What's new

The newest annoyance in children's footwear (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Mark, I can't believe all the crap you are taking on this thread. I am with you 100%.
Amen. That's the crux of the matter. Like you, I was taught this basic value at a young age. And I see the evidence of the lack of same all over. I really do believe that, in the areas of respect for others and common courtesy, society is going backwards. It saddens me.

Keep on fighting the good fight, brother.

Matt_Vaudrin

Stunt Coordinator
I know bringing up old topics is considered taboo on message boards, but I wanted to respond to this topic again.

I was in a store (Fleet Farm, which is kind of a cross between Home Depot and Kmart for those that don't have them), and was nearly hit by 2 kids wearing shoes with wheels.

They come zipping around the corner and almost slam right into me, if I hadn't moved fast enough they would have hit me.

A few minutes later I'm walking down an aisle and hear them coming, so I blocked the path so they'd have to slow down and walk, LOL.

Then i was out in the main/front area of the store, where the checkouts are, and they were pretty much racing back and forth, weaving around people. Several employees were standing there just watching them and laughing.

I left the stuff i had planned on buying and decided to take my business somewhere else.

Colton

Supporting Actor

I agree. Store policies don't get changed until enough people complain. I guess they are just waiting for a huge lawsuit to happen until they wise up.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, and unfortunately, it will probably be the parent who sues the store for their kid wheeling into something and getting hurt. :rolleyes

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Did you find their parents and tell them? I know my sister would absolutely kill her kids if she found them using Heelys indoors (either the house or a store). Often times she has told them to take the wheels out before she leaves and then double checks the little brats before they exit the car. She's actually caught them with the wheels in their pockets before. That got a trip all the way home and no purchase of what they were going to get at the store.

Then again, my sister actually believes in being a parent to her kids, instead of a friend.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The roller shoes are more likely to be annoying because they are "disguised" as regular shoes. A child wearing roller skates (or riding a scooter, or bouncing on bouncy shoes) is in a "visible state of play". You know to be careful around them. But you never know when a kid is going to be walking normally then ZOOM past you in a rush.

Would a kid be allowed to roll around in regular roller skates in a Target? Not if they were disrupting customers. And you can hear them coming usually. But parents should be given the chance to teach their children responsible usage of these toys. It's really not much different than a kid who goes running at full speed around a grocery store - the speed changes are just more unexpected, to the children and to people around them.

I'm surprised more kids don't fall backward on the things. They are surprisingly adept on these things. Mark, don't knock it till you try it! :)

And while we're at it, let's talk about those LED shoes... annoyance or nighttime safety tool? :)

Matt_Vaudrin

Stunt Coordinator
I did tell one employee, I didn't care to find the manager at the moment.

Actually their dad (I'm assuming it was their dad) was standing there with the employees that were watching them go back and forth.

Maybe they were telling him to make them stop, I really don't know, but it didn't look that way.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I could care less if they used them in their own homes or driveways. The thing that annoys me is why they use them in the stores. It is clearly obvious that the parents aren't teaching the children where and when they are appropriate to be used. A store, restaurant, or any other public area, is not appropriate usage.

That's all I'm asking. Don't use them around others. Just as I would expect someone to not rollerblade, bicycle, or skateboard in a restuarant or store.

As you mentioned, the problem is that the kids have access to them at any time. Knowing this, they need to be taught that just because you can use them everywhere, doesn't mean you should use them everywhere. They need to know that stores are not the place to be using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks