What's new

The next Sci-Fi saga (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
The adaptation required Rogers to pull out pieces of action from a largely theoretical work. "Isaac Asimov is a real intellectual, so chapters would start with 'That was a thrilling escape from the space pirates, wasn't it? Yes, it was. Now about economics.' As a writer, I need the space pirates. I just can't have the economics discussion here. So there was a lot of trying to stay in the spirit of Asimov [while] at the same time expanding the text."
Sounds a bit like adapting Tolkien ;)

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
I have always wanted to see a film series version of 'MACROSS'
As soon as I win the lottery I am buying the movie rights to this! I know this story inside and out and I am dying to adapt this to the big screen. If Macross is ever made, it should be made by a real fan of the series who will treat it and the characters with utmost respect.

In my opinion, this series has absolutely the best Big Screen/Box Office potential of all the other things listed in this thread.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to second Max's suggestion for Iain M. Banks' Consider Phlebas. The "Culture" novels are some of the best SF books in recent decades. While there are several (6 or 7 now?), their Hollywood provenance is probably not high as they are essentially standalone books and not a series, and quite different from each other. I think Excession and The Player of Games would be great romps on film, though.
Another couple of terrific space operas would be Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness In the Sky, which suffer (from a Hollywood perspective) from a similar problem as Banks in being set in the same universe but totally different times, places and characters.
And to stray into fantasy, I'd really love to see some of Glen Cook's work esp. the first few Black Company books.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I find the Pern books are a tad overrated...at times they feel too cold and dettached, however, it would would make for magnificent cinema.

Iron Man isn't really science-fantastic, at least in comparison to other Stan Lee creations. Of course, taht is until they bring in his rogue's gallery, which is one of the most pathetic attempts at countering in comics. (Ok, the perfect match for someone in a high-tech suit of armor is a chinese guy with magic rings? Knight vs Evil Wizard allegories aside.). Iron Man would best be left as an espeionage thriller, with colorful gladiators blasting each other out of the sky. Iron Man is not really a vigilante. The public persona of the character is as a well-equipped rent-a-cop. Tony Stark is reknown and prolific inventor and manufactuer of world-class state of the art weaponry. This makes him an ideal target of every criminal act conveiable aside from flashing. Iron Man (Who is Stark himself) serves to guard Stark's person and interests. And as a good-will gesture, he will often accompany the miltary in its endeavors.

Macross woud make an excellent vessel for special effects technology, display rousing escapism, and provide a timely social commentary. The ensemble cast makes for a human drama that would appeal to all ages and genders. The entire saga could be divided up into three coherent entries for a trilogy, and each movie can provide satisfactory closure towards the end. I was a big fan of the Robtech growing up, and while the purist aspect of me is wary, it's just too hard a propery to screw up.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'd like to see Donaldson's other novel series - The Gap books. Good mix of hardcore SF, space opera, political intrigue with some truly memorable characters.

While we're throwing in some fantasy ones I'd also love to see Stephen King's The Gunslinger/Dark Tower series of books brought to the screen. Too bad Eastwood is too old - he'd be the perfect Roland.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I'd personally love to see Kin Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy adapted onto the big screen. I heard it was optioned out by James Cameron to be made into a TV miniseries (which wouldn't work, IMHO), but I haven't heard anything about it recently.
In the meantime, I'm getting pumped for Children Of Dune this Sunday. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would like to see Alfred Bester's "The Demolished Man". It would be interesting to see if they would badly screw it up.

I know that this series of books isn't "heavyweight" SF but it would be interesting to see if they could be successfully turned into good movies. They contain a bit of Science Fiction and some wry humour. If people haven't guessed already, I'm speaking of Harry Harrison's "The Stainless Steel Rat" series.

I wouldn't mind seeing an adaptation of Frederik Pohl's "The Cool War". I find the premise in that book very interesting. In years to come it may be less fiction and more fact.

Rudy Rucker's "Moldies and Meatbops" would be another interesting adaptation, but I highly doubt it could be pulled off.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
A lot of great sci-fi novels are crying out for intelligent screen treatment. Many of HG Wells' novels ( especially War of the Worlds & Food of the Gods ) would make superb movies if done right. I hear that there's a 'War of the Worlds' project already in pre production - I can only hope for a 'true' adaptation in the proper 1890s timeframe.

Michael Moorcock's 'The Ice Schooner' would be great too - an epic story set during a future ice age. 'Behold the Man' would be interesting too, although I doubt any major studio would take it on considering the controversial subject matter.

George Stewart's 'Earth Abides' could be fantastic if done right, as would Richard Matheson's 'I Am Legend'.

And what about Edgar Rice Burroughs? His stuff may be a bit on the pulpy side ( and more fantasy than sci-fi ) but the cinematic potential is immense.

John Wyndham's 'Day of the Triffids' and 'The Chrysalids'... JG Ballard's 'The Drowned World' or 'The Crystal World'... Keith Robert's 'Pavane'... Philip K Dick's 'The Man in the High Castle'.... list is endless.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
btw, did anyone notice that Moorcock's Elric series just got optioned? That would be a neat trick if they actually adapted it without totally compromising it :)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I'd love to see William Gibson's cyberpunk trilogy done right. Not crap like Johnny Mnemonic, but done by someone with a clue. Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive.

I'd also like to see Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash made into a film. But that's not a series or a trilogy.

And on the fantasy front, I'd trade a kidney to see Clive Barker's Imajica turned into a film. It's such a massive, encompassing book that it would need to be separated into two or three films to do it justice.

Out of those, the Gibson books are the ones, to me, that are screaming to be made into films. Neuromancer, to me, is like a 20th century 20,000 Leagues in the way that Jules Verne could practically see into the future of what the world was going to become. We're heading directly down the path to the world Gibson laid out in his books, and in my opinion that's not a good thing.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'd like Stephen Baxter's The Time Ships. This would need to be preceded by a good adaptation of The Time Machine though.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see something completely new and original. Like the first Star Wars was, to an extent.

Failing that, I'd love to see David Wingrove's Myst trilogy of novels brought to the screen; particularly Book of Atrus or Book of Ti'ana. If done with the proper budget they would have visuals on a scale never before attempted for the big screen. Scifi Channel has an option on the brand, and plans to make a miniseries bridging the first novel to the starting point of the original Myst game. I'm very interested in that, but it seems to be in development hell.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Could they do Stranger in a Strange Land while removing the rampant misogyny in it? Hmmm...Hanks was attached to this (in theory) back when he was a young man. I remember hearing this when I was in school in the 80's! He could play Jubal, now, not Smith. Billy Crudup as Smith. Richard Harris would have been a great Jubal, dammit.

Phil

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
The series of books I most want to see made into movies (but would probably never happen) are:

1) David Zindell's standalone _Neverness_ and _Requiem for Homo Sapiens_ Trilogy

2) Stephen R. Donaldson's _Gap_ quintet

I think the first is too obscure and too much hard sf for the big screen these days (although I've rarely seen such great world-building).

Michael

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Concerning "Ender's Game", there is a story at frescopictures.com that confirms that Warner Bros is the studio and Wolfgang Petersen will be the director. The story is over a year old, but it does confirm that a movie is in the works.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Fans have been talking for some time about a future Dragonlance movie/television series as well as other series of my works. While I know that TSR/Wizards of the Coast is actively pursuing media licenses for Dragonlance, I do not at this time know anything specific about any actual plans to produce a film. Any film or television projects concerning our works will be updated in the newsletter ... please look there for the latest.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I would love to see a high-quality ongoing television series production adapting Asimov's various ROBOT stories, or even new stories inhabiting the same world. Anything from the I, Robot tales (doubtful, because of the upcoming Proyas film) all the way to the adventures of Olivaw and Bailey.
Despite the SF nature of the stories, most of Asimov's robot tales were basically high-tech philosophical mysteries. Almost like CSI with positronic brains. This could make for some great television, if someone had the balls and a bag full of weenies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks