What's new

The new enemy of the HD Formats is Noise Reduction! (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You're comparing apples and oranges. That example is not the typical "I don't like the look irrespective of how closely it matches the original film". The skepticism has to do with whether it does match the original film. You can say "Yes it does, because certain people said so", but that's a different contention than saying "I don't care if it matches what I saw in the theater, I don't like the looks of it".

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Actually paidgeek said "a representative from Zoetrope relayed Coppola's wishes to the transfer people at Sony" (paraphrased)
I think Coppola has been pretty busy lately.

And, "Hearts Of Darkness" is finally out on DVD!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Sorry if I was mistaken about that issue. I could have sworn it was more definitive than that... but it's been a while since I've read that thread (or been to AVS in general) and I had remembered his comments about the director's approval of the look to be more declarative.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
To actually contribute to this topic though, (as I do tend to ramble!)
I would rather see a grainy image anyday then a smoothed over and then artificially sharpened transfer. Ironic that while so many people want to remove all hints of grain, we have filmmakers shooting digitally, (300) or CGI films like Moster House where they ADD artificial grain!

:)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I acutally had a few projects that I shot digitally, where I added specs of dirt and dust (very subtlety, if you didn't know to look for it you probably wouldn't see it) to give people the subconscious idea that they were looking at film and not video.

Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
300 was shot on film (Super 35, to be precise), but entirely against green screen and composited digitally with digitally rendered backgrounds.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Is it possible that the majority of people complaining about grain just have miscalibrated sets?

Haven't seen 300, but a brief glance at the HD Trailers makes me wonder why people are so anti-grain.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's not a big mystery. Those people equate "HD" with "looks like Discovery HD theater". Film doesn't look like that, so it's labeled "bad".

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

300 looks a little soft to me, despite the "grain". I didn't see it theatrically, so I don't know how sharp/detailed it was intended to appear. But when I saw the Blu-ray Disc (HD DVD equivilent VC-1 encode) I remember thinking "hmmm. not as sharp/detailed as other titles). I'm assuming that it either looks the way it should or that WB filtered it to ease compression... they've been known to filter HF detail on other transfers to ease compression demands so it wouldn't be unusual.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I saw 300 in the theater and also on Blu-ray, via PS3, at a co-worker's house. To my eye, the theatrical presentation and the home presentation looked just about the same. The high frequency filtering that occurs with my HX81 TV annoys the hell out of me most times, but on 300 I actually preferred the filtered picture over the "original". All of that artificial grain just looked like so much noise, both theatrically and home video-wise.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
There's an psychological effect known as the uncanny valley: the more "photorealistic" the simulation, the more onlookers become aware that it's just a simulation. Perhaps gamers compensate for this, unconsciously training their eyes to appreciate grain free "perfect" images, devoid of the imperfections and spark of real human actors.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Without mentioning names, there was an ISF calibrator on another forum claiming film grain can not be seen with 1920X1080 resolutions; he stated the grain in most cases it too small to be seen (excluding some titles like "300"). He claims people thinking they see film grain are seeing video noise. I think he's completely wrong. To my eyes, film grain has a finer, distinct, pattern look to it where as video noise (mosquite noise, artifacting, etc.) looks otherwise.

Anyone else's thoughts on this issue?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I could easily see film grain on my old 480p setup, to say it's not visible in 1080p is ridiculous.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Leaving specs and theory aside, if it looks like a duck it's a duck.

From a 1-screen-width distance, "film grain" in 1920 x 1080 HD looks like the film-grain in a 35mm release print, not video noise.

Now, if he's talking about the fine-film-grain in a 70mm camera negative... he might have a point. But that's not really what we're talking about for the most part when we say "film grain".

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

D'OOOOH! Between this and the lack of lossless, I'm hoping they do a new encode for Blu. Upsetting as it is, it gives me a little more resolve in waiting to buy it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I think I read that one though I don't recall that poster offering a good alternative explanation for the "grain" visible in certain samples posted there, eg. one capture of the Alcatraz battle scene in X-Men 3.

I don't really know myself, but I'd submit that his logic might be a bit faulty in practice. For instance, if I took a noisy, ISO1600, 10MP digital SLR photo and resize it a good deal down to say 2MP or even 1MP, the noise would still be quite visible even though that should not be the case if you follow his logic regarding the sampling of film grain.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks