we can.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Frankly I think Lucas SHOULD be giving the best and/or most infamous fanfilm makers Episode 3 cameos. They certainly have been instrumental in keeping SW fresh.

Heck, we made our own Fanfilm and released it the same day as Episode 1, and one of the first films The Force.net hosted It was great fun. I just wish that we'd had some more advanced tech. Maybe someday we'll go back and do a "Special Edition"

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I've said all I need to say. With online and deadtree references too! I'd prefer to stick with the facts and not stoop to over-the-top assumptions about one's parenting behavior (like I said, every kid is different -- just ask any parent with more than one kid -- and I've got studies involving thousands of parents to back me up too! Of course everyone ignores studies but I tried. :D). Oh and Michael, I already answered your question before you asked it. :)

Has Lucas already made use of Star Wars fans in Episodes 1 & 2? Anything similar to the fan credits at the ends of FOTR and TTT?

I could almost see a cameo in episode 3 of a bumbling and awkward Jedi...just like those forgetful-and-clumsy-but-well-meaning wizards you read about in some fantasy novels. I mean, not ALL Jedi should be competent bad-asses with frown-lines!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Why would this kid even want to be in Episode 3? He didn't do anything Star Wars related.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hey Jeff... which fanflick was yours? I'm very curious now! :D

Why would this kid even want to be in Episode 3? He didn't do anything Star Wars related.
Gotta agree with MickeS, sorta. I've said it before, but the ORIGINAL film showed the kid zipping around with the golf-ball retriever. I'm still unconvinced that he was making "lightsaber" sounds, as opposed to a generic weapon-clash/martial art sound. He may have just been trying to do a quarterstaff routine. I think it's the SW-community that has turned him into "StarWars Kid".

That all being said, I *did* say I SORT OF agree with MickeS. Why sorta? Because who WOULDN'T wanna be in Episode 3? ;)

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I'm getting in on this late, but here we go.

Mike, have you ever been systematically bullied? For a period of more than a year?

On spanking: I tried that with my first child. I stopped when I noticed that all it taught her was that hitting her younger sister was an acceptable method of behaviorial modification. Now we use other methods.

On martial arts training: start the kid young. Five or so. If you wait until bullying's a problem, the kid's just going to get that much more laughed at. "Hey, karate kid, show us your moves."

On violence; of course violence solves problems. It just might not provide the optimum solution. But lets face it, walking away doesn't work; you just get hit in the back. Appealing to their better natures doesn't work; if they had better natures, they'd not be bullies. Laughing with them only teaches you that your self-worth is less important than the amusement of others, and also doesn't work. And schools tend to have a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy that disturbs me on a deep level.

The Star Wars Kid probably *is* psychologically damaged for life. If you can't understand that, it's because you've never been in that situation.

Telling these kids to 'take it,' or 'deal with it themselves,' is exactly what leads to school shootings and deaths; after all the Gods made us all, but guns make us all equal. And if you're told to 'deal' with five or six jocks beating you up daily, that's pretty much the only way to do it.

"Don't lower yourself to their level." The counter-statement to that is 'the aggressor makes the rules, and if you're playing by their rules, you lose."

"Violence begets violence." Yes, and peace begets slavery.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Shayne, if you read through the thread you'll see that I've come across bullies. I always confronted the issue with my voice rather than my fists, I did it immediately and it never lasted long after that.

I believe that most people who got bullied (for long periods of time) did nothing but bottle it all up inside until they couldn't take it anymore. One day they snapped! And ended up solving the problem in a fit of rage. I never let it get that far. To be fair, I haven't walked in their shoes so who knows how I would have dealt with it.

On spanking, good for you! It's nice to hear from someone with experience who took the time to evaluate the situation and adapt accordingly.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Huh? Who? What? Where? When? Why? How?

I'm confussed...Is there going to be a Child Spanking scene in the new Star Wars movie? :confused:

:D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm...a child spanking scene would be a great vehicle for showing how EVIL the Sith are! Much more dramatic than a scene of blowing up a planet with the loss of billions of lives! Been there, done that.

Anakin gets spanked = a genocidal maniac who kills kittens with his dark force powers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks