What's new

The New Hollywood Box Set from Sony (1 Viewer)

WadeM

Supporting Actor
FINALLY, a new version of Head!! Along with: Drive, He Said / Five Easy Pieces / The King of Marvin Gardens / Last Picture Show / A Safe Place / Easy Rider

http://www.movie-list.com/onvideo/shop.php?c=01&n=130&i=B0024FAG7G&x=The_New_Hollywood_Box_Set_Drive_He_Said_Five_Eas y_Pieces_The_King_of_Marvin_Gardens_Last_Picture_S how_A_Safe_Place_Head_Easy_Rider

I've been putting off on 5 Easy Pieces, so it'll be the perfect time to get it. Never wanted Easy Rider. I'll be glad to add the others to my collection though.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Nice to see a pair of obscure Jack Nicholson films, DRIVE HE SAID (a Nicholson directed film) and A SAFE PLACE being released, as both never had a VHS release. Still weird they throw in LAST PICTURE SHOW, considering they just released this with NICKELODEON, at least Sony went to their archieves for some rarity this time.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been waiting patiently for decent SEs of both Five Easy Pieces and The King of Marvin Gardens, but there's no indication of extras...and that appears to be some hefty SRP doesn't it?

WadeM

Supporting Actor

Never seen A Safe Place, but Jack Nicholson and Orson Welles ?!?! I'll have to see it just for that combo.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Any release date? I too was first taken back on The Last Picture Show being part of the collection since it was just released two weeks ago, but then realized that all the films from the indi production company of BBS so it makes sense. I am looking forward to seeing both A Safe Place and Drive He Said as I have heard and read about these films, but never seen them. Thank you Sony.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
this is one of those boxsets that should have come out years ago to coincide with the whole Easy Riders Raging Bulls experience.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I think it's safe to say Sony is now the best studio out there. I watched DRIVE, HE SAID sometime last year and it wasn't too bad. I never thought it would get an official release and the same with A SAFE PLACE, which is a title I've been looking for but was never able to locate throughout any of the online sites that deal with rare movies. A major thumbs up for Sony.

walter o

Supporting Actor

It is a very weird film, almost like a dream, no real structure, basically "is Tuesday Weld dreaming or is this reality" sorta thing. Orson Welles plays a magician/father figure type, and Tuesday is absolutely wonderful (and beautiful) in the film.Wwonder how it will look for the one time I saw it, the film has a very hazy photography, which I am guessing was intentional.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I'm a little concerned about this release of HEAD. According to my source at Rhino, who are leasing the film back to Sony for this package, Rafelson is pulling a pre-HD William Friedkin trip and insisting on a 1.33 ratio for all his movies in the set, despite the fact that HEAD is clearly composed for 1.66, right down to the mattes visible in the old Rhino full-frame transfer. I hope this is just misinformation or that someone has talked him down.

It sounds pretty plausible. As I recall, his recent DTV outing ONE GOOD DEED with Samuel L. Jackson and Milla Jovovich was also presented on DVD in 1.33 despite getting limited theatrical play in 1.85.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

It's funny, as that's not a statement you'll read in the TV DVD section right below here.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
In light of the upcoming Toho, Noir, and Fuller sets, I would agree with you.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

With Warner taking a swift nosedive over the past year, there is no doubt about it. Sony annoucements get me excited the way I use to get from Warner annoucements.

This is a great idea for a boxset, and I am looking forward to finally geting a chance to seen Drive, He Said.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
We'll have to see. I hope he's wrong. Although I could at least understand (not agree with) that position in the olden days of 4:3 TVs, I just don't see why a director would choose that in today's world of widescreen TVs. I tried finding more information on this set, and someone at Criterion Forum who apparently works for Sony stated " a lot of care has been put into the set -- including major new restorations! -- and it's nothing to scoff at." Right now I'm holding off judgement until the specs are released. • View topic - Criterion and Sony

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Even though I already own three of the films, I'll buy it for Head alone!!!

Can't wait for more details and art work!

Charles H

Screenwriter
Double (or more) dipping for THE LAST PICTURE SHOW is odd. I would hope that if they are intent on capturing the zeitgeist of the period, the would bring out a Warren Beatty collection: SHAMPOO: SE, , MICKEY ONE, ISHTAR, and THE FORTUNE.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Nice set! Good to see Sony still digging into their catalog while other studios seem to be slowing down. Like others, I really do not need Last Picture Show again. Just bought it again with Nickelodeon. They will probably also release it on Blu ray before too long.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Albert_M ">[/url]

[/QUOTE]It's funny, as that's not a statement you'll read in the TV DVD section right below here.

I remember reading well over a year ago that Sony was getting ready to gear up their catalog releases. TV was to follow a year after that. They certainly have ramped up on their catalog stuff, so perhaps TV is on the way.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Will Head finally be released in widescreen? The King of Marvin Gardens is quite a gem that is worth discovering, it's one of those films that somehow escaped a wide release anmd major acclaim, but has great performances you won't forget. But then, any film with Nicholson, Dern, and Burstyn in it is worth watching, especially when all three share the story!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks