What's new

The New World (2005) (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Yeah, I was just about to say that before I read Thi's post...:)

Just noticed that after Amazon shipped the score, it went up $2 on their site. Weird.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Well, I was really looking forward to seeing this but:

The cinematography is great, the sets are well built, and I enjoyed the first 45 minutes of the film but:

After that it became too repetitive and uninteresting.

The music is by James Horner, so the score sounds the same as Braveheart.

It would be more interesting to take a bunch of unrelated still photos and play music over them.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Considering almost NONE of Horner's music is in the film, you obviously put no thought into that remark, and gave a generalized response.

I bet you'd say "Apocalypto" sounds like Braveheart just because Horner did that one as well. Or "The Chumscrubber", or....get it?

Joe D

Supporting Actor

The music had several phrases of notes (repeated through the film) that were EXACTLY the same as Braveheart. In terms of what is and what is not Horner's music, I have no idea. I don't plan on watching this again to determine exactly where the phrases occur in the film.

I haven't watched Apocalypto to make that comment, but Horner is well known for putting out scores that sound similar to one another. This one just happened to have several moments that were VERY braveheart'ish.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the film, Joe D.

I don't care for Horner (in fact, I normally loathe him, and felt deeply relieved when Malick threw out his TNW score), but I must say that both his efforts for Gibson are excellent and very atypical of his normally grating work. The Apocalypto score in particular is quite unique. Considering New World is scored almost exclusively with Mozart and Brahms, I would be hard-pressed to say it resembled anything in Braveheart, although there is one chord progression that is reminiscent of Zimmer's work in Thin Red Line.

I really pity anyone who missed this in theatres.

Regards,
Nathan

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The only 'Braveheart'-type music there is wasn't heard in the film at all, but is on the CD in a cue called "Winter - Battle". What is heard in the film are pieces of a cue called "Journey Upriver" repeated many times, and "Pocahontas and Smith", which ironically contains the film's theme that Malick wanted removed (what sense does that make? Having the theme music removed, then replace the score only to have that very theme stuck in the final film after all...)

The one score that this resembles (in style) is "The Missing".

In an interview, the one thing that really bothered Horner wasn't that his score was replaced, but what music replaced it - he felt that Wagner was way too heavy and inappropriate for this kind of film, which explains why his own score is the opposite - VERY delicate and soothing.

I've read too many comments on how overbearing the score was, but it wasn't score at all.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It's a theater in Hollywood. It was the one that had the limited engagment of the director's cut.

~T

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Even though I missed the Arclight screening, living in DC does have it's perks. There are having a year long celebration in Jamestown this year, celebrating 400 years since America effectively began. It's only about 2 hours away, so I am planning on an overnight trip to see the place. Fortunately, they shot the film quite close to actual Jamestown, and I hope to see some of the locations as well. I was hoping some people here were familiar with Jamestown and could offer advice. My intention is to go down in May with my family and my best friend and his wife. Jamestown itself has a very nice website (with a whole section for The New World) that gives a lot of good info. I was wondering if there were any personal anecdotes.

Every day I hope for this to hit high def :) Every day :)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I want to revisit this movie. There are 3 versions. A 150 minute First Cut, 135 minutes Theatrical and an extended cut running at 172 min

What are your thoughts, which one is your favorite and why?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Everything I've read recommends the extended cut. I picked this up as a blind buy last week during the Criterion sale. Looking forward to watching it.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't know which version I saw initially but I remember the story being very disjointed. There were long time jumps between events and it was not possible/easy to follow the story. You had to guess what had happened.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I saw the movie at the movies when it first came out. Thought was a beautiful well told and easy to follow story.

Really don't think there was too much that one needed to figure out.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
But do you confirm big abrupt time jumps in the movie with no explanation?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Maybe that's why you need to see the extended cut Sam.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm pretty sure this is the first time the longest cut is available.

Criterion's upcoming release of The New World contains three very different versions of the film: a newly remastered Extended Cut which is approximately 172 minutes long, First Cut which is approximately 150 minutes long, and Theatrical Cut which is approximately 136 minutes long. There are substantial differences between the three, with the Extended Cut expanding various sequences with brand new footage. The Extended Cut was supervised by director Malick and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The previous bluray was the the 172 min version but some copies of the dvd included
a digital copy that apparently was intended to be the same cut but it wasn't, it was the 150 min first version before Malick cut it to 135 minutes.

So all three version have been released just not officially.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The question still stands. People who saw the theatrical cut, weren't you bothered by the disjointed timeline? Do you confirm that big abrupt time jumps in the movie existed or I just didn't understand. For example you see one shot and immediately the next sequence looks like it's several months, maybe years in the future with no text or nothing to hint the passage of time with key members of the cast disappearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks