What's new

The New Hollywood Box Set from Sony (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I spoke to someone at Sony, and thankfully, they have prevailed upon Rafelson to remaster HEAD in 16x9 widescreen. Not sure if it will be 1.66 or 1.85 or perhaps even a compromise 1.77, but it's still good news. Can't wait to buy this set!

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Excellent!
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck

I spoke to someone at Sony, and thankfully, they have prevailed upon Rafelson to remaster HEAD in 16x9 widescreen. Not sure if it will be 1.66 or 1.85 or perhaps even a compromise 1.77, but it's still good news. Can't wait to buy this set!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

I'd bet they will be using the transfer shown on TCM last year. It looked pretty good!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Has this box set been postponed and if so, until when and why??

It's supposed to be coming out in 4 weeks but none of the online retailers even have cover art work listed yet and I've seen very little promotion from Sony. This is among my most anticipated sets of the year and I can't wait to have it in my hands!

What's the deal with the release date and when can we expect to see a press release with full specs and artwork?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It was mentioned in a different thread that it's still in development and defiintely "On the Way".

I don't remember which thread, but I think it was the thread on "Bad Girls of Film Noir"

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
The Nuart in West L.A. is showing a Digitally restored for its 40th Anniversary print of Five Easy Pieces begining Friday. I'm wondering if it will be released on Blu ray with a new SE and if Sony is holding off to include it in this set.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Bradley-E

The Nuart in West L.A. is showing a Digitally restored for its 40th Anniversary print of Five Easy Pieces begining Friday. I'm wondering if it will be released on Blu ray with a new SE and if Sony is holding off to include it in this set.

There's a beautiful-looking scene from it in the trailer section of the "Bad Girls of Film Noir" box sets... I would like to see this restored print in its entirety.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by WadeM

There's a beautiful-looking scene from it in the trailer section of the "Bad Girls of Film Noir" box sets... I would like to see this restored print in its entirety.
Yeah, but ideally this new Hollywood box should be released on Blu-ray as well as DVD! If it is released on Blu-ray I'll buy it immediately. But I don't want to be caught out buying the DVD set, then the films get released on Blu-ray a year later.

Also, the box should really include Taxi Driver instead of The Last Picture Show which was already reissued as part of the Bogdanovich set with Nickelodeon!

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by BethHarrison

Yeah, but ideally this new Hollywood box should be released on Blu-ray as well as DVD! If it is released on Blu-ray I'll buy it immediately. But I don't want to be caught out buying the DVD set, then the films get released on Blu-ray a year later.

Also, the box should really include Taxi Driver instead of The Last Picture Show which was already reissued as part of the Bogdanovich set with Nickelodeon!
Yes, Taxi Driver and SE of Shampoo.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

Yes, but that defeats the whole focus of the set. Every one of the films in the "New Hollywood" box is from the BBS Productions family - Bert Schneider, Bob Rafelson, etc - it's every one of the films they had a hand in getting made. So the theme is to gather them all together, not necessarily to focus on all the "New Hollywood" directors that ever made a film for Columbia. I don't like the multiple dips on EASY RIDER and LAST PICTURE SHOW, but by including rarities like DRIVE HE SAID and A SAFE PLACE, it puts them in a new light and you can see the whole zeitgeist of that collective at that studio at that time.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
That's a comendable aim, but Sony should've just released Nickelodeon on its own and then waited until this box to release The Last Picture Show (with perhaps an individual release to replace the old version too). It's just annoying re-buying films I already own, and in this case have a film I have already bought twice.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

That's a comendable aim, but Sony should've just released Nickelodeon on its own and then waited until this box to release The Last Picture Show (with perhaps an individual release to replace the old version too). It's just annoying re-buying films I already own, and in this case have a film I have already bought twice.

I am with you on this. I already have Easy Rider as standard and Blu-ray. Not sure I want it a third time along with a third Last Picture Show. I also have Five Easy Pieces and Head, but would not mind an a new transfer on those and I want Drive, He Said so this will be a buy for me when it happens.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Hopefully the delay is because of the recent Five Easy Pieces 40th Aniversary Print this is being shown in revivals now, and hopefully some Blu rays will come out at the same time. Personally, I would rather not buy another DVD of Last Picture Show and would love to have it and Five Easy Pieces on Blu ray instead. If they look as good as Easy Rider on Blu ray I'd be happy. The remaining I would Netflix for the time being.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

Yes, but that defeats the whole focus of the set. Every one of the films in the "New Hollywood" box is from the BBS Productions family - Bert Schneider, Bob Rafelson, etc - it's every one of the films they had a hand in getting made. So the theme is to gather them all together, not necessarily to focus on all the "New Hollywood" directors that ever made a film for Columbia. I don't like the multiple dips on EASY RIDER and LAST PICTURE SHOW, but by including rarities like DRIVE HE SAID and A SAFE PLACE, it puts them in a new light and you can see the whole zeitgeist of that collective at that studio at that time.

Yes, Good Point.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
November 23:

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/769-america-lost-and-found-the-bbs-story

Disc Features Head •New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition) •Audio commentary featuring Monkees Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork •New video interview with director Bob Rafelson •New documentary about BBS, featuring critic David Thomson and historian Douglas Brinkley •More!

Easy Rider •New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition) •Audio commentary featuring director Dennis Hopper •Easy Rider: Shaking the Cage, a 1999 documentary featuring behind-the-scenes footage •Footage of Hopper and star Peter Fonda at Cannes in 1969 •New video interview with BBS’s Steve Blauner •More!

Five Easy Pieces •New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition) •Audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson and interior designer Toby Rafelson •Soul Searching in Five Easy Pieces, a 2009 video piece in which Rafelson discusses the film •BBStory, a 2009 documentary •Excerpts from an audio recording of Rafelson at the American Film Institute in 1976

Drive, He Said •New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition) •A Cautionary Tale of Campus Revolution and Sexual Freedom, a 2009 video piece in which director Jack Nicholson discusses the experience of making this film •Theatrical trailer •More!

A Safe Place •New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition) •Audio commentary featuring director Henry Jaglom •Henry Jaglom Finds “A Safe Place,” a 2009 video piece in which the director discusses the film •Notes on the New York Film Festival, a 1971 video piece featuring an interview conducted by critic Molly Haskell with directors Peter Bogdanovich and Jaglom about their films

The Last Picture Show and A Safe Place •Deleted scene and screen tests •Theatrical trailer The Last Picture Show •New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition) •Two audio commentaries, one featuring director Peter Bogdanovich and the other featuring Bogdanovich and actors Cybill Shepherd, Randy Quaid, Cloris Leachman, and Frank Marshall •Picture This, a 1990 documentary by George Hickenlooper •“The Last Picture Show”: A Look Back, an hour-long 1999 documentary •2009 interview with Bogdanovich •Screen tests and location footage •Theatrical trailers and more!

The King of Marvin Gardens •New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition) •Selected-scene audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson •Reflections of a Philosopher King, a 2009 documentary about the making of the film •Afterthoughts, a short 2002 documentary about the film, produced by Rafelson •Theatrical trailer

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Fantastic - if only more films from this time period were given this much respect!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Now I am really excited about this set. Since the titles I own now are SDVD, I am certainly going the Blu-ray way on this. The quality and work that Criterion will put in and the materials that Sony will give them will be the best, I am sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks